New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Christmas Visitor

Martha looked out her window on that cold Christmas Eve morning. The snow had begun to taper off. She sat down in her rocker and began reflecting on spending another Christmas alone. Martha’s daughter and son-in-law and their two children lived quite a distance from her and Martha had no other family. They called regularly and they visited her each summer, but a call is not the same as a hug, a smile, and a chat and it was a long time until summer.

As Martha sat there rocking and thinking how few of her friends her age were still around, she fell asleep and began to dream. She dreamed that someone was knocking at her door.

As she opened it she saw a man with a kindly face.

May I shovel the snow from your walk?

It depends on how much you charge. I’m on a fixed income.

Oh, there will be no charge.

No charge! You’re kidding?

Oh, no ma’am.

Well, how do you make any money?

Oh, I am not doing this to make money, but to serve others.

Well, I’ll let you do it on one condition, and that is that you come in and have some hot chocolate and cookies afterwards.

Sounds like a good deal to me, the man said as he set off to begin his work.

Since the snow was so deep, it took him a while to finish the job.

Martha was so glad to have someone to talk to and share her cookies with that they seemed to sit and talk for at least an hour.

My family lives so far away and I miss them dearly and I must tell you that I am not looking forward to another Christmas alone. It’s lonely here during the winter and I’m afraid to get out in the bad weather and I hardly ever have visitors.

I have a feeling that it will be different this year, the visitor replied.

Time passed quickly and soon it was time for the visitor to leave.

You don’t know how much this meant to me. I don’t have to worry about finding someone to do my walk and I really enjoyed getting to share my cookies with someone. Would you mind if I gave you a hug?

I’d love one, the stranger replied.

After they hugged the stranger took hold of Martha’s hands. As she let go she noticed that his hands were scarred and wanted to ask him what caused it, but she refrained.

The visitor noticed Martha looking at his hands and said, It happened a long time ago when I was doing something for someone I loved.

They hugged again and then he left.

A short time later Martha awakened to the chime of the doorbell. She wondered who it could be, and hurried to the door to find out. As she opened the door she noticed Sarah, the young woman who had recently moved in next door.

Oh, hi Sarah. What can I do for you today?

Actually Martha, it is more what I can do for you. Because of our jobs, Bill and I aren’t going to be able to go home for Christmas, and we’d like for you to join is tomorrow if you don’t have other plans.

I’d love to! My daughter and son-in-law live too far away to come for Christmas, and to be honest with you, I wasn’t looking forward to spending the day by myself.

Great! Why don’t you plan on coming over for breakfast? Bill always fixes me a big breakfast for Christmas, and we’d love for you to enjoy it with us.

That sounds wonderful! What time do you want me to come over?

Is 9:00 too early?

No, that would be great. I’m always up before 7:00.

See, you tomorrow morning then.

As Sarah turned to leave Martha noticed that her walk had been shoveled.

By the way, Sarah, be sure and thank Bill for shoveling my walk.

Oh, Bill didn’t do it.

He didn’t! Do you have any idea who did?

He was a stranger to me, but he must have been someone familiar with the neighborhood, because the only two houses shoveled were yours and Mrs. Parkington’s. I guess he knew there was a man at all the other houses. Actually, that was what gave us the idea to invite you over.

They said good-bye, and Martha turned away from her door with a puzzled look on her face. She shut the door and went back to her rocker where she noticed on a table nearby sat two empty cups and a plate of cookie crumbs.

Copyright 2001 Steve Demaree

To God Be The Glory!

=====
Steve Demaree
1608 Summerhill Drive
Lexington, KY 40515
(606) 271-2416
moviesteve@rocketmail.com
Submitted by Richard
“One Nation Under God”

Reactions: Sennaria

ALISHA32

Aug 17, 2006
GULFPORT
✟15,274.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Christmas Visitor

Martha looked out her window on that cold Christmas Eve morning. The snow had begun to taper off. She sat down in her rocker and began reflecting on spending another Christmas alone. Martha’s daughter and son-in-law and their two children lived quite a distance from her and Martha had no other family. They called regularly and they visited her each summer, but a call is not the same as a hug, a smile, and a chat and it was a long time until summer.

As Martha sat there rocking and thinking how few of her friends her age were still around, she fell asleep and began to dream. She dreamed that someone was knocking at her door.

As she opened it she saw a man with a kindly face.

May I shovel the snow from your walk?

It depends on how much you charge. I’m on a fixed income.

Oh, there will be no charge.

No charge! You’re kidding?

Oh, no ma’am.

Well, how do you make any money?

Oh, I am not doing this to make money, but to serve others.

Well, I’ll let you do it on one condition, and that is that you come in and have some hot chocolate and cookies afterwards.

Sounds like a good deal to me, the man said as he set off to begin his work.

Since the snow was so deep, it took him a while to finish the job.

Martha was so glad to have someone to talk to and share her cookies with that they seemed to sit and talk for at least an hour.

My family lives so far away and I miss them dearly and I must tell you that I am not looking forward to another Christmas alone. It’s lonely here during the winter and I’m afraid to get out in the bad weather and I hardly ever have visitors.

I have a feeling that it will be different this year, the visitor replied.

Time passed quickly and soon it was time for the visitor to leave.

You don’t know how much this meant to me. I don’t have to worry about finding someone to do my walk and I really enjoyed getting to share my cookies with someone. Would you mind if I gave you a hug?

I’d love one, the stranger replied.

After they hugged the stranger took hold of Martha’s hands. As she let go she noticed that his hands were scarred and wanted to ask him what caused it, but she refrained.

The visitor noticed Martha looking at his hands and said, It happened a long time ago when I was doing something for someone I loved.

They hugged again and then he left.

A short time later Martha awakened to the chime of the doorbell. She wondered who it could be, and hurried to the door to find out. As she opened the door she noticed Sarah, the young woman who had recently moved in next door.

Oh, hi Sarah. What can I do for you today?

Actually Martha, it is more what I can do for you. Because of our jobs, Bill and I aren’t going to be able to go home for Christmas, and we’d like for you to join is tomorrow if you don’t have other plans.

I’d love to! My daughter and son-in-law live too far away to come for Christmas, and to be honest with you, I wasn’t looking forward to spending the day by myself.

Great! Why don’t you plan on coming over for breakfast? Bill always fixes me a big breakfast for Christmas, and we’d love for you to enjoy it with us.

That sounds wonderful! What time do you want me to come over?

Is 9:00 too early?

No, that would be great. I’m always up before 7:00.

See, you tomorrow morning then.

As Sarah turned to leave Martha noticed that her walk had been shoveled.

By the way, Sarah, be sure and thank Bill for shoveling my walk.

Oh, Bill didn’t do it.

He didn’t! Do you have any idea who did?

He was a stranger to me, but he must have been someone familiar with the neighborhood, because the only two houses shoveled were yours and Mrs. Parkington’s. I guess he knew there was a man at all the other houses. Actually, that was what gave us the idea to invite you over.

They said good-bye, and Martha turned away from her door with a puzzled look on her face. She shut the door and went back to her rocker where she noticed on a table nearby sat two empty cups and a plate of cookie crumbs.

Copyright 2001 Steve Demaree

To God Be The Glory!

=====
Steve Demaree
1608 Summerhill Drive
Lexington, KY 40515
(606) 271-2416
moviesteve@rocketmail.com
Submitted by Richard
“One Nation Under God”
thanks for the story i loved it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums