The Church That Donald Trump Says He Goes to ‘A Lot’ Says He’s Not an ‘Active Member’

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
THE BLAZE
Aug. 28, 2015 5:17pm Mike Opelka
The New York City church that Donald Trump said he attends says he is not actually an active member.

Trump was asked which church he goes to while campaigning in South Carolina on Thursday.

“I am Presbyterian, Protestant. I go to Marble Collegiate Church. The church I was originally with was the First Presbyterian Church in Jamaica, which is out in Queens, New York,” Trump responded. “And I’ve had just great experiences in church, whether it’s Sunday school or whatever it may be. But, now I go to Marble Collegiate Church.”
Full Article

Reactions: TheoNewstoss

amanuensis63

Nov 29, 2014
✟7,455.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I love the recent spate of Trump-isms about the Bible being his favorite book. And I like the fact that he can't even be bothered to give any of his favorite quotes (he claims it's too personal....which is funny because it clearly isn't too personal for him to decree the Bible is his favorite book!)

Trump is playing his base and he learned from Palin that you don't even have to be very smart about it...the base isn't watching all that closely. Someone is just confirming their biases in the most gross manner and that's good enough!

Upvote 0

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Maybe Mr.Trump thought that there was a confidentiality clause with the church officials and they couldn't refute his claims about being a member of the congregation.
He should have maybe given them a lot of money to do what he wanted them to do. Recalling his remarks about how he gives politicians a lot of money for that same reason.

I look forward to how he's going to respond to this one.

Reactions: TheoNewstoss
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Won't be voting for Trump, but do you go to the church does that make you an "Active Member" automatically.
I know the Church that I'be been going to and working at for about 16+ years, I'm not an official "Active Member"

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Won't be voting for Trump, but do you go to the church does that make you an "Active Member" automatically.
I know the Church that I'be been going to and working at for about 16+ years, I'm not an official "Active Member"

I'm definitely not trying to spin this whole Trump issue, because I don't really like the man for political office, but I agree with this. You can attend a church regularly and not be an active member.

And the article even points out that Trump didn't actually say he's an active member. He clearly says that he goes all over the place because he's often all over the country.

To me, this is kind of a moot issue.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟102,861.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not a Trump fan and won't be voting for him.

But I looked up the church and being an active member is not merely attending church. Even if he went every day, that wouldn't make him a "member".

At any rate, he might even mean "a lot" in reference to stereotypes that most people don't go to church that often anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amanuensis63

Nov 29, 2014
✟7,455.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm definitely not trying to spin this whole Trump issue, because I don't really like the man for political office, but I agree with this. You can attend a church regularly and not be an active member.

And the article even points out that Trump didn't actually say he's an active member. He clearly says that he goes all over the place because he's often all over the country.

To me, this is kind of a moot issue.

This is true and shouldn't really matter, except that Trump's behavior seems to be to pander to the most base aspects of human behavior in order to get more attention on himself.

He could have left religion out of it altogether and not lost anyone, but he knew if he ginned up some fealty toward the Bible as his FAVORITE book it would get more votes. This seems disingenuous bordering on dishonest. A ploy. And it is sad that the people who may vote based on values would lap it up.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So what makes a member an active member? Is it volunteering for stuff in the church? Leading Bible Studies? How does one become an active member?

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟102,861.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So what makes a member an active member? Is it volunteering for stuff in the church? Leading Bible Studies? How does one become an active member?

Become a member link.

Let us know. Speak with someone wearing a red carnation after the service on Sundays or Wednesdays. You’ll find them next to the chancel or at the Welcome Table. If you worship with us online you can submit the form below along with an email to Membership@MarbleChurch.org.

Fill out a New Member Information Form, and submit it online, or in person on Sunday or Wednesday.

Attend our three-part Membership Series, scheduled on Sundays or watch for a “Pop-Up” express series Wednesday evenings.

• Orientation: You’ll have the opportunity to get to know one another, ask any questions you may have, meet Senior Minister, Dr. Michael Brown and other members of the staff and learn more about Marble.
  • Connect with us: This luncheon is designed to enrich your experience at Marble, and to explore how you can spark, or continue your faith journey with us.
  • Reception of New Members: Finally, experience the full Marble welcome as you are received into the community during the worship service.

There you go. More at the link.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Membership usually involves doing something to get you on the membership rolls. Usually it's just talking to the pastor or someone else in the church's leadership, or just signing a piece of paper that says "I want to be a member of this church". I attended my current church for well over a year until one of the greeters, who had seen me come regularly asked if I was interested in becoming an official member, I said sure. The difference between being an official member vs being just an attendee? Not much, I get the church newsletter in the mail every couple of months, that's about it. I suppose it would also mean ways of getting more involved in the community efforts, though I sincerely doubt they would turn down volunteers to help out with food collection and the food kitchen regardless of membership status.

Of course, that depends largely on the church. Mileage will vary.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
He may go a lot, but I doubt he listens. Why else would he say taking communion is a form of asking for forgiveness?

That wouldn't, technically, be wrong. That is, there is forgiveness in the Eucharist. Since we receive the body and blood of Christ "in and under" the bread and the wine. Though that's a pretty Lutheran way of seeing it. Trumps remarks about the Sacrament, however, seemed to demonstrate a fairly "meh, I guess" disposition--that certainly wasn't very convincing. But, strictly speaking, to say that there is forgiveness in the Lord's Supper is a normative Christian sentiment, at least within traditional, sacramental circles.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟181,069.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
That wouldn't, technically, be wrong. That is, there is forgiveness in the Eucharist. Since we receive the body and blood of Christ "in and under" the bread and the wine. Though that's a pretty Lutheran way of seeing it. Trumps remarks about the Sacrament, however, seemed to demonstrate a fairly "meh, I guess" disposition--that certainly wasn't very convincing. But, strictly speaking, to say that there is forgiveness in the Lord's Supper is a normative Christian sentiment, at least within traditional, sacramental circles.

-CryptoLutheran
Well there you have it....Trump knows more about it than me.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well there you have it....Trump knows more about it than me.

I doubt Trump knows much about the Eucharistic theology of the Presbyterian tradition; I was merely pointing out that saying the Lord's Supper involves forgiveness wouldn't be an untrue statement, theologically speaking (at least from a Lutheran position). Since forgiveness is found objectively in the work of Jesus Christ--His death and resurrection--and the means of God's grace conveying that forgiveness to us consists of Word and Sacrament.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whatever his membership status, does anybody really believe that Trump attends church more than a few times a year and that his faith is anything more than superficial? His outward faith is about as shallow and self-serving as Ann Coulter's, and the same crowd who was looking for ways to deny Obama's Christian faith is now looking for ways to exaggerate Trump's.

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0