Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If my fence were built in those areas now deemed too impassable to patrol, it would discourage the dangerous desert travel that kills so many illegals. Of course there must be cell phone reception in the area so the illegals can warn others not to attempt the trip.

Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
If my fence were built in those areas now deemed too impassable to patrol, it would discourage the dangerous desert travel that kills so many illegals. Of course there must be cell phone reception in the area so the illegals can warn others not to attempt the trip.
These illegals carry their cell phones? You know this how?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it was serious.

Increasingly......it says.

10 calls....sounds like they need to hire more 911 operators

Please if you will, do you have a percentage of illegals who carry cell phones?

there is a new weapon to track them - using GPS on active cell phones

Those few calls probably saved many people.

Let me walk you through this.

I'm crossing the desert.
I have a cell phone in case I need it.
It's turned off.
If I turn it on it's because I'm in serious trouble and need to be 'found'.
If I make it across safely I will turn it on and call family and friends.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Building a wall isn't a practical solution to this problem.

If we build a wall and don't station people on it, then if someone wants to cross the border they will climb the wall. We'd be spending a lot of money on an ineffective solution in this instance.

If we build a wall and do station people on it, the maintenance and staffing of the wall would cost us more than illegal immigration costs us every year. Our solution to the problem would be more damaging than the problem we're trying to solve.

The problem we need to solve isn't the thousands of attempted border crossings every year - it's the millions of illegal immigrants that are already inside our borders that won't be turned back by a wall.

Finding better ways to to track down people on expired visas is a better use of funds - more value per dollar at solving the problem.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Those few calls probably saved many people.

Let me walk you through this.

I'm crossing the desert.
I have a cell phone in case I need it.
It's turned off.
If I turn it on it's because I'm in serious trouble and need to be 'found'.
If I make it across safely I will turn it on and call family and friends.
Your solution is to give illegals cell phones to save them?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there is a new weapon to track them - using GPS on active cell phones

The last company I worked for did cell phone locating for 911 calls using UTDOA (kinda like triangulation, but a little different). They were developing a system that would act as a virtual fence. It'd use the same technology used to locate cell phones in an emergency to be able to detect and track cell phones in the border area and report suspected crossers to a patrol. It was mostly targeting the coyotes, since they are the ones likely to have a cellphone on them.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your solution is to give illegals cell phones to save them?

They already have cell phones. We would save them with food, water, and medical care, before we send them back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If we build a wall and do station people on it, the maintenance and staffing of the wall would cost us more than illegal immigration costs us every year. Our solution to the problem would be more damaging than the problem we're trying to solve.

I covered that. The police, security personnel, and the armed forces are already being paid. The cost of deploying them for duty on the fence would be minimal. In the case of the military normal field training exercises could be included in their service. Large infantry, airborne, engineering, artillery, medical, and transport units would provide a huge presence along the fence. Support units of volunteers could also be enlisted in the effort. Securing the borders is a big deal and a big deal should be made of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Mexicans get visa waivers all over the world, and Mexico gives visa waivers to citizens of dozens of countries, including (wait for it!) AMERICANS!
So maybe instead of wanting to build a wall, OldWiseGuy, you could instead support a sane policy of simply allowing Mexicans to cross the border. You live in the USA, not the freakin Soviet Union.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mexicans get visa waivers all over the world, and Mexico gives visa waivers to citizens of dozens of countries, including (wait for it!) AMERICANS!
So maybe instead of wanting to build a wall, OldWiseGuy, you could instead support a sane policy of simply allowing Mexicans to cross the border. You live in the USA, not the freakin Soviet Union.

America = Apples
All other countries = Oranges

Upvote 0