United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Calming of a Storm
Matthew 8:23-27

Matt 8:23-27 New King James Version said:
23 Now when He got into a boat, His disciples followed Him. 24 And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. 25 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!”

26 But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. 27 So the men marveled, saying, “Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?”

Continuing on from the last segment we see Yeshua finely getting into the boat and He and His disciples pushing off into the sea. There came a great storm and the boat was rocking back and forth and waves were crashing over it and the wind was violently blowing. The disciples were frantic, yet Yeshua was sound asleep. When He did not awaken quickly, they awoke Him with their cries, saying, "We're going to die, do something" (paraphrased). But He said to them, "Why are you fearful?" I could maybe hear Him thinking "I'm here too, what do you suppose is going to happen?" "O ye of little faith" "Little faith" is associated with "lack of trust in God, lack of trust that God will take care of us in times of danger.

Yeshua did not make them "play it out". He got up and commanded the storm and the sea to be still and the storm and the sea obeyed. In their calling out to Him I'm not sure what they expected that He would do, but when He did what He did, they were surprised and awed.

In this day and age there are many types of storms that we encounter. Some are literal storms like when I experienced Hurricane Charley in Florida. I did not know what to expect the condition of my mobile home would be when I got back from the shelter of a more stable house. I remember laying my hands on the door as I ran out, saying "Lord please protect my home". When I returned, most of my neighbors homes were a mess. The only thing wrong with mine was the skirting had been blown off and I just had to go collect it and put it back on. At the friends house it was pretty scary too, but not as much if I'd stayed in my home. Some of my neighbors had stayed and they said they'd never do it again.

Then there's the financial storms where I did not know how I was going to eat and pay my bills and while it was a rough and long ride, Adonai delivered me. I remember the time when I was without a car and was having to walk a couple of miles to catch the bus and it would take me to within a couple of miles to where I worked. I had to depend on co-workers to be willing to drive by the bus stop and take me the rest of the way; unfortunately, not as easy as you might think. So one day I've gotten off the bus and I'm now headed home and I'm angry about some things that had happened and I'm walking and I'm flinging my arms around and yelling at God. "God when is this going to end?" He answered, "when it does not bother you anymore". "What, how can it not bother me, it bothers everyone else and their upset because they think it's not bothering me". Sigh, I can laugh now, but then, it was no laughing matter. Again, God took care of me.

We struggle with finances, children, mates, friends, cars, work, etc.. If we are following Yeshua He is in the boat with us and no matter how it looks we are not going down while He is in the boat. While He needed sleep while He was confined to His earthly body He no longer needs to sleep. He's aware of what is going on with us every moment of the day, while we're sleeping and while we're awake. Note He did not say "ye of no faith", He said "ye of little faith". Each of us have a grain of faith, it just needs to be built up and that happens while in the throes of whatever storm(s) you are going through at the moment. Trust Him.

This article by Jon Gerrish gives a more technical view of what Yeshua was doing. I think it's quite informative. For the other Biblical versions of the same event, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Calming Storms by By Jon “Yoni” Gerrish

Ancient Jewish sages believed that the future Messiah of Israel should display certain Moses-like characteristics—powerful spiritual leadership and astute Torah teaching. It is no secret that Moses and Jesus have much in common, sharing similar life experiences. In particular, both led a mission of deliverance from bondage. Therefore, it should not surprise us to find parallels of language and themes from the Exodus within the Gospels. For example, in Luke 11:20, Jesus says that if he drives out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon the people. This unique phrase, “finger of God” is a direct reference to Ex 8:19 and the plague of the lice/gnats, where the Egyptian magicians proclaim that “this is the finger of God.”[1]

The Gospel writers, with the possible exception of Luke, were biblically oriented Jews writing to other Jews and “God-fearing” Gentiles. When describing the life and teachings of Jesus, these writers would naturally want to communicate through shared biblical motifs understood in their Jewish framework. It is logical to suggest that their target audiences would be holding to certain expectations about their long-awaited Messiah.

Torah Teaching in the Synagogues

Without understanding the life and work of Moses, the messianic reports about Jesus could potentially fall on deaf ears. Of the three Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke), Mark is perhaps the heaviest-laden with thematic parallels and inter-textual connections to the Exodus. To fashion a message with such links would have fit well into the more respected styles of teaching and storytelling known in the ancient Jewish world, specifically midrash. Within the ancient Jewish teaching there was often a sub-world of midrash, a sophisticated system of biblical interpretation that connected different parts of Scripture by word plays or subtle allusion. It has been widely taught in Christian circles that Mark’s work was customized to fit the interests of a Gentile Roman audience. However, with a careful investigation of his style, it seems doubtful that Mark cast his pearls of midrashic teachings on those with no synagogue background or biblical literacy.

Keeping this in mind, several parallels to the Exodus come to light in Mark’s depiction of Jesus. Jesus under pressure from the crowds (Mk 3:9-10), calming the storm (Mk 4:35), and delivering the demoniac from a host of demons (Mk 5:1-30) has allusions to the Israelites flight from Egypt (Ex 12:34), Moses calming the children of Israel at the Reed Sea (Ex 14:13-14), and the subsequent destruction of Pharaoh’s army (Ex 14:27-28).

Under Pressure on the Shore

Both Mark and Luke relate that crowds pressed upon Jesus for healing and teaching while he was on the shores of the Sea of Galilee (Mk. 3:9, 10; Lk. 5:1).[2] At one point Jesus instructs his disciples to prepare a small boat so the crowds would not “press hard” upon him (Mk 3:9). Moments later, Mark tells us that Jesus is so rushed, he does not have time to eat a meal of bread (Mk 3:20). This seemingly insignificant detail about being “pressed” strikes a biblical chord and may be a clue to a larger story build-up connected to the Exodus account. With this phrase, “pressed hard”, Mark’s audience would be reminded that the children of Israel were under intense pressure and had little time to eat a meal with proper bread before their escape from Egypt (Ex 12:34).

In Exodus 14 we find Moses on the shore of the Reed Sea as the Israelite crowds press upon him for answers. The jubilation over their recent deliverance from slavery in Egypt has suddenly turned into the highest level of anxiety. As darkness falls, the Israelites are acutely aware that Pharaoh and his army are closing in behind them, while in front of them is the impassable Reed Sea. The Israelites cry out to Moses saying “did you bring us here to die in the wilderness?” (Ex 14:11).

Calming Words—“Peace, Be Still!”

Paralleling Mark 4:35-41, with darkness looming on the horizon Jesus and his disciples set sail. Later that night, they encounter a furious storm on the Sea of Galilee.[3] At this critical moment Jesus is found sleeping on a cushion and his disciples are in a state of terror as the waves begin to break over their boats. They awaken Jesus and cry out, “Teacher, don’t you care if we perish?” (Mk 4:36). There is harmony here in all the Synoptic narratives, but the next detail sets Mark apart from the others when he tells us specifically what Jesus said to the wind and waves, “Peace! Be still!” (Mk 4:39).

Returning to Exodus 14, Moses is pressed for answers as the tension mounts and the future of the children of Israel hangs in the balance. With the crowds pressing him, he exclaims, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Ex 14:13-14).[4]

With both Jesus calming the storm and Moses calming the Israelites, we have two nearly identical moments involving imminent doom that is tranquilized by the words “Quiet, be still” or “Peace be still.” For reasons we may never know Matthew, Luke and John chose to leave out this fascinating link.

