Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read Dave Ramsey's total money makeover and he was railing against people being in denial- people who think that they don't have to save for retirement because everything is going to "work out".

This has been a hard concept for me to learn. We know that "God works all things for those who are saved" (Etc) but we obviously can't sit back and relax, we have to work our salvation. Ramsey uses the phrase "The calvaray isn't coming" and "things will not be okay" to illustarate this truth.

Does anyone know of any biblical parallels- like any bible verses that say the same thing?

I have not read the book but have heard of him. I believe what he is saying is this:

If you don't save for retirement and use "trusting God" as an excuse, rather than faith, then it's an excuse which can never be faith. Excuses, and unbelief are not faith statements, and so God will not honor those statements. People can say, "I'm trusting God to take care of me" but 95% of the time, it would just be an unbelief statement rather than the truth from God's word.

But that 5% of the time it would actually be faith, then that supersedes and is truth. God can and does take care of us. We're supposed to live trusting him every day.

The main reason to have a storehouse is obedience to God which is faith:

The LORD will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The LORD your God will bless you in the land he is giving you. - Deuteronomy 28:8

For God to bless a storehouse, you have to have a storehouse for him to bless. There are Earthly storehouses and heavenly storehouses, and God blesses both. But Earthly storehouses can turn into greed and a crutch where we reject God by relying on the storehouse and not God, see Luke 12:18-21

But you see, if you have true faith born from God's spirit indwelling you, it will bring the cavalry:

Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? - Matthew 26:53

"Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." - 2 Kings 6:16

But wisdom teaching for people low on faith, is pretty good I think. Jesus and Elisha were both living lives doing God's will, serving God daily. The degree to which we live in Christ, is the degree to which our faith manifests into the world, reaping results. At which point God is responsible for your care, not the world. Yet, if you are not serving God in a ministry capacity where you had to give up on storehouses and Earthly finances to do God's will, then having a good job, and saving up, and using just practical wisdom you find in Ecclesiastes for those "under the sun" is good stuff. It's in the Bible for a reason. Ecclesiastes is not the kingdom of God, however.

One is below, and the other is from above. What Dave sounds like he is really teaching against then, is that people who live under the rules of Ecclesiastes, but use excuses and call it faith. Good verses along this lines would be:

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. - James 1:22

So the people who say the cavalry is coming, are deceiving themselves. Why? They are not doing what the word says. They are doing something else.

And then, "things will not be okay".... Well, I agree with this. Now, in the context of eternal life with God, things are always okay. What can the world take from us that we have in Christ? Nothing. But this should not prompt us to be lazy or careless, God keeps us here to do his will! And part of God's will:

A good person leaves an inheritance for their children's children, but a sinner's wealth is stored up for the righteous. - Proverbs 13:22

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read Dave Ramsey's total money makeover and he was railing against people being in denial- people who think that they don't have to save for retirement because everything is going to "work out".

This has been a hard concept for me to learn. We know that "God works all things for those who are saved" (Etc) but we obviously can't sit back and relax, we have to work our salvation. Ramsey uses the phrase "The calvaray isn't coming" and "things will not be okay" to illustarate this truth.

Does anyone know of any biblical parallels- like any bible verses that say the same thing?

Pro 27:12 A prudent man seeth the evil, and hideth himself; But the simple pass on, and suffer for it.

Pro 22:3-24 A prudent man seeth the evil, and hideth himself; But the simple pass on, and suffer for it. The reward of humility and the fear of Jehovah Is riches, and honor, and life.

The above verses give the spirit of the matter, the wise man will be made aware of grievous trouble, whether physical, emotional, or financial, and will avoid that trouble. To hide, is an action, to take action to avoid the seen difficulty. If we see we will need finances in old age, we SEE the difficulty, and we TAKE ACTION plan for it, with in the parameters of the Word of God, i.e. still providing for the poor and needy, still tithing etc.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you know how long you will live..and keep in good health, i think the bible says three score years and ten was like the minimum?

However bear in mind that because of sin, themselves or others against them, its not always guaranteed. If you think you want to live to a good age and have grand children or even great grandchildren, then God will make it possible as He is the provider, and give you wisdom in that area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dave Ramsey is, I believe, a Christian and a good guy. People struggling with debt would do well to read his book.
You're talking to someone that doubts C.S. Lewis was a Christian, or some such (there was a whole thread on that), and also believes that anyone that wears black is engaging in witchcraft. Don't expect a lot here.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well theres a fine line between trusting in God and just being silly. For example I wouldn't jump out of a place with no parachute and say "Its ok, God will save me. I trust Him!". God gave us intelligence for a reason. As for saving, its is important.

As a child covered under my dads insurance, eventually the bills came to around something like 40k I think (that was after insurance and his was amazing mind you). So they had to file bankruptcy. Their savings was gone. And as my dad aged his body needed lots of surgeries and stuff like that. So yet again they dipped into his savings, even took out early 401 money and stuff like that. Now hes retired on disability and they live check to check. No savings to help them. No 401k... nothing.

So savings is important. Especially in todays world where, at least in america, sometimes one person has to work 2-3 jobs to survive. And even more when married and with kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums