The cleansing of the sanctuary....how was the sanctuary defiled?

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the day of atonement the high priest would enter into the most holy place of the earthly sanctuary. This was the only time during the year he would do so. As part of the day of atonement type he would then cleanse the sanctuary:

Lev 16:16 Thus he shall make atonement for the Holy Place, because of the uncleannesses of the people of Israel and because of their transgressions, all their sins. And so he shall do for the tent of meeting, which dwells with them in the midst of their uncleannesses.
Lev 16:17 No one may be in the tent of meeting from the time he enters to make atonement in the Holy Place until he comes out and has made atonement for himself and for his house and for all the assembly of Israel.

The new testament affirms that there is also a necessity of cleansing for the heavenly sanctuary:

Heb 9:22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.
Heb 9:23 Thus it was necessary for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these rites, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

The question of this thread is how did the system in Leviticus work? How was the sanctuary defiled? Why did it need cleansing? What is the relation of the sin offerings throughout the year, and the day of atonement cleansing on the 10th day of the 7th month?

For some this may be a new line of thought. Here are some views to get you thinking.

View 1:

Jacob Milgrom, one of the leading scholars on Leviticus (who is of the Jewish faith), believes:

a. sin automatically defiles at commission.
b. the sacrifices are not for the person but for cleansing the sanctuary so God's presence does not depart.
c. The regular sin offering is for unintentional sin, and cleanses the outer altar. The sin offering for the high priest penetrates deeper and the offerings, some of the blood of which goes into the holy place, cleanses the first compartment. High handed intentional sins penetrate, in Milgrom's view, to the most holy place and are cleansed on the day of atonement.

View 2 :

Milgrom's student, who is a Seventh-day by the name of Roy Gane, proposed an alternate view of the workings of the sanctuary. It is in fact more or less the same view Adventists have had all along, but his is probably the most sophisticated presentation of it. He has written a book on his system of the sanctuary and wrote the NIV Application commentary for Leviticus where he promotes his view.

He sees the following:

a. The sin offering does atone for the individual. In this he challenges Milgrom.
b. The sin offering however is the means for transferring the sin from the one offering the sacrifice to the sanctuary. The sin is contained in the blood which leaves the record of sin in the sanctuary. Or other times it is transferred by the priest eating the portion for the sin offering, and again Gane sees it being transferred to the sanctuary.
c. defilement then is not automatic at the time of committing the sin, but rather happens when the sacrifice is made. Those high-handed sins which have no sacrifice are atoned for by killing the person who did them.
d. At the end of the year all the stored up sins are cleansed on the day of atonement.

View 3:

This is my current view but I have previously held view number 2 and am open to various lines of evidence, new views, etc.
a. The sin offering forgives the individual.
b. The cleansing of the day of atonement is simply the corporate picture of forgiveness. In other words the day of atonement is an annual reminder of God's provision for all the sin of the camp. The individual sin offering is the chance for the individual to bring the animal from his own heard, kill the animal with his own hand, and confess his own sin.
Both are reminders of the same principle that the blood of the sacrifice forgives.
In this scenario sin is transferred to the sanctuary simply by the sanctuary being among sinful people. The cleansing represents the provision for all sin by blood, but is a corporate picture.

Other views?

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The view translated to the NT

a.
Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

b.
OT reconciliation same word as atonement
Strongs
3722 Lev. 6:30, 8:15, 16:20; Eze 45:15,17;Dan 9:24
to cover, nullify, pardon, reconcile

reconciled: past tence only in NT
Strongs
604 Col 1:21-22
2644 Ro etc.

Rom 5:11 KJV
11And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Colossians 1:22
But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
for those who want a Messianic Jewish approach to the sacrificial system, and it's relation to Messiah, consider this set of free bible studies (not for the faint hearted, or those who do not see the point of study).

they can be accessed (and downloaded) freely from...

Kehilat T'Nuvah, The Harvest: A Messianic Charismatic Congregation (the homepage)

or directly to the audio page - scroll down to Towards Understanding Sacrifices and Atonement (there's a pdf commentary and all of the files).

Steve

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
for those who want a Messianic Jewish approach to the sacrificial system, and it's relation to Messiah, consider this set of free bible studies (not for the faint hearted, or those who do not see the point of study).

Kehilat T'Nuvah, The Harvest: A Messianic Charismatic Congregation (the homepage)

or directly to the audio page - scroll down to Towards Understanding Sacrifices and Atonement (there's a pdf commentary and all of the files).

Steve
Interesting sites but that would only help the Jews of today to figure out how their future Messiah will provide eternal Atonement thru the sacrifice of animals.

Also, from what I know, the Jews have been trying to breed a 'Red Heifer' in order raise up yet another Preisthood and to cleanse the Sanctuary when it is built as per Leviticus. Thoughts?

The Red Heifer, by Rabbi Chaim Richman

The Mystery of the Red Heifer:
Divine Promise of Purity

Kindgdom Bible Studies Ashes of a Red Heifer Part 1
THE ASHES OF A RED HEIFER
*snip*

...........Numbers 19 is a most unusual chapter in the Old Testament. All the offerings in the Bible are bullocks and rams, but here there is an exception - a heifer, a female cow whose never given birth. All the offerings in the Old Testament are slaughtered and offered to God, but this offering of the red heifer, though killed and burned, is very different from the rest. While all others are offered to God to meet current claims - that is, the sin-offering, the burnt offering, or the peace offering according to the need of the day - the red heifer alone was not for the present need.

It was offered to meet future needs. The ordinance of the red heifer stands alone. While other sacrifices are often brought before us, this recorded in no other part of Israel's history................

Studies In The Scriptures - Tabernacle Shadows - Chapter 4

The Order of the Type and Its Antitypical Significations--The Bullock-- The Priest--The Entrance of the Holies with the Blood--The Incense, the Sweet Odor and the Stench--Entering the Most Holy--The Lord's Goat--The Scapegoat--The Blessing of the People.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Steve

I started with the PDF commentary. They seem to be taking Milgrom's view with regard to the purification being for the sanctuary, not the worshiper.

Thus, the Levitical sacrifices were not for obtaining personal forgiveness or for making the worshipper clean. In this sense, they were not like the cross of Yeshua, which does bring forgiveness to the worshipper and makes him or her clean. They were to clean the sanctuary of the people’s sins and impurities so God’s presence could dwell in a clean place.

The person was cleansed and therefore the defilement of the sanctuary was cleansed. The defilement was a direct result of being in the midst of the unclean people.

See particularly Lev. 4:35

Lev 4:35 And all its fat he shall remove as the fat of the lamb is removed from the sacrifice of peace offerings, and the priest shall burn it on the altar, on top of the LORD's food offerings. And the priest shall make atonement for him for the sin which he has committed, and he shall be forgiven.

It made atonement for him...but also forgave him.

I think Gane has recently demonstrated that the offerings did bring forgiveness for the worshiper. Now I disagree with Gane on the means of the sins being placed on the sanctuary. He thinks the sacrifices themselves transferred sin TO the sanctuary.

But that seems totally against the whole set of purity laws that kept sin intentionally at a distance and made strict requirements for purification precisely to remove the uncleanness which defiled the sanctuary.

It is my view that by cleansing the person of the defilement they also cleansed the sanctuary of that defilement. The defilement was in direct connection to the sanctuary being in the midst of the unclean camp. This is also seen in the day of atonement ritual, which I see as a corporate picture of the same truth as the sacrifices:

Lev 16:16 Thus he shall make atonement for the Holy Place, because of the uncleannesses of the people of Israel and because of their transgressions, all their sins. And so he shall do for the tent of meeting, which dwells with them in the midst of their uncleannesses.

After saying he agreed with the two quotes upholding the idea of it being to cleanse the sanctuary and not to make forgiveness he then went on to point out OT examples that clearly state the person was forgiven. This seems inconsistent.