Mrk 4:35-41 New King James Version said:
35 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” 36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. 37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. 38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”

39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. 40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” 41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”

Lk 8:22-25 New King James Version said:
22 Now it happened, on a certain day, that He got into a boat with His disciples. And He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side of the lake.” And they launched out. 23 But as they sailed He fell asleep. And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water, and were in jeopardy. 24 And they came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!”

Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water. And they ceased, and there was a calm. 25 But He said to them, “Where is your faith?”

And they were afraid, and marveled, saying to one another, “Who can this be? For He commands even the winds and water, and they obey Him!”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Healing of the Gadarene Demoniacs
Matt 8:28-34

Matt 8:28-34 New King James Version said:
28 When He had come to the other side, to the country of the Gergesenes, there met Him two demon-possessed men, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so that no one could pass that way. 29 And suddenly they cried out, saying, “What have we to do with You, Jesus, You Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?”

30 Now a good way off from them there was a herd of many swine feeding. 31 So the demons begged Him, saying, “If You cast us out, permit us to go away into the herd of swine.”

32 And He said to them, “Go.” So when they had come out, they went into the herd of swine. And suddenly the whole herd of swine ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and perished in the water.

33 Then those who kept them fled; and they went away into the city and told everything, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men. 34 And behold, the whole city came out to meet Jesus. And when they saw Him, they begged Him to depart from their region.

In this event Yeshua demonstrates His power over the demonic realm. The demons were afraid of Him sending them to the abyss and asked permission to go to the pigs that were herding a bit down the way. Yeshua gave permission. As to why the pigs ran into the sea, I don't know...here are a couple of sites that give some speculative insight though.

Mark 5:1-20 New King James Version said:
5 Then they came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the Gadarenes. 2 And when He had come out of the boat, immediately there met Him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, 3 who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no one could bind him, not even with chains, 4 because he had often been bound with shackles and chains. And the chains had been pulled apart by him, and the shackles broken in pieces; neither could anyone tame him. 5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying out and cutting himself with stones.

6 When he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and worshiped Him. 7 And he cried out with a loud voice and said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me.”

8 For He said to him, “Come out of the man, unclean spirit!” 9 Then He asked him, “What is your name?”

And he answered, saying, “My name is Legion; for we are many.” 10 Also he begged Him earnestly that He would not send them out of the country.

11 Now a large herd of swine was feeding there near the mountains. 12 So all the demons begged Him, saying, “Send us to the swine, that we may enter them.” 13 And at once Jesus gave them permission. Then the unclean spirits went out and entered the swine (there were about two thousand); and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and drowned in the sea.

14 So those who fed the swine fled, and they told it in the city and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that had happened. 15 Then they came to Jesus, and saw the one who had been demon-possessed and had the legion, sitting and clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid. 16 And those who saw it told them how it happened to him who had been demon-possessed, and about the swine. 17 Then they began to plead with Him to depart from their region.

18 And when He got into the boat, he who had been demon-possessed begged Him that he might be with Him. 19 However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him, “Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.” 20 And he departed and began to proclaim in Decapolis all that Jesus had done for him; and all marveled.

Luke 8:26-39 New King James Version said:
26 Then they sailed to the country of the Gadarenes, which is opposite Galilee. 27 And when He stepped out on the land, there met Him a certain man from the city who had demons for a long time. And he wore no clothes, nor did he live in a house but in the tombs. 28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, fell down before Him, and with a loud voice said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You, do not torment me!” 29 For He had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For it had often seized him, and he was kept under guard, bound with chains and shackles; and he broke the bonds and was driven by the demon into the wilderness.

30 Jesus asked him, saying, “What is your name?”

And he said, “Legion,” because many demons had entered him. 31 And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss.

32 Now a herd of many swine was feeding there on the mountain. So they begged Him that He would permit them to enter them. And He permitted them. 33 Then the demons went out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the lake and drowned.

34 When those who fed them saw what had happened, they fled and told it in the city and in the country. 35 Then they went out to see what had happened, and came to Jesus, and found the man from whom the demons had departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid. 36 They also who had seen it told them by what means he who had been demon-possessed was healed. 37 Then the whole multitude of the surrounding region of the Gadarenes asked Him to depart from them, for they were seized with great fear. And He got into the boat and returned.

38 Now the man from whom the demons had departed begged Him that he might be with Him. But Jesus sent him away, saying, 39 “Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you.” And he went his way and proclaimed throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Healing of a Paralytic
Matt 9:1-8

Matt 9:1-8 New King James Version said:
So He got into a boat, crossed over, and came to His own city. 2 Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.”

3 And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, “This Man blasphemes!”

4 But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? 5 For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise and walk’? 6 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” 7 And he arose and departed to his house.

8 Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men.

Yeshua came into His own city and was in a house teaching the Word (Torah, see Mrk 2:2 below) and healing the sick. Matthew gets straight to the point, "they brought Him a paralytic lying on a bed". In looking at the others gospels telling the same event, we see there was a great deal of effort that a group of men took to get their paralyzed friend to Yeshua. They went up to the roof of the house Yeshua was teaching in and began to tear a hole in the roof and then they lowered their friend down from the roof and set him right in front of Yeshua. Yeshua "saw" their faith. Faith is visible. They put action to their understanding that Yeshua could heal their friend. Yeshua looked at the paralyzed man and told Him to be happy and that his sins were forgiven.

Upon hearing this, some of the scribes (Sanhedrin), not all, but some, began to say among themselves that Yeshua was blasphemous. Yeshua knew their thoughts though and He addressed them with "why are you thinking evil in your hearts? What is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven', or to say 'You must rise and you must continually walk?' What is interesting to me is that He seems to be connecting sin with sickness. If He says, "Your sins are forgiven" the man is healed. If He says "rise and continually walk", the man is healed. Note that He said "continually" walk. Why would He say that?

There is a book called "A More Excellent Way" by Dr. Henry W. Wright which deals with repentance and turning away from sin as a means to physical healing. Dr Wright reveals what our illnesses reveal regarding the areas of sin we are living in or have lived in and as of yet have not brought those sins to the feet of the Savior, repented and turned away from.

At this time, I don't believe that ALL sickness is due to the sin of the person the sickness is afflicting, however, it is due to someones sin, at the very least, Adam's (as in Adam & Eve) sin. Remember the disciples asked Yeshua about a man who was born blind, whether he was that way due to his sin or his parents sin and Yeshua said it was neither. How they could think that a baby born blind was that way due to its sin I don't know. Perhaps there was some incorrect doctrinal teaching that the disciples had adhered to but Yeshua did not correct their thought that sickness was due to someones sin. He just clarified that for that particular man it was neither. Yeshua said that regarding that particular man, his blindness was not due to his or his parents sin but for God to show HIS works through him. (Jn 9:3).

Anyway, in this instance of Yeshua healing the paralyzed man it looks to me as if his being paralyzed is connected to sin. Why do I think that? Because Yeshua said, "your sins are forgiven" and "rise and continually walk". Just like Yeshua told the woman caught in adultery, he was saying "go and sin no more". Continually walk. He was not saying never sit down, never stand still, never lay down. He was saying your sins are forgiven, now continually walk in My will and My ways and you will continue to walk in not only physical health, but mental and spiritual health as well.

When all the multitude that was gathered there saw and heard it, they marveled and glorified God that He had given such authority to men. Notice it did not say " that He had given such authority to a man, Yeshua, but to men....to walk in spiritual, mental, and physical health.

