LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside." - C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

"'Eternal damnation', therefore, is not attributed to God's initiative because in his merciful love he can only desire the salvation of the beings he created. In reality, it is the creature who closes himself to his love. Damnation consists precisely in definitive separation from God, freely chosen by the human person and confirmed with death that seals his choice for ever. God’s judgement ratifies this state." - Pope St. John Paul II, General Audience (Wednesday 28 July 1999)

"According to the doctrine of the Church, 'an act of divine and Catholic faith must be made in what is contained in Gods word, either as it is written in Scripture or handed on by tradition and proposed by the Church, whether that be by way of a solemn decision or by the ordinary Magisterium, and the obligation to believe is demanded because it is divine revelation' (DS 3011). This 'credendum' includes the truths of faith (in the strict sense) and also those truths, witnessed to by revelation, which have a bearing on the moral life (DS 1501, 3074: 'fides et mores'; LG 25: 'fidem credendam et moribus applicandam')." - Vatican International Theological Commission - The Interpretation of Dogma

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon

FlaviusAetius

Nov 17, 2012
✟18,998.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here is the issue. Humans despite their admitted stubbornness aren't absolute in their feelings. So why isn't it possible for damned souls to ever repent for their actions?

I cannot believe all those billions in Hell will never feel a desire for salvation. God doesn't give people that chance, despite claiming omnipotence. So it seems God simply refuses to forgive the damned.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
repentance comes from the grace of God
those in hell rejected His grace

it is like asking why people who are underwater do not breath air
they choose to go to a place where that is no longer an option
and God, humble and kind, honors their wishes

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside." - C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

You mean like Jesus and his earliest followers rebelled against both Jewish religious and Roman political authority? Granted, we could say that the first is just God rebelling against the authorities he himself put in place, but if that doesn't indicate a rebellious nature to some degree, I don't know what does. ;) I understand that in this case, C.S. Lewis, who himself was the member of the Church of England, which rebelled against the Vatican's assertion of authority, was speaking specifically about rebellion against God, which by definition he who we believe was God incarnate could never do. However, does it seem a bit odd that God, a being with a rebellious heart in some respects, would turn around and create human sons and daughters in that image and then respond by torturing them for all eternity for their rebellion. That'd make God look really, really, bad. I hope God is better than that.

Having said that, I remember the Narnia series being read to me at bedtime when I was a very small child, and liking it. Spoiler alert: Aslan is Jesus. ;)

repentance comes from the grace of God
those in hell rejected His grace

it is like asking why people who are underwater do not breath air
they choose to go to a place where that is no longer an option
and God, humble and kind, honors their wishes

I hereby request that if I can't be in heaven, that I get an alternate world of my own that is a paradise that will make me always happy with whatever physical comforts and space I want where I can never feel pain and never get tired except when I want to sleep, with as much or as little human companionship as I want on any given day, and a big harem. ;) Also, the two faithful golden retrievers I've had during my life (One of whom is still with me)- I think they'd enjoy meeting each other (They never got to do it in real life, one died almost a decade before the other was born). If I'd be upset at separation from God, then I'd like a fake God simulation who I like better to be in the presence of in my virtual paradise and/or whatever aspects of the real God that I do like can come visit me. What, wait, God can't do that? Isn't God omnipotent? He could only create a heaven, a hell, and a purgatory, and nothing else? His hands were tied? No sort of non-heaven paradise or Star Trek holodeck thing for the people he doesn't want in heaven? They all have to be tortured eternally instead? Man, I hope the bigger God that's tying our God's hands on this one loosens the reigns a little. ;) Wait, there isn't a bigger God? So there doesn't have to be a hell. If there is one, God made it that way and I don't think there's any way around saying that it is less ethical than I would be with my own enemies, and I guess that would make me one of CS Lewis' doomed rebels, like Jesus. ;) Let's hope God is bigger and full of more grace than we imagine. :)

Note: No specific doctrinal claims about the afterlife are intended or implied by this entirely speculative posting. I am sticking by Aslan being an allegory for Jesus in CS Lewis' Narnia series, though. I feel pretty strongly about that part. ;)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
St. Augustine said "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you"
so yes, when you are in hell, you have suffering forever, because the souls in hell can never know peace

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
St. Augustine said "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you"
so yes, when you are in hell, you have suffering forever, because the souls in hell can never know peace

St. Augustine's teachings were also the basis for the idea of limbo, an upper level of hell without physical suffering where unbaptized babies were theorized to go. :) You know, a nice place in the afterlife that isn't heaven. :)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
St. Augustine's teachings were also the basis for the idea of limbo, an upper level of hell without physical suffering where unbaptized babies were theorized to go. :) You know, a nice place in the afterlife that isn't heaven. :)

well the idea behind that is that babies had no personal sin and thus did not merit the pains of hell

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

"'Eternal damnation', therefore, is not attributed to God's initiative because in his merciful love he can only desire the salvation of the beings he created. In reality, it is the creature who closes himself to his love. Damnation consists precisely in definitive separation from God, freely chosen by the human person and confirmed with death that seals his choice for ever. God’s judgement ratifies this state." - Pope St. John Paul II, General Audience (Wednesday 28 July 1999)

Hi,
I think that no matter which human you quote, there can be error. Thus Saint Augustine, C.S. Lewis, and even Saint John Paul II are capable of that, if I am right. Saint Augustine has been shown to be wrong on Limbo, I believe/think. Hopefully that makes my point, which is also my wish.
I am one, who even wants Satan back for God, but not as he is now. I want him back for God as God had once made him.
Do you think that if I can have that thought, and God who is admittedly the sponsor of better thoughts and also may have given me that thought, do you think that God wants that also, and one day will have His way also?
LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
I think that no matter which human you quote, there can be error. Thus Saint Augustine, C.S. Lewis, and even Saint John Paul II are capable of that, if I am right. Saint Augustine has been shown to be wrong on Limbo, I believe/think. Hopefully that makes my point, which is also my wish.
I am one, who even wants Satan back for God, but not as he is now. I want him back for God as God had once made him.
Do you think that if I can have that thought, and God who is admittedly the sponsor of better thoughts and also may have given me that thought, do you think that God wants that also, and one day will have His way also?
LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

hey Mary
so you think these ideas that you have are from God?
but these ideas from the great saints are not from God?

you are right about not even saints being perfect, they could make mistakes
Limbo is a theory, it is still a theory that can be believed, but it is not part of an infallible teaching of the Church

but the belief that there is a hell, that is a traditional belief of the Church

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
LOVE,
...Mary., .... .
The Catholic doctrine that Hell exists and that those who go there suffer there forever has always been the teaching of the Catholic Church. It is as much a part of Christianity as the belief that Heaven is real. It is not just a teaching of a few saints and theologians. The traditional Christian doctrine of Hell is a teaching that comes directly from Jesus Christ.

Universalism was invented by liberal Protestants in the 18th century. But Jesus gave His authority exclusively to the Catholic Church to teach on His behalf to all the generations. And the Catholic Church has always affirmed the existence of Hell.

There are several problems with universalism, one of them being that it calls Jesus a liar for saying that there are some who go to Hell. Another problem with it is that it defies logic. God would have to take away our free will for absolutely everyone to want to serve Him in Heaven. But if God wanted to force us to want to be with Him why didn't God just make us all without free will right from the start? That's why universalism doesn't make sense.

In the video that I posted in the OP, Jimmy Akin does a good job of explaining the reasons why there's a Hell. And he explains the difference between humans and angels when it comes to making the decision of choosing God or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Here is the issue. Humans despite their admitted stubbornness aren't absolute in their feelings. So why isn't it possible for damned souls to ever repent for their actions?
The Great Divorce explores exactly that question.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Dare we believe that all men might be saved? (Yes)

There is a real choice to be made, but whether anyone makes the poor choice remains to be seen.

that does not seem biblical
it does not go along with traditional theology
it does not agree with the great saints of the Church

you can believe that all will be saved
you can also believe that Zeus is King of the gods

neither of which are part of Catholic theology

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
that does not seem biblical
it does not go along with traditional theology
it does not agree with the great saints of the Church

you can believe that all will be saved
you can also believe that Zeus is King of the gods

neither of which are part of Catholic theology
That all maybe saved is a legitimate view within Catholic theology. As shown by Balthazar, as enumerated by several cardinals. It seems as though JPII held that view. What is certain is that both JPII and BXVI were comfortable with Balthazar and some cardinals holding that view.

It's never been the mainstream view, but it's an ancient view. And, as Balthazar shows, one compatible with scripture.

To be certain that all are saved is heresy. To hope that all may be is not.

