1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Difference between a Southern Baptist and Reformed Baptist....?

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by ImmersionX, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImmersionX

ImmersionX New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    What's the difference between a southern Baptist and reformed Baptist???

When Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding....

the southern Baptist said: It wasnt' wine it was grapejuice......

and the reformed Baptist said:

Who planned this wedding, and why on earth didn't they order enough wine!?!?!

^_^

PrincetonGuy likes this.
  2. A Brother In Christ

A Brother In Christ Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    in the greek ... eph 5:18 is the same word as in John for wedding

the wine was not the point

Jesus was showing a miracle of his control of time... by being outside time .. the creator

3. trinityisunity

trinityisunity Has lost 14 kilos (31 pounds) in 14 weeks!!!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there such a thing as a Northern Baptist???

4. DeaconDean

DeaconDean γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    nm

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  5. arunma

arunma Flaming Calvinist

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    So I'm still trying to figure out what the joke is saying about Reformed Baptists. I probably should get it, being Reformed and all.

6. ImmersionX

ImmersionX New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Ok welp I see NOONE here got that.

Just a joke people....lighten up a bit eh?

Oh, and I am a Southern Baptist. So stop with the misconception lectures k? My pastor(a graduate of Southwestern Theological Seminary w/ a Master's in Divinity) honestly preaches that it wasn't wine, as we know it today, but actually unfermented grape juice. I honestly don't care, I got over the wine vs. grapejuice agruements a long time ago....just a joke people.
    :doh::doh::doh:

Peace.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  7. PrincetonGuy

PrincetonGuy Veteran

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it was a joke :D, and a very good one, but it does illustrate a point in a very humorous and non-insulting manner :). The more Reformed a Reformed Baptist is, the more likely it is that his church uses real wine rather than a substitute during the celebration of the Eucharist :liturgy:. And, the more Reformed a Reformed Baptist is, the more likely it is that his church employs a pastor who follows the Reformed tradition of excellence in education :idea:. Personally, I am about as un-Reformed a Baptist as there is, but like them, I believe that excellence in education is very important :cool:, and I do not believe that the view that unfermented grape juice was served at first century Jewish weddings is academically defensible :sorry:—but that does not mean, in my opinion, that we necessarily should serve real wine in our celebration of the Eucharist. Nor are these words intended to suggest that there are not any Southern Baptist Pastors who have an excellent education—indeed, there are many of them—but only that some Baptist groups place more emphasis on academic excellence than do others. Indeed, some Baptist groups (not Southern Baptists!), which I shall not name, are very critical of an academic education and an academic approach to studying the Bible because they believe that such an approach quenches the ministry of the Holy Spirit and substitutes the wisdom of men for the wisdom of God.

ImmersionX likes this.
  8. ImmersionX

ImmersionX New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Protestant
    Oh I agee with you 100%....my pastor is way off on that one I believe.

PrincetonGuy likes this.
  9. MrJim

MrJim Legend

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    Guess technically if one was to use wine because it was what Jesus used, then unleavened bread would have to be used-just to be consistent;)

10. holyrokker

holyrokker Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Growing up, I had neighbors who were part of the Northen Baptist Convention. My sister even graduated from one of their colleges.

A N.B.C. seminary professor would probably claim that the passage could be translated as Jesus turning water into beer, and it would have the same general meaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.