Mrk 2:1-12 New King James Version said:
2 And again He entered Capernaum after some days, and it was heard that He was in the house. 2 Immediately many gathered together, so that there was no longer room to receive them, not even near the door. And He preached the word to them. 3 Then they came to Him, bringing a paralytic who was carried by four men. 4 And when they could not come near Him because of the crowd, they uncovered the roof where He was. So when they had broken through, they let down the bed on which the paralytic was lying.

5 When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven you.”

6 And some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, 7 “Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

8 But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, “Why do you reason about these things in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise, take up your bed and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the paralytic, 11 “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” 12 Immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went out in the presence of them all, so that all were amazed and glorified God, saying, “We never saw anything like this!”

Lk 5:17-26 New King James Version said:
17 Now it happened on a certain day, as He was teaching, that there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by, who had come out of every town of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem. And the power of the Lord was present to heal them. 18 Then behold, men brought on a bed a man who was paralyzed, whom they sought to bring in and lay before Him. 19 And when they could not find how they might bring him in, because of the crowd, they went up on the housetop and let him down with his bed through the tiling into the midst before Jesus.

20 When He saw their faith, He said to him, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.”

21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and said to them, “Why are you reasoning in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Rise up and walk’? 24 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the man who was paralyzed, “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.”

25 Immediately he rose up before them, took up what he had been lying on, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. 26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God and were filled with fear, saying, “We have seen strange things today!”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Calling of Matthew
Matt 9:9-13

Matt 9:9-13 New King James Version said:
9 As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him*.10 Now it happened, as Jesus sat* at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
Matt 9:9-13 New King James Version said:

12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick*. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance".

My apologies for the scripture separation,
I keep fixing the coding but it keeps going back
to what you see here.

There must have been something in Matthew that was different from other tax collectors. While he had plenty of money there was something deep within him that was searching for more. Why do I think this? Because he did not seem to hesitate when he looked into the eyes of Yeshua and Yeshua told him to follow him. He arose from his chair in his place of business and left it all behind in order to follow Yeshua.

At a later time, Matthew invited Yeshua to his home for a feast. He also invited all his tax collector friends and other unsavory people. They were all reclining together at the table. Upon seeing Yeshua reclining, eating, and conversing with all these "unsavory" people the Pharisees began to criticize Him. They cozied up to the disciples and questioned them as to why their Teacher was doing such a thing. Basically they were saying, "why are you following such a person? A man who is supposedly a teacher of the scriptures yet he is eating with tax collectors and sinners. Obviously, you yourselves are questionable followers because you are expecting such a man to teach you".

Yeshua was not oblivious to their questioning though and He answered them. They fancied themselves to be righteous and holy and beyond reclining and eating and conversing with sinners. Yeshua put them in their place though by telling them that since they were strong and righteous (I believe there was sarcasm) He was not there to be of benefit to them (since in their thinking they did not need Him), but to help those who needed Him. He was a physician and He was there to wipe away their heart sickness (sin). "I desire loving kindness and not sacrifice" is a quote from Hos 6:6. He came to show mercy to the hurting and the spiritually sick. Their sacrifices meant nothing because their heart was not in it. He is out to change hearts not demand the sacrifices of goats and sheep which did not change anyone's heart.

* (v.9) As a tax collector, Matthew would have been wealthy, upper class. He left everything to become a disciple and follow Y'shua. ~One New Man Bible~

* (v.10) Reclining to eat had been a Jewish custom for some time, because reclining was a sign of freedom, they they were no longer Egyptian slaves.

Reclining to eat was the standard practice in first century Israel and was a symbol of their being free, not slaves as in Egypt. At the Last Supper as at every Seder they reclined and they even reclined at the various meals described in the Gospels. Sometimes there is no mention of the meal because when it was written theat they reclined, the meal was understood. The couches they reclined on were angled at the table, so each only took up a small space at the table, not the full length of a couch or cushions. The person who reclined in front of someone was spoken of as reclining or leaning on the bosom, or chest, or , more commonly, the lap of that person, as John was at the Last Seder, Jn 13:23-25. To be in Abraham's bosom meant to have the place of honor at a banquet. Lk. 16:23 tells of Lazarus in Abraham's bosom, referring to being a partake of the same state of bliss as Abraham in Paradise. ~One New Man Bible~
* (v.12) The Greek word kakos literally means evil though it is often translated "sick," which comes from the Latin text. ~One New Man Bible~

* (v.13) The Hebrew text has Hesed.

Hesed is a Hebrew word that defies translation. Hesed is love, mercy, favor, grace, forgiveness, kindness, gentleness, patience, and more rolled into one. It is used many times in Scripture. So you can always recognize when Hesed is the word, in this book Hesed is always translated Loving Kindness. Sometimes that makes for awkward reading, but now you have a better idea of what is meant by the phrase Loving Kindness.

The Hebrew words meaning compassion, grace, love, and mercy are:

Compassion, Pity: Rahamim
Compassionate: Rahum, Rahaman
Grace: Hen, Hanun
Gracious: Rav-Hesed, Hanun
Love: Ahavah, Ohev
Loving Kindness: Hesed
Mercy: Rahamanoot

~One New Man Bible~

Mrk 2:13-17 New King James Version said:
13 Then He went out again by the sea; and all the multitude came to Him, and He taught them. 14 As He passed by, He saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.

15 Now it happened, as He was dining in Levi's house, that many tax collectors and sinners also sat together with Jesus and His disciples; for there were many, and they followed Him. 16 And when the scribes and Pharisees saw Him eating with the tax collectors and sinners, they said to His disciples, “How is it that He eats and drinks with tax collectors and sinners?”

17 When Jesus heard it, He said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."

Luke 5:27-32 New King James Version said:
27 After these things He went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” 28 So he left all, rose up, and followed Him.

29 Then Levi gave Him a great feast in his own house. And there were a great number of tax collectors and others who sat down with them. 30 And their scribes and the Phariseesa complained against His disciples, saying, “Why do You eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

31 Jesus answered and said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."[/quote]

5:27 There were two types of publicans: tax collectors and custom officials. Matthew was a custom official, considered to be the worse of the two types. Publicanism was a trade forbidden to the Jews by the Pharisees. Jews bought their way into this office. Romans did not collect taxes from Roman citizens, but from the subjugated people. But, the subjugated people, as individuals, could buy this office. It usually went to the highest bidder. The reason that fellow Jews were willing to become publicans was because they were permitted to extort and become wealthy by it. They would never suffer legal penalties under Roman law for extortion.

The Rabbis issued many laws against the publicans causing them to be ostracized from the community and treated as outcasts. Baba Kamma 103a says, "It is permitted to smuggle wares past a publican...." This was considered as smuggling past a thief and thus saving it. Baba Kamma 10:1 says, "One may not accept charity from the money box of a publican...." One could only accept it from them in the home but not while the publican was in his official capacity (whatever difference that made). The Jerusalem Hag. Says, "The publicans are contrasted with the Hassidim (Pious Ones) and they are pictured as gross sinners."

Vs. 28: Generally you don't just get up from a place of toll and leave. You have got to make provisions with the governor. Nevertheless, Matthew recognizes the authority of Yeshua which precedes the authority of Rome, and is willing to take his chances and leave.

Vs. 29: Because this marks the day of Matthew's conversion, he throws a party for his friends. But, being a publican, he has only two types of friends: other publicans and sinners ( a euphemism for prostitutes). The exception today is Yeshua and His disciples.

Vs. 30: Notice that the first phase of the investigation is still going on. The Pharisees are right there observing every move Yeshua makes.

Vs. 31: Yeshua'S response is in two points. First, it is the sick who need healing. The Pharisees would quickly agree that publicans and prostitutes are spiritually sick. The second is where they would disagree with Yeshua, for He said it is not the righteous that need to be called, but sinners. The Pharisees taught that these sinners were so vile that redemption was not available to them. Because they were so untrustworthy, they could not even be used as witnesses in court. Yeshua actions contradicted them. Thank God, redemption is for every one.

Vs. 32: At Yavneh, Rabbi Yochanan bn Zakkai and the academy scholars kept Judaism alive following the destruction of the Temple. Zakkai constantly reminded the people that instead of sacrifice there was mercy (Hosea 6:6). This was a very important truth for them since the Temple was no longer available for them to make sacrifices. Yeshua began bringing back this concept even while the Temple was still standing. ~Saltshakers Messianic Community~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Questions About Fasting

Matt 9:14-17 New King James Version said:
14 Then the disciples of John came to Him, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but Your disciples do not fast?”

15 And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast. 16 No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch pulls away from the garment, and the tear is made worse. 17 Nor do they put new wine into old wineskins, or else the wineskins break, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.”

According to the headliner, this parable is about fasting, however, Yeshua only lightly touched on an answer and instead went to something much deeper. What I see actually being questioned here is Yeshua's choice of disciples. The disciples of Yeshua were unlearned in the way that they did not have all the fancy schooling that the richer people had. Of course they could read and write (each town had people who taught that) but they had not learned all the in's and outs of Judaism and the proper way to do this and that. They had the basics though.

Fasting in and of itself is for the spiritual benefit of the faster. Yeshua was not putting down the act of fasting as there are appointed by God times to fast and He did say "when" you fast" in one of His sermons. However John the Immerser (the actual High Priest appointed by God, not the Roman appointees Annas and Caiaphis) and the Pharisees had added additional fasts to the liturgical calendar. Again, it was not bad to have done that nor was it bad to observe these extra fasts. They were initiated as calls to revival. The extra fasts though were not appointed by God in scripture.

Johns disciples questioning came at the feast at Matthews house. Johns disciples in questioning about fasting was actually questioning more about Yeshua's choice of men He had chosen to be His disciples. Most teachers who wanted disciples chose men who had been trained in all things Judaism, plus. The men chosen as disciples of Yeshua were not trained as extensively as they and others were and they wondered why Yeshua chose men who were fishermen and tax collectors.

Yeshua's first response is a comment of a bridegroom. "No one needs to fast while the bridegroom is here. They will fast after the bridegroom is taken away (a reference to dying)". Then He moves on to talking about old and new wineskins. The wineskins are symbolism of "people", not the old and new covenant as our modern church has taught. The old wineskins equal those who've already learned the old ways and they've already formed their opinions and new ways are not easily learned by them. The new wineskins are those like the disciples of Yeshua. They don't know all the ins and outs of all the laws as required by the Pharisees. They have the basics, but they have not studied like the likes of the Pharisees. New wineskins are equal to unchartered minds for Yeshua to teach what His Father really intended with the instructions that He had Moses give the people. Nowhere did Yeshua get rid of His Fathers instructions, however, He did correct the Pharisees on their interpretation and application of it.

The bridegroom was still with them, so now was not the time for fasting but for renewal. He was taking new wineskins (blank slates) and pouring new (fresh) wine into them. His intent was to save both the old and the new along with the old and the new wineskins.

Men and women of God must be renewed in heart. Yeshua was telling the people something about His purpose. He came to bring renewal and redemption through the power of the Kingdom of God. His purpose was not to destroy the significance of the Torah but to fulfill it. The old wine of Torah is good. Yeshua never said it was bad and made it quite clear that He had not come to do away with it. However, many well taught in it had been so indoctrinated with many added things that were not necessarily bad in and of themselves but drew attention from The Father's purpose in giving His instructions for a happy and prosperous life to the people. His instructions were not a burden, but in many ways they had been turned into burdens. When our hearts are renewed by Him, His burden is light and His yolk is easy. (Matt 11:30)

Yeshua chose men who had not been so indoctrinated and He could pour into them from the heart of God and teach and mold them accordingly. He did not want to destroy the old wine nor the old wineskins. He had new wine to pour into new wineskins so that they would turn the world upside down. There was to be no loss of the old or the new.

I think Saul who became Paul would have been categorized as an old wineskin. After his conversion Paul went to Damascus and stayed for 3 years learning directly from God. Most likely it was during those three years that the Lord began to reveal to Paul many deep spiritual truths. They were not wasted years, but years of preparation so that when he was given the opportunity to speak he would have something significant to say. After that he went to visit Peter and spent 15 days with him. It was another 13 to 14 years before he received what would be considered his ordination at the hands of the other apostles.

The two parables of the "Garment" an the "Old Wineskins" make no sense when they are separated from their original religious setting of the first century. The message of these parables must be heard as a dialogue within Judaism. Some of the new efforts at reform, such as innovative fast days, will not contribute to a deeper level of interaction with the ancient faith. Yeshua is an insider promoting renewal and reform from within the system. You might have noticed that Yeshua does not actually criticize these new practices. They are not really wrong within themselves. What makes them wrong is when they take our focus from the things that we should be doing so that we do not accomplish them. It is the sin of omission, not commission. ~Saltshakers Messianic Community~
To me, this understanding of the parable makes a whole lot more sense of the whole dialog. :)

Mrk 2:18-22 New King James Version said:
18 The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were fasting. Then they came and said to Him, “Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but Your disciples do not fast?”

19 And Jesus said to them, “Can the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast. 20 But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days. 21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; or else the new piece pulls away from the old, and the tear is made worse. 22 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins.”

Lke 5:33-39 New King James Version said:
33 Then they said to Him, “Why do the disciples of John fast often and make prayers, and likewise those of the Pharisees, but Yours eat and drink?”

34 And He said to them, “Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? 35 But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them; then they will fast in those days.”

36 Then He spoke a parable to them: “No one puts a piece from a new garment on an old one; otherwise the new makes a tear, and also the piece that was taken out of the new does not match the old. 37 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine will burst the wineskins and be spilled, and the wineskins will be ruined. 38 But new wine must be put into new wineskins, and both are preserved. 39 And no one, having drunk old wine, immediately desires new; for he says, ‘The old is better.’”

Footnotes:

1. Luke 5:33 NU-Text omits Why do, making the verse a statement.
  2. Luke 5:36 NU-Text reads No one tears a piece from a new garment and puts it on an old one.
  3. Luke 5:38 NU-Text omits and both are preserved.
  4. Luke 5:39 NU-Text omits immediately.
  5. Luke 5:39 NU-Text reads good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Leaders Daughter and The Woman Who Touched Y'shua's Prayer Shawl

Matt 9:18-26 New King James Version said:
18 While He spoke these things to them, behold, a ruler came and worshiped Him, saying, “My daughter has just died, but come and lay Your hand on her and she will live.” 19 So Jesus arose and followed him, and so did His disciples.

20 And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment. 21 For she said to herself, “If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well.” 22 But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, “Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And the woman was made well from that hour.

23 When Jesus came into the ruler’s house, and saw the flute players and the noisy crowd wailing, 24 He said to them, “Make room, for the girl is not dead, but sleeping.” And they ridiculed Him. 25 But when the crowd was put outside, He went in and took her by the hand, and the girl arose. 26 And the report of this went out into all that land.