I will have to read through the rest when I get back from work.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Subscribing to follow this conversation ... :) I think the yearly idea of attonment is represented and manifested in my own Church in several sacramental acts. One for sure is the Eucaristic assembly where the "concecration" takes place every time the priest celebrates the Divine Liturgy (Eucarist) and also the Holy Unction comes to mind that is a yearly sacrament celebrated on Holy Wednesday... There the idea of the "cleansing" of one's sins and defilement takes place...And I agree about the communal/ gathering or collective idea of purification from sin. That is defenately the purpose.

Later ....

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
and now we all understand why it is 'day of atonementS' (plural) NOT 'day of atonement' (singular).

Steve

p.s. for LLOJ, howl long ago is it that you listened to them, and did you find them useful, as I have listened to them quite a few times and completely disagree with your appraisal.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
and now we all understand why it is 'day of atonementS' (plural) NOT 'day of atonement' (singular).

Steve

p.s. for LLOJ, howl long ago is it that you listened to them, and did you find them useful, as I have listened to them quite a few times and completely disagree with your appraisal.
Many Christians here on CF disagree with my appraisal as they do with the SDA's/Messianics appraisal......what is your point? :confused:

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians here on CF disagree with my appraisal as they do with the SDA's/Messianics appraisal......what is your point? :confused:

my point is, that I do not actually think you have listened to the teachings and are basing your opinion on the website itself (or just your pre-conceived opinions as to what some messianic types believe)... but feel free to call me a liar and a person casting false aspersions.

Steve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
my point is, that I do not actually think you have listened to the teachings and are basing your opinion on the website itself (or just your pre-conceived opinions as to what some messianic types believe)... but feel free to call me a liar and a person casting false aspersions.

Steve
God forgive! I do that. I am well aware of the Sabbatarian Messianics/SDA's views of the Bible as are the Jews :)

http://www.christianforums.com/t7414707/
Question of Jews on Messianic Christians

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rev 21 said:
And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Am I correct in saying it's believed by supporters of the I.J. that there was a time something entered the Most Holy Place ( in heaven ) and did defile it? Would that not indicate that something unclean did enter into heaven?

I realize that Satan was kicked out of heaven however, aside from Satan himself and the other angels causing the M.H.P. to be stained, what 'entered' ( as in from the outside ) that caused it to need cleaning?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Am I correct in saying it's believed by supporters of the I.J. that there was a time something entered the Most Holy Place ( in heaven ) and did defile it? Would that not indicate that something unclean did enter into heaven?

I realize that Satan was kicked out of heaven however, aside from Satan himself and the other angels causing the M.H.P. to be stained, what 'entered' ( as in from the outside ) that caused it to need cleaning?

Pythons,

Based on their understanding of the levitical types Adventists believe that Jesus' blood transferred sin to the heavenly sanctuary:

As the sins of the people were anciently transferred, in figure, to the earthly sanctuary by the blood of the sin offering, so our sins are, in fact, transferred to the heavenly sanctuary by the blood of Christ.
Ellen White, Story of Redemption, page 378.

They see the sin offerings as transferring the sin to the sanctuary. Then on the day of atonement the sins are cleansed from the sanctuary and put on Satan, who they see as the scapegoat.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It says satan defiled "his" santuaries.

Ezek 28:18“ You defiled your sanctuaries
By the multitude of your iniquities,
By the iniquity of your trading;
Therefore I brought fire from your midst;

Jesus also cleaned the temple of merchants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pythons,

Based on their understanding of the levitical types Adventists believe that Jesus' blood transferred sin to the heavenly sanctuary:

As the sins of the people were anciently transferred, in figure, to the earthly sanctuary by the blood of the sin offering, so our sins are, in fact, transferred to the heavenly sanctuary by the blood of Christ.
Ellen White, Story of Redemption, page 378.

They see the sin offerings as transferring the sin to the sanctuary. Then on the day of atonement the sins are cleansed from the sanctuary and put on Satan, who they see as the scapegoat.

