United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I contend that KIND = GENUS.

Here is the Biblical definition of the word KIND:[VERSE=Genesis 1:11,KJV]And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.[/VERSE]And here is the etymology of the word GENUS:
from Latin genus (genitive generis) "race, stock, kind; family, birth, descent, origin,"
What say you?

Mr Strawberry

Jan 20, 2012
Great Britain
✟12,542.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Here is the Biblical definition of the word KIND:[VERSE=Genesis 1:11,KJV]And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.[/VERSE]And here is the etymology of the word GENUS:What say you?
Does that quote imply then that all grasses are the same genus and all fruit trees are the same genus?

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does that quote imply then that all grasses are the same genus and all fruit trees are the same genus?
Very good question.

Let me run it through my Boolean standards.

[cue Jeopardy theme music] ... [end Jeopardy theme music]

No.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey, maybe here is a chance for me to actually change your mind, AV. : )

Lev. 19:19 states that there are different kinds of cattle (specifically, that one must not allow different kinds of cattle to mate).

“You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed; nor shall there come upon you a garment of cloth made of two ....."

Cattle are all the same Genus, and in fact are even the same species (Bos taurus). There are subspecies, which are different types of cattle. So it seems from this that "Kind" must be at or below "species", going by a strictly literal reading of scripture.

What do you think?

Papias

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think?
[VERSE=Leviticus 19:19,KJV]Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.[/VERSE]I think you're assuming it is saying, "Don't let your cattle breed with other types of cattle."

Instead of, "Don't let your cattle breed with horses."

"Diverse kind" = "diverse genera".

Such as Bos and Equus.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
[VERSE=Leviticus 19:19,KJV]Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.[/VERSE]I think you're assuming it is saying, "Don't let your cattle breed with other types of cattle."

Instead of, "Don't let your cattle breed with horses."

"Diverse kind" = "diverse genera".

Such as Bos and Equus.

I think that the laws are all given to prevent people from doing something that they could (otherwise) do. Obviously, if something is impossible anyway, there is no point to make a law against it. You can't breed horses and cattle - and if anyone would know this, it would be God. So it seems that the law is most likely about something that can and was done - such as breeding different types of cattle (which were present then).

Right?

Papias

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that the laws are all given to prevent people from doing something that they could (otherwise) do. Obviously, if something is impossible anyway, there is no point to make a law against it. You can't breed horses and cattle - and if anyone would know this, it would be God. So it seems that the law is most likely about something that can and was done - such as breeding different types of cattle (which were present then).

Right?

Papias
Good point.

I'll have to cogitate somewhat on that.

:)

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

Here is the Biblical definition of the word KIND:[VERSE=Genesis 1:11,KJV]And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.[/VERSE]And here is the etymology of the word GENUS:What say you?

What criteria do you use to determine if two species belong in the same genus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Scientists are considering putting chimps into the Homo genus.

"Now, biologists at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Michigan, provide new genetic evidence that lineages of chimps (currently Pan troglodytes) and humans (Homo sapiens) diverged so recently that chimps should be reclassed as Homo troglodytes. The move would make chimps full members of our genus Homo, along with Neandertals, and all other human-like fossil species. "We humans appear as only slightly remodeled chimpanzee-like apes," says the study."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0520_030520_chimpanzees.html

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Do not use any of those names used by evolution biologists. It only confused the understanding.

I seriously gave a definition and defended it before and it still stands now:
Kind: Lifeforms with similar property and function.
The key idea is: Once a life is classified, then do not change it until a practical conflict becomes obvious. Example: Dog kind, Cat kind (no lions in it), Ox kind, etc.
A creation biologist should try to re-establish this Biblical classification, which Adam had it done long long time ago in the Garden.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds good to me! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Do not use any of those names used by evolution biologists. It only confused the understanding.

All eukaryotes, from humans to trees to amoeba, have similar properties and functions.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private

Are gorillas, chimps, and orangutans all related?

Upvote 0

Aggie

Soldier of Knowledge
Jan 18, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Common bottlenose dolphins can interbreed with false killer whales, even though they aren't the same genus. (That's how a wholphin is produced.) Bottlenose dolphins belong to the genus Tursiops, while false killer whales are the genus Pseudorca.

AV, since you consider "kind" to mean the same thing as genus, does that mean you accept that members of different kinds are able to interbreed with one another?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Common bottlenose dolphins can interbreed with false killer whales, even though they aren't the same genus. (That's how a wholphin is produced.) Bottlenose dolphins belong to the genus Tursiops, while false killer whales are the genus Pseudorca.

AV, since you consider "kind" to mean the same thing as genus, does that mean you accept that members of different kinds are able to interbreed with one another?
Perhaps God's genera list is a little different from Linnaeus'?

This means Linneaues' list is wrong.

Give it time.

All it takes is a discovery and bingo, bottlenose dolphins and false killer whales are under the same umbrella.

Note where Jonah is swallowed by a fish:[VERSE=Jonah 1:17,KJV]Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.[/VERSE]Later identified by Jesus as a whale:[VERSE=Matthew 12:40,KJV]For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.[/VERSE]Note also where a dinosaur has a navel:[VERSE=Job 40:16,KJV]Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.[/VERSE]These are pending discoveries that just might be made before the LORD returns.

Upvote 0