Here we see a leader, possibly a Rabbi coming to Yeshua asking him to come to his house and heal his daughter who had died. Yeshua started on His way to the mans house.

While on the way though, in the crowd of people that were following a woman who according to Jewish law should not have been out in public (Lev 15:19) She was considered "ritually unclean". Being in the crowd where people were bumping each other she was making them ritually unclean. To actually reach out and touch the prayer shawl was a huge no-no. Yet, she did it anyway. She was so desperate. I've experienced that same condition and I know how desperate she was. She knew though, that all she had to do was touch his garment and she would be made well. When she reached out He stopped, turned and looked at her and told her she was healed. Another ref says He asked who had touched Him. He knew though who had touched Him.

Yeshua continued on to the rulers house to see his dead daughter. When he arrived all the "mourners" were there and doing their mourning...loudly. Yeshua announced that the girl was not dead but only sleeping and the crowd started laughing and mocking Him. He kicked them out of the room. Then proceeded to take the girl by the hand and the girl arose. Why did He kick the mourners out? Personally I think it's because in all the mocking and laughing there was no faith. Remember in His own home town He could not do many miracles because of the lack of faith. Therefore, He threw out all those who would be a hindrance, then proceeded to raise the dead girl. Imagine what they thought when they saw her come walking out of the room. :)

(v.20) The corner fringe of the prayer shawl, called tsitsit in Hebrew, represents all the commands and promises of God.
Prayer Shawl is given in Num. 15:37-41 where Moses is told, And the LORD spoke to Moses saying, 38. "Speak to the children of Israel and bid them to make fringes (tsitsit) for themselves in the corners of their garments throughout their generations and that they put upon the fringe of the border a thread of blue, 39. and it will be to you for a fringe, that you may look upon it and remember all the commandments of the LORD and do them, and that you do not seek after your own heart and your own eyes, after which you used to go astray, 40. so you will remember and do all My commandments and be holy to your God. 41. so you. 41. I AM the LORD your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I AM the LORD your God."

The fringes, called tsitsit in Hebrew, were placed on the corners of the outer garment, which was larger than the current prayer shaws and looked like a poncho with tsitsit. This was like a sheet with a hole in the middle for the head. The front piece was tied behind the back, then the back was lapped over and tied in front. This is the seamless garment in Jn. 19:23. Recent archaecological digs have found a number of these from Biblical times. This garment served as a blanket as stated in Ex. 22:26.

The garment now made to these specifications is the talit, also spelled tallit, called a prayer shawl in English. The purpose for it is for everyone, including the wearer, to look at it and remember all the commandments of the LORD. This list of 613 commandments includes the promises of God, so in Y'shua's day people would see all the power of God in that fringe, called tsitsit in Hebrew, when the prayer shawl was worn by an anointed man of God. That is why the woman with the bloody issue reached for the fringe in Matt. 9:20 and Lk 8:44 and why many sought to touch the tsitsit of His talit in Matt. 14:36 and Mrk 6:56. We know this is the tsitsit because the Jewish translators who translated the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek used the Greek word kraspedon for tsitsit and hraspedon is used in the Gospels where tsitsit would be appropriate.

Y'shua used the prayer shawl in Mrk 5:41, the raising of Jairus' daughter. We know that Y'shua was wearing a talit at the time because of the reference to it regarding the woman with the bloody issue, after Y'shua and Jairus had started on the way to Jairus' hojme. There Y'shua took the girl's hand and said "Talitha coum!" This is Hebrew for "Talit rise!" the verse goes on and says "..translated means 'maid arise'" (KJV) and "my child get up." (NIV) The Greek word translated maid or child is talitha, the Greek spelling of talit, Coum is the Hebrew word for rise, or get up. Some Greek texts say coumi, the feminine form, which is the correct word for this verse, since talitha is a feminine noun. We know that His use of the talit in this miracle and His speaking to the talit would have been appropriate and would have been understood by those with Him. In that case He would have placed His prayer shawl over the girl , then spoken to the prayer shawl. There is another Aramaic word that some say is the correct word for this verse. It is taly'tah, meaning lamb. This would have Y'shua address her as "Lambkin" a not unreasonable assumption. Coumi would also be the correct verb because it is the same in Aramaic and Hebrew. Y'shua would have been speaking Hebrew, so the One New Man Bible uses talit, which is the closest word to the Greek transliteration.

One of the most beautiful scenes in Scripture involving the prayer shawl is Ruth 3:9. Ruth asked Boaz to spread his prayer shawl over her when she lay at his feet. Most translations say she asked him to spread his skirt over her, but the Hebrew says she asked him to spread his wing over her. The wing of a prayer shawl is the part that hangs down when the wearer spreads each arm out to the side, letting the long panel from his wrist to his side hang gown. Calling that the wing alludes to the long established Hebrew tradition referring to the way a male bird opens his wings when he mates with his bride. The tradition in Jewish history has been for a bridegroom to cover his bride with his prayer shawl at their wedding. This tradition evolved into the present day hupah (chuppah) , which is a prayer shawl held up by four poles to cover a bride and groom for their wedding ceremony. when Ruth asked Boaz to spread his prayer shawl over her, she in effect was saying "Let's get married." Boaz understood that by his immediate response, acknowledging his role as kinsman redeemer.

~Glossary of One New Man Bible~

See also Mrk 5:21-43 and
You may reply to this post here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Healing of Two Blind Men

Matt 9:27-31 New King James Version said:
27 When Jesus departed from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out and saying, “Son of David, have mercy on us!”

28 And when He had come into the house, the blind men came to Him. And Jesus said to them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”

They said to Him, “Yes, Lord.”

29 Then He touched their eyes, saying, “According to your faith let it be to you.” 30 And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them, saying, “See that no one knows it.” 31 But when they had departed, they spread the news about Him in all that country.

So Yeshua leaves the house of the girl he'd raised from the dead and there are blind men calling out to him and they refer to Yeshua as "Son of David". That is the same as calling him Messiah since it's prophesied that Messiah would come through the seed of King David. It was not just David the King they were calling on though.

Those who called the Son of David for healing, such as Bartimaeus in Mark, were calling another Son of David, the Shepherd. In Jn 10:11 Y'shua says, I am the Good Shepherd and in Jn 21:16 tells Peter to tend the flock. What is it that a shepherd does? His task is to keep his flock together, to see that they are nurtured, wounds and illnesses treated, properly fed, watered, sheltered, protected from any enemies. To do this he takes them from one pasture to another in the appropriate season and to ensure that they have shelter whenever that is called for. He shears them in proper season, both selling and using the wool and the milk while preserving the flock. ~One New Man Bible~
Then Yeshua enters another house, as far as I can see it does not clarify who's house but the blind men followed him in. Yeshua asks them if they believe he is able to heal them. They tell him "yes". Then Yeshua touches their eyes and says (paraphrased) "according to your faith, it is done". And their eyes were opened. Obviously, they had the faith needed to receive their eyesight.

A few weeks ago I saw a picture on Facebook mentioning faith healers and it said something about why do faith healers have services in big arenas instead of going to the hospitals and doing their healing there. My first thought was because in hospitals they generally more resemble what Yeshua encountered at the rulers house where the young girl had died. Much crying and wailing and hopelessness that even Yeshua could not combat as long as all of that was going on around the girl...he made them all leave in order to raise her from the dead. Their faithlessness stopped healing from happening. Maybe that is why faith healers don't hold services in hospitals. In the arenas the expectation of healing is high, therefor, there are a lot of people being healed of a multitude of ailments. Just some thought.

