The case against raising your kids "Christian"

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,980.00
Faith
Pentecostal
What to do instead:

1. Expose them gently to real Christianity, both life and doctrine.
2. Don't shelter them too much. They need the external world as a basis of comparison.
3. Respect their free will.

I'm afraid I would fail at your first suggestion since I live my faith-life very real and very hard. To do as you suggest I could not say to my child follow me as I also follow Christ. I am unsure how I would measure on your second suggestion since I don't believe the world has a comparison to offer, why compare life with death? On the third I might come up a little better since I have always treated my children with respect.

As a child I absolutely hated the observation that what was wrong for me as a child seemed acceptable in adults. I determined not to live like that. If it is wrong for my children it is wrong for me and vice versa. I told them you may rebuke me if you see me doing anything wrong. If I am doing wrong you don't have to copy it, it is always better to do what is right.

My youngest son refused to physically stand up for himself against bullies though he was very capable. I still respect that in him. They never got the better of him and he never used physical force. To be honest they all respected him in the end because of it.

I will have to admit that I would shelter my children as much as I felt necessary yet trying not to stifle them. Today I would not change a single thing for the most part of caring for my children is still on my knees.

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was raised in church, homeschool and private Christian schools, but started public school as a teen and went to a public university. I always loved the way that we were treated in public education - the way you could discuss any issue, from any side, and receive honest intellectual feedback. You didn't get canned answers, you got discussion. Kids crave that. Everyone craves that.

Modern churches fail when they try to paint everything as black and white. As if there is not more complexity to the human condition. As if there always needs to be a "conclusion." It's stifling. It's hard to live with that kind of pressure. I remember having all my questions about other beliefs/politics/ethics answered angrily, as if talking about them was somehow as evil as espousing them (oh the horror!). What a way to shut people off.

I see nothing wrong with introducing Christianity to children. Explore it, look at it from other angles, don't be afraid to discuss the nagging questions. The world's criticisms. Teaching it like dogma, hammered in with threats of hell, doesn't produce meaningful faith in my opinion. My parents did me a disservice there that I try desperately not to repeat. But I think we all know what *not* to do. It's hard to put it into practice.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Modern churches fail when they try to paint everything as black and white.
See this is the problem. The bible makes it quite clear that not everything is black and white and we can have differences of opinion on many topics. The essentials which all major christian denominations agree on yeah sure you should believe but otherwise love is the key and helping each other out especially if a fellow believer is weak in the faith. Thats why drinking alcohol can be both acceptable and wrong for example.

I often use discussion to challenge my views. People mention things then to make sure I understand better I go and study it and grow in understanding as a result. Of course doctrine is not that important as I said but actions. Making it a living faith.

Upvote 0