The Savior's blood 1st defiled then cleansed the Sanctuary?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pythons,

As the sins of the people were anciently transferred, in figure, to the earthly sanctuary by the blood of the sin offering, so our sins are, in fact, transferred to the heavenly sanctuary by the blood of Christ. Ellen White, Story of Redemption, page 378.

Did the SDA's give any scripture?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the author that those in the OT times were granted true forgiveness, not on the basis of the animals, but by trusting in God for forgiveness, and ultimately upon the basis of Christ's true cleansing.

Therefore those in the Old Testament were truly forgiven by Christ's work when they by faith looked to God for forgiveness. And the sanctuary was given as God's means to dwell among the sinful people and participation was by no means optional. Therefore the sacrifices were a means of looking to the true sacrifice of Christ, even among those who did not realize all the details of Christ's future sacrifice.

I did have an item of disagreement though. On the issue of David and his attitude making the sacrifices effective, I would say that in David's case we actually have forgiveness of sins APART from the sacrifices. There was no sacrifice for his kind of sin.

While the right spirit was undoubtedly a key ingredient of the true forgiveness available to the Israelites, yet there was no sacrifice that could be given for murder as outlined in the type.

Num 35:33 You shall not pollute the land in which you live, for blood pollutes the land, and no atonement can be made for the land for the blood that is shed in it, except by the blood of the one who shed it.

God forgave David despite this, but it would have been apart from the sacrificial system as there was no provision for such a sin in the system.

We see that God forgave David immediately, apart from any sacrifice:

2Sa 12:12 For you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel and before the sun.'"
2Sa 12:13 David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has put away your sin; you shall not die.

After his forgiveness however he did bring offerings, etc. out of thanksgiving.

Psa 51:16 For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
Psa 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Psa 51:18 Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; build up the walls of Jerusalem;
Psa 51:19 then will you delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

The sacrifice of Christ however is still the basis of David's forgiveness. So it extends to sins that had no provision made for them in the sanctuary system.

The argument that the day of atonement forgave even willful sins seems to have some basis given the terms used to describe the sins forgiven, including transgressions.

However, some sins the person would have no option of forgiveness for on the day of atonement precisely because God said that they were to be killed. They would not live until the day of atonement.

MAL 2:11 Judah has broken faith. A detestable thing has been committed in Israel and in Jerusalem: Judah has desecrated the sanctuary the LORD loves, by marrying the daughter of a foreign god. 12 As for the man who does this, whoever he may be, may the LORD cut him off from the tents of Jacob--even though he brings offerings to the LORD Almighty.

Yet we still see forgiveness for ones such as David and Manasseh who truly repented, even without sacrifices. And this was despite the plain fact that they violated laws that demanded death.

2Ch 33:11 Therefore the LORD brought upon them the commanders of the army of the king of Assyria, who captured Manasseh with hooks and bound him with chains of bronze and brought him to Babylon.
2Ch 33:12 And when he was in distress, he entreated the favor of the LORD his God and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers.
2Ch 33:13 He prayed to him, and God was moved by his entreaty and heard his plea and brought him again to Jerusalem into his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the LORD was God.

But I agree with the author that these too were forgiven by Christ's sacrifice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Savior's blood 1st defiled then cleansed the Sanctuary?

They would probably object to the use of the term defiled, but essentially they see Jesus as transferring sin to the sanctuary and then cleansing it at the end of time through judgment and review of the books, which they see as beginning in 1844.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did the SDA's give any scripture?

Yes, they see the blood being transferred in the application of blood in the sin offerings, in the eating of the priestly portion of the sin offering by the priest.

They particularly cite Lev. 10:17 as evidence of this transfer of sin through the sin offering.

As I mentioned above the most sophisticated defense of their view is Roy Gane's work. His commentary on Lev. for Zondervan and his book "Cult and Character" outline his views.

If you don't want to buy those you might check out his free popular work online which gives his basic views as well:

http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/altar/index.htm

Upvote 0