Then Yeshua tells them "don't tell anyone". Now how are people not to know...they were blind, and now they see. How can the people where they lived not know? Obviously it was impossible for them to NOT tell people. Personally I think we see a clue as to why Yeshua told some people this in

Mrk 1:45 However, he went out and began to proclaim it freely, and to spread the matter, so that Jesus could no longer openly enter the city, but was outside in deserted places; and they came to Him from every direction.
After healing the leper Yeshua told him to not tell anyone but of course he did anyway and that made it where Yeshua could not openly enter any city but instead stayed in deserted places and the people came to him in throngs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Healing of a Mute Person

Matt 9:32-34 New King James Version said:
32 As they went out, behold, they brought to Him a man, mute and demon-possessed. 33 And when the demon was cast out, the mute spoke. And the multitudes marveled, saying, “It was never seen like this in Israel!”

34 But the Pharisees said, “He casts out demons by the ruler of the demons.”

Here we see a man who was unable to speak. It does not say whether he'd been born that way or not, but I kinda think he was not born that way. I believe this mostly because of the demon involved. Anyway, it says this man was brought to Yeshua, he did not come on his own. When Yeshua cast the demon out then the man was able to speak again. It says they had never seen anything like the healings Yeshua was doing before. The Pharisees however were claiming that Yeshua did these things by the power of the ruler of the demons.

According to the ancient Rabbis miracles were separated into two categories. The first were miracles that anyone would be able to perform when empowered by the Holy Spirit. The second was referred to as "Messianic Miracles". They were miracles that only Messiah would be able to perform. The Messianic miracles were taken from IS 35:5-6

5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened,
And the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.
6 Then the lame shall leap like a deer,
And the tongue of the dumb sing.
For waters shall burst forth in the wilderness,
And streams in the desert.

Yeshua did both categories of miracles. A Messianic miracle got a different type of reaction than the first type. Here are some interesting thoughts on that by Jay Mack.

The Second Messianic Miracle: The Exorcism of a Mute Demon

Between the first messianic miracle, the healing of a Jewish leper, and the second messianic miracle, the leadership of Israel had investigated Jesus. He was interrogated and questioned everywhere He went. The leadership learned several things. The crucial thing they realized was that Jesus simply was not going along with Pharisaic Judaism. But His most important rejection of Pharisaic Judaism was that of the Oral Law (see my commentary on The Life of Christ Ei – The Oral Law), or the tradition of the elders in Matthew 15:2 (Isaiah 29:13-16).

The circumstances of the second messianic miracle are recorded in Matthew 12:22-37 and Mark 3:19-30 (see my Commentary on the Life of Christ Ek - The Second Messianic Miracle and the Rejection of Christ). Mark reminds us: When His family heard about this, they went to take charge of Him, for they said, He is out of His mind (Mark 3:21). There seems to be a general recognition by this stage in the gospel accounts of the life and ministry of Jesus that a high point was about to be reached. Even His friends considered the fact that Yeshua needed protection from Himself, because they felt He was bordering on insanity. Then Jesus was presented with a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, and He healed him so that he could both walk and see (Matthew 12:22). The act of throwing out demons was not all that unusual in the Jewish world of that day. Even the Pharisees, rabbis, and their followers had the ability of throwing out demons. But throwing out demons within the framework of Pharisaic Judaism required one to use a specific ritual, which underwent three stages. First, the exorcist would have to establish communication with the demon; the exorcist would then have to find out the demon’s name. Thirdly, after finding out the demon’s name he could, by use of that name, throw the demon out. There are occasions that Messiah used the Jewish methodology as in Mark 5 where being confronted with a demonic, Jesus asked the question: What is your name? The answer Yeshua received on that occasion was: My name is Legion, for we are many. But there was one kind of demon that caused the person controlled to be mute so he could not speak. Since he could not speak, there was no way of establishing communication with this kind of a demon, no way of finding out this demon’s name. So within the framework of Judaism, it was impossible to throw out a mute demon. The rabbis had taught, however, that when the Messiah came, He would be able to cast out this type of demon. This is the second of the three messianic miracles: the exorcism out of a mute demon.

Isaiah had written that when the Messiah came the mute tongue would shout for joy (35:6b). As a result, the throwing out of a mute demon raised quite a stir among the Jewish masses. All the people were astonished and said: Could this be the Son of David? They would ask each other, “Is this the Messiah?” After all, He was doing the very thing that the prophet said the Messiah would do. They never asked this question when Jesus cast out other types of demons. However, when He threw out a mute demon they did raise the question, because they recognized from the teachings of the rabbis that it was a messianic miracle.

However, the Jewish masses have always tended to labor under something called the leadership complex. Whichever way the leaders went, the people were sure to follow. Consistently throughout the Old Covenant or the TANAKH, when the king did that which was right in the eyes of ADONAI, the people followed. But when the king did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD, the people also followed. Even in this day, when Jewish believers witness to their nonbelieving friends, they consistently hear the same objection: If Jesus really is the Messiah, then how come our rabbis have not and do not believe in Him? In New, or Renewed Covenant times, because of the stranglehold that Pharisaic Judaism had upon the masses, this leadership complex was extremely strong. So while the Jewish masses were willing to raise the question: Could this be the Son of David? They were not willing to make that decision for themselves. Instead, they looked to their leadership to make that decision for them.

In light of the second messianic miracle, and in light of the questioning by the Jewish masses, the Jewish leaders realized they had to make a public declaration concerning their final decision about Jesus and His messianic claims. They had two options. First, declare Him to be the Messiah in light of all the evidence. The second option was to reject His messianic claims. If they took the second option and rejected His messianic claims, they also had to explain to the Jewish masses why Jesus was able to perform the very miracles that they had said only the Messiah could perform. The Great Sanhedrin took the second option and declared that He was able to perform such miracles because He was demon possessed. But when the Pharisees heard this, they said: It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:22; Luke 11:15-16; John 7:20). They claimed that Jesus Himself was possessed or demonized, not by some common demon but by the prince of demons, Beelzebub. This name is a combination of two Hebrew words that means the Lord of the Flies. The real reason that His claims had been rejected was because He had rejected the Oral Law, but the stated reason for the rejection of Jesus was that He was demon possessed. This action by the leadership of Israel set the stage for Jewish history for the next 2,000 years. To this day Jews believe that Jesus was demon possessed.

Yeshua Messiah responded in two ways. First, He defended Himself with four statements (Matthew 12:25-29). He said this could not be true because it would mean a division in Satan’s kingdom. Secondly, they themselves recognized that the gift of exorcism was a gift of the Spirit and even their followers were able to throw out demons (although these were not mute demons). Thirdly, this miracle authenticated the claims and the message of Yeshua of Nazareth. Fourthly, it showed that Jesus was stronger than the devil rather than being subservient to Satan.