The reality is that Joseph Ratzinger's views on hell would send many conservatives running screaming if they bothered to read his theology.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That all maybe saved is a legitimate view within Catholic theology. As shown by Balthazar, as enumerated by several cardinals. It seems as though JPII held that view. What is certain is that both JPII and BXVI were comfortable with Balthazar and some cardinals holding that view.

It's never been the mainstream view, but it's an ancient view. And, as Balthazar shows, one compatible with scripture.

To be certain that all are saved is heresy. To hope that all may be is not.

The reality is that Joseph Ratzinger's views on hell would send many conservatives running screaming if they bothered to read his theology.

so many Catholic saints have seen visions of souls suffering in hell, trying to warn people about the dangers of hell

show me where Saint John Paul II said that no one was going to hell?

everyone had the opportunity to be saved, that is something we can believe

but we can see that some people choose sin
murder, rape, apostasy, theft
so many people choose sin and reject Christ and His Church

it is very dangerous to de-emphasize this

if you do not think people reject God..... well I do not know what world you are looking at.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
so many Catholic saints have seen visions of souls suffering in hell, trying to warn people about the dangers of hell
No one is stopping you believing those visions. But catholics are not required to

show me where Saint John Paul II said that no one was going to hell?
I repeat, position is "all may be saved", not knowledge that they will.

As far as JPII is concerned, he didn't state it. But there is good reason to think he problably held to it. Certainly he and benedicts support for Balthazar and various cardinals who have stated the position leaves no room for doubt that it is an acceptable catholic opinion.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
but we can see that some people choose sin
Actually ALL people choose sin. That itself doesn't doom one to hell or we'd all be on our way.

Another possibility I don't see anyone considering is that people go to Hell but that doesn't necessarily mean they are there forever.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
hey Mary

Limbo is a theory, it is still a theory that can be believed, but it is not part of an infallible teaching of the Church

Hi,
I have asked you. I have stated my wish to have back for God, Satan as he once was. Never once did 'hey Mary' say that she/I thought these ideas were from God. I asked you and the members here, if it was possible that my thoughts were God's thoughts on this subject.

It seems the answer given so far is, possibly, even though that word forever is in the Bible. So is the word death in the Bible and the meaning is every bit different in God's world than it is in our world. Just how long is forever? The word life is there. The word love is there. The word foolish is there. None of those words have the standard meaning in our world. God has a different definition.

Love - doing the will of.
Life - alive with God after earth.
Foolish - one not afraid to hurt God.
Forever - (I don't know this one)
Death - alive without God after earth
Hell - a place where God can (He never said He would) destroy both body and soul

All of those words, except Hell and Forever are the Biblical meaning of those words. Yes that can be said to be my own work, if any work can really be said to be of just one person, and not God in any way shape or form. I cannot say that. I cannot. I would be a liar. That is as much my own work, as it is maybe Saint Jerome's work or what I remember of those lessons correctly today.

If you were God and you put Satan into the lake of fire forever, how would you feel? I fully know your position. You support whatever you are told is true in The Catholic Church. Seemingly, seemingly though, it seems that is your position.

It is a laudible position. It is Petrine. It is like Saint Peter, I think. It is full of zeal and love but it is short sighted, if I am right about you. Peter is needed. You are needed. Peter was needed. You are needed and so are the Pauline types who disuayed Peter from doing circumcisions again.

Petrines, or to change Peter's mind on anything, God had to intervene in dreams. He was given three dreams and still he did not change. Eventually he did. I will not eat any forbidden foods. That was his position. Then later, he knew what God meant by that. It is all people are acceptable to God, who do what is right.

With all of that, including your objections because of what you know of Hell and the word forever, is it not possible to think God may not like the way it is? Do not jump to conclusions please, if you did here. Hear out my pleas, please. Is it not possible to see that God might want everyone to be with Him as they originally were made? Can you not see the heart of God in that? Can you not see that it hurts God, historically to have to hurt others?

LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

confirmed in Rev. 20:11-15.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
hey Mary

Hi,
Now I will respond with my feelings on another point you raised. (Remember feelings with content are the same as thoughts. It is the content of my feelings, that I will try and extract for you, on the fallibility of Saints.)
I know of two saints, but who are still alive and on earth today. It is my pleasure and priveledge to be able to work with one of these extremely closely in all matters and the other one also, but he is on another continent from mine. We email only.
The saint I will tell you of cares only about loving God. That's about it for her. Yes, it seems it is so, and even those at The Roman Catholic Church, who have, of all things, tested her, believe now by proofs that she is what she says she is, but she till last year refused to use the word saint.
That has changed, yet before I get in to how she relates that, how she now can say things that are not perfect, where once she could not. She also at one time, could not be wrong, but now she says she can be wrong. For awhile she can be wrong, she says. When God corrects her, like in the idea of sainthood on earth, then she is no longer wrong. I know of one of her, errors. I know of how God eventually corrected her.
For this discussion, I will limit myself to just her learning, there is such a thing as a saint, that is still on the earth. It happened this way.
One day, she finds a hurt boy. He is hurt in ways she has been hurt in the past, and she knows how she was helped with this hurt.
I will relay now, what I remember of this event, that I know of and that even I can remember as this happened to her last year and I am having trouble remembering her details.
He was hurt. He is in Portugal. She is in American, and on the opposite coast of America that is futhest away from Portugal. There is no way for her to fly over there. She prays. She see's her prayers come back. They drop like white pieces of light paper, and never come back to her. "Who can I not pray for!" These thoughts entered her mind. She goes over there, with what might be her heart. She is not thinking. This boy is in a major crisis. She looks first and relays this of her story. "I looked. I saw the black hole. Black is white in God's world, but it looks black compared to all things and all surfaces of God. I saw the hole in the angels heart. It was black and scared me. I went over there the angel was not there. It was just a little boy's heart. He is thirteen, later I would notice it looked different. I did not then. I talked to the heart. It wasn't listening. I hoped it would hear me later. I left but not before I told the boy, that he was okay, just the way he is. The boy emailed. I will call that calling back now. The boy calls me back and about that night, he felt much better. She said she was in crisis mode with this kid, and only acted. Slowly she says he got better, but he didn't want her to leave. She did not. As time went on, she has not been allowed to pray for herself for years now, eventually told the boy. The boy's angel she says, who Jesus gave the ability to see and to speak with this boy relayed messages some of the time. One day she says, the angel stepped back emotionally. He told her, that she is doing fine, and that sometimes even angels need help. So, she says she just let loose and kept talking and explaining, always wondering how and angel could say such a thing. Time passed. She knew her life. Eventually the angel told her, that he could not convince the boy, of his sainthood. She then went at him lovingly like a mother would. Finally he understood. She told him that The Catholic Church, says no one is to pray for saints. They pray for us. She told him, of what happened to her, when she tried to pray for him. Then she said, that she can pray for anyone, but him. She also said, no one can pray for her. That finally helped. Ond day this rather young boy tells her, he violated her statement and decided to pray for her. He said as hard as he tried, each and every time something came up and stopped him. She then slowly made her point to the boy. She says, the boy is fine today in that regard. She later had to listen to the words she spoke, and the heart she worked with, using her heart from thousands of miles away. She then knew that she too was a living saint. A saint to God, but stil alive on earth. It is she who says, Saints work for you, for God. That is really all they do. They are really just working for God, and doing what ever it is God asks them to do. In every new task, extraordinary but needed tools that seem like gifts as they are so wonderful, are put into me, and I never know they are there. Going to that boy's heart in Portugal was one of those. Later, she says, I will make mistakes remembering what happened. Each time I am done with a task, all is taken away, so that I don't think I am that wonderful, but know it is the tools that are such. I become just like everyone else, then. It is a constant reminder of my nothingness compared to God, and my essentially evil thoughts and ways, compared to God. I gave up my free will in a written contract to God about twenty years ago. I am happy He took me up on that. I am not the goodness. I am only the one of many allowed to deliver those goods. And, when I am acting, my actions are perfect normally. The perfection is a good as I am only doing what God wants and not me/I. When I am me/I again, I am not at all perfect. I think all saints are like that. They are infallible in action, but fallible in recollection and sometimes fallible in understanding. "
That is my take on saints also, and it seems to be what is observed with all the saints of The Roman Catholic Church that are dead. Nobody could pray for Padre Pio, I have been told. I do not know if that is true. It is what I have been told. No one could pray for him while he was on earth. She says, everyone can violate that rule with her, but she tells everyone, the prayers still do not go to her, they go back to the person praying, or they go to others. They never go to her. Theresa Little Flower, I think was also like this.
LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0