The second response was a condemnation (Matthew 12:30-37). In this condemnation Jesus said that this generation was guilty of the unpardonable sin, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Because this sin was exactly what it said it was, unpardonable, judgment was now set against that generation, a judgment that could not be alleviated under any circumstances. It came forty years later in 70 A.D. with the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple. Exactly what is the unpardonable sin within the context in which it is found? It is not an individual sin, but a national sin. It was committed by the Jewish generation of Jesus’ day and cannot be applied to subsequent Jewish generations. The context of the unpardonable sin was the national rejection by Israel of Jesus as the Messiah while He was present on the grounds of being demon possessed. And because it was a national sin and not an individual sin, people of that day could and did escape that national judgment. Nor is it a sin that anyone can commit today. On this point the Bible is very clear. Regardless of what sin anyone commits today, every sin is forgivable to that individual that will come to God through Yeshua. The nature of the sin is irrelevant. But for the nation, this sin was unpardonable.

At this point, the ministry of Jesus changed dramatically in four major areas. These four changes can only be understood in light of the commitment of the unpardonable sin in response to the rejection of the second messianic miracle. The first change concerned the purpose of His miracles. Before His rejection, the purpose of miracles was to authenticate His Messiahship, but after His rejection they were for the training of His disciples. The second change concerned the people for whom He performed the miracles. Before His rejection Jesus performed miracles for the benefit of the masses and did not ask for a demonstration of faith, but after, He only performed miracles on the basis of individual need and a demonstration of faith. The third change concerned the message that He and His disciples gave. Before His rejection when Jesus would perform miracles He would say: Go and tell, but from His rejection on, He would say: Do not tell anyone. The fourth change concerned His method of teaching. Before His rejection Yeshua taught the masses clearly, but after, He would only teach in parables. The very day that Jesus was rejected He began to speak to them in parables (Matthew 13:1-3, 34-35; Mark 4:34). It is impossible to understand why His ministry changed in these four areas unless we first understand how critical the unpardonable sin was. The rejection of His Messiahship on the grounds of demon possession was a direct response to the second messianic miracle. Therefore, sufficient light had been given to them. They had rejected the light and no more would be given. ~The Teaching Ministry of Jay Mack~

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Compassion of Yeshua

Matt 9:35-38 New King James Version said:
35 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. 38 Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”

As the title says in this section we see even more of the compassion of Yeshua. Everything Yeshua did was out of compassion. He went into all the cities and villages, taught in their synagogues (showing that even in the synagogues He was recognized as a teacher), healing every sickness and every disease among them, and He was moved with compassion for them. They were like sheep without a shepherd...weary and scattered.

What is the Gospel of the Kingdom? The gospel of the Kingdom is "His will be done on earth as it is in heaven". It's seeking first the Kingdom of God and HIS righteousness, which is found only in Torah, and all the writers of the NT back it up. Is the gospel we preach putting first what Yeshua put first? Are we getting people "saved" only to have them continue to be weary and scattered and wander like sheep without a shepherd?

Yeshua said to His disciples that the harvest is plentiful. He did not see a lost cause, He saw a harvest. The harvest was not ready for picking yet but He saw it. The problem was/is the lack of laborers and He instructed them to pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. Are you capable of harvesting when the harvest is ready? Be/Get ready. :)

You may reply to this post here

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Mission of the Twelve

Matthew10:1-4 New King James Version said:
10 And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease. 2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Cananite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him.

Yeshua called His twelve disciples together. Twelve, number of the tribes of Israel.
  1. Simon, who was also called Peter. In Hebrew it's Kefa.
  2. Andrew, Simon's brother
  3. James the son of Zebedee. In Hebrew it's Ya‘akov Ben-Zavdai
  4. John, the brother of James. In Hebrew it's Yochanan
  5. Philip
  6. Bartholomew. In Hebrew it's Bar-Talmai
  7. Thomas. In Hebrew it's T’oma
  8. Matthew the tax collector. In Hebrew it's Mattityahu
  9. James the son of Alphaeus. In Hebrew it's Ya‘akov Bar-Halfai
  10. Lebbaeus Thaddaeus. In Hebrew it's Taddai
  11. Simon the Cananite. In Hebrew it's Shim‘on, the Zealot.
  12. Judas Iscariot. In Hebrew it's Y’hudah from K’riot
He gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease. Look back at Matt 8:5-13 in the Healing of a Centurion's servant in regards to an understanding of authority. Note that this was before the infilling of the Holy Spirit. They were given authority and were able to cast out demons and sickness before they were filled with the Spirit. They did not have to speak in tongues to use their authority. Something to think about I think. :)

So why is it that what seems like the majority of those who claim to be followers of HIM are not walking in the authority that has been given? What is it that is hindering?

You may reply to this post here

Mrk 3:13-19 New King James Version said:
13 And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him. 14 Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, 15 and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons: 16 Simon, to whom He gave the name Peter; 17 James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James, to whom He gave the name Boanerges, that is, “Sons of Thunder”; 18 Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon the Cananite; 19 and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him. And they went into a house.

Lke 6:12-16 New King James Version said:
12 Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God. 13 And when it was day, He called His disciples to Himself; and from them He chose twelve whom He also named apostles: 14 Simon, whom He also named Peter, and Andrew his brother; James and John; Philip and Bartholomew; 15 Matthew and Thomas; James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon called the Zealot; 16 Judas the son of James, and Judas Iscariot who also became a traitor.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Please accept my apologies for being so sporadic with this study. My younger sister had congestive heart failure right before Christmas. On Jan 27 she passed away. I don't think I have ever experienced such sorrow. I've been in a bit of a funk but feel myself slowly coming out of it. I covet your prayers and hope to be back on top of things soon.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Commissioning of the Twelve

Matt 10:5-15 New King James Version said:
5 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, 10 nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food.

11 “Now whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it is worthy, and stay there till you go out. 12 And when you go into a household, greet it. 13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet. 15 Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!

Twelve disciples. Twelve, the number of the tribes of Israel. See Matt 19:28.

In this particular "sending out" they were instructed to go nowhere among the Gentiles or the Samaritans. They were told to go to "the lost sheep of the house of Israel". Their message was to be "The kingdom of heaven is at hand"....meaning, that it's "come near".

Here are two thoughts on the "kingdom of heaven being near":

When the evidence is examined carefully, the New Testament presents the overwhelming idea that the“kingdom of God/heaven” refers to the promised Davidic Messianic Kingdom centrally based in the Abrahamic Covenant (Genesis 12, 15), the Davidic Covenant (2 Sam 7; Pss 2, 110) as well as its spiritual requirements necessary for its
realization in the New Covenant (Jer 31:31–33; Ezek 36:25–27; cp. John 3:1–6). ~F. David Farnell, Ph.D., Professor of New Testament, The Master’s Seminary~

~~~~~~~~~~

The word "near" (or in the case of other translations "at hand") is being translated from the Greek word ἐγγίζω (eggizō), which means, according to the lexicon:

1) to bring near, to join one thing to another
2) to draw or come near to, to approach

The true meaning of “for the kingdom of heaven is near” is that each of us can reach the kingdom of God immediately by turning to the Supreme Being - by worshiping Him and relying upon Him. ~Anonymous~

Their activities were to be healing the sick, cleansing the lepers, raising the dead, and casting out demons.

They were not to charge anyone for their preaching or for healing, cleansing, raising the dead, or casting out demons.

They were to take no money with them, nor anything worth trading or selling. They were not to take a bag to put extra clothes in. They were to take only what they were wearing. Why? For a worker is worthy for those who were hearing the message to support him. Hospitality was a big deal.

When they came into a town or city they were to ask who was willing to listen to their message and stay with that household until you left. They were to greet the household when they entered it and if it was a fitting place for them to stay, they were to speak peace to the house and it's occupants. If it was not a fitting household for them to stay in they were not to speak peace. And whoever refused them a place to stay and refused to listen to their message, outside that home and/or that city they were to shake the dust off their feet. Why? Yeshua said it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city! According to Ezek 16:49 Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for lack of charity and hospitality.

YOU MAY RESPOND TO THIS POST HERE

Mrk 6:7-13 New King James Version said:
7 And He called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them power over unclean spirits. 8 He commanded them to take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bag, no bread, no copper in their money belts— 9 but to wear sandals, and not to put on two tunics.

10 Also He said to them, “In whatever place you enter a house, stay there till you depart from that place. 11 And whoever will not receive you nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust under your feet as a testimony against them. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!”

12 So they went out and preached that people should repent. 13 And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and healed them.

Lke 9:1-6 New King James Version said:
9 Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. 2 He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 And He said to them, “Take nothing for the journey, neither staffs nor bag nor bread nor money; and do not have two tunics apiece.

4 “Whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. 5 And whoever will not receive you, when you go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet as a testimony against them.”

6 So they departed and went through the towns, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Coming Persecutions

Matt 10:16-25 New King James Version said:
16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. 17 But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils* and scourge you in their synagogues*. 18 You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they deliver you up, do not worry* about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; 20 for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you*.

21 “Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. 23 When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes*.

24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub*, how much more will they call those of his household!

Yeshua tells them up front what they are to expect. They will not receive lofty accolades. Instead they will be ripped apart like sheep by wolves. He tells them to be wise as serpents but to be harmless like doves. Think things through, don't be caught up in lies and things that others will want to tell you. You will be delivered up to the lawmakers and to kings and it will be for MY sake, as a testimony to them (the leaders) and to the Gentiles (the non Jews/heathen). You won't be loved by the world. He who endures it all to the end, will be saved. When they persecute you in one city it's ok to flee to the next. It is not expected that we just let them kill us. He tells them they will not be able to go through all the cities and towns in Israel before He returns. How that is I don't know, perhaps it's that as long as there is marrying and giving birth there is always people to hear the Good News.

Here are some good thoughts on verses 24 and 25 from commentators at studylight . org

(V.17) Sanhedrin Councils. Sanhedrins are community councils responsible for maintaining law and order and deciding local issues. ~One New Man Bible~

(V.17) Synagogues. While this word could be translated synagogues, "a gathering of people" is the primary meaning and no one would be scourged in a synagogue. Lk 4:28-30 tells of Y'shua's being driven from the city when the congregation was enraged. ~One New Man Bible~

Congregation is the appropriate translation of the Greek word Ekklesia, which means a group of people who have gathered for some particular purpose. Although often translated church, no Greek word meaning Church is used in the Greek New Testament. Another Greek word sometimes translated Church, is James 2:2, is Sunagoga, now written synagogue in English. Sunagoga means a gathering of people or an assembley. Church is not an appropriate translation of either word because that in our minds refers to an organization or to a building, while bothe Greek words, Ekklesia and Sunagoga, refer to people. The people are far more important than the organization or the building. ~One New Man Bible~

(V.19) Worry/Anxiety. Do not ever be anxious, for we do not have anxiety, which is a curse. Instead we have zeal and are eager for the work of the LORD. ~One New Man Bible~

(V.20) The Complete Jewish Bible says " For it will not be just you speaking, but the Spirit of your heavenly Father speaking through you". It is explained that the word "just" is not in the Greek text; I have added it to avoid the implication that the Spirit of your heavenly Father might take control of someone without his knowledge or against his will. ~Jewish New Testament Commentary~

It's the Spirit of God speaking through us as we submit to Him.

(V.23) Every generation is to believe that it is in the end times. ~One New Man Bible~

(V.25) Ba'al-Zibbul or Ba'al-z'vuv (the manuscripts differ); usually seen in English as "Beelzebul" and "Beelzebub": derogatory names for the Adversary. The latter is the name of a Philistine god (2 Kings 1:2) and in Hebrew means "lord of a fly." The Ugaritic root z-b-l means "prince," making the former name imply that the Adversary has a measure of status and power; but in post-biblical Hebrew the root z-b-l means "dung," with "Ba'al-zibbul" meaning "defecator." Other interpretations are possible. ~Jewish New Testament Commentary~

(V.25) Beelzebul, from Hebrew, "lord of lofty abode," a Canaanite god, whose name was changed pejoratively to Beelzebub, "Lord of the flies" in 2 Kings 1:2-3, 6:16, and later associated with the demonic in early Jewish and Christian tradition. ~The Jewish Annotated New Testament~

Mrk 13:9-13 New King James Version said:
9 “But watch out for yourselves, for they will deliver you up to councils, and you will be beaten in the synagogues. You will be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony to them. 10 And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations. 11 But when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. 12 Now brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 13 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

Lk 21:12-17 New King James Version said:
12 But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and rulers for My name’s sake. 13 But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony. 14 Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer; 15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist. 16 You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death. 17 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake.

YOU MAY REPLY TO THIS POST HERE

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Whom To Fear

Matt 10:26-31 New King James Version said:
26 Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.

27 “Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops*. 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy* both soul and body in hell* (or Gehenna). 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

In addition to the last portion where Yeshua tells the disciples the troubles they will encounter from others, He tells them "do not fear them". Do not be anxious and do not fear. For God cares for sparrows and not one of them falls without it being The Father's will. The very hairs of our heads are numbered. We are more valuable then sparrows.

The One New Man Bible said:
(V. 27) Houses and public buildings in ancient Israel had flat roofs that were often used for storage and other purposes, such as the prophet's room built for Elisha.

(V.28) Gehenna is the Greek spelling of the Hebrew term, Ge Hinnom, for valley of Hinnom, the place outside Jerusalem where garbage, trash, dead animals, and even executed criminals were disposed of. Fires burned continuously to get rid of the trash and also the bodies. Worms lived in whatever had not been consumed by the fires. The smoke, fires, and worms were a constant remindet to the residents and visitors to Jerusalem of the description of Sheol, so Gehenna was used as a synonym for Sheol. From early in the history of Isreal this valley was used for human sacrifices, offerings of babies to the heathen god, Moloch. Josh 15:8 is the earliest reference, then Josh 18:16, Jer 7:32; 19:2, 6; 32:35, and 2 Chr 28:3. 2 Ki 23:10 uses the full name of the valley, Valley of the Sons of Hinnom. Hinnom means wailing, lamentation.

Jewish New Testament said:
(V.27) The housetops were flat roofs where people gathered when the weather was pleasant (compare Mrk 2:4). Since houses were close together, people could shout from their housetops and proclaim to an impromptu audience.

(V.28) Him who can destroy..., that is, God.

The Jewish Annotated New Testament said:
(V. 26 So have no fear of them, likely reflecting the dedication of Jeremiah in Jer 1:8

(V. 28 Fear him, see Heb 10:31, lit, "Gehenna"; see Mt 5:22

(V. 29-31) Sparrows, if God cares for seemingly insignificant animals, how much more so will God care for human beings

YOU MAY RESPOND TO THIS POST HERE

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Confessing Messiah Before Men

Matt 10:32-33 New King James Version said:
32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

Continuing on, Yeshua tells them even though they are persecuted, their faithfulness to affirm their faith, allegiance, and belonging to Him and what He has taught them will bring them the reward of Him speaking to His Father in heaven on their behalf. HE will say, "I know him, he is mine. He put his faith and trust in Me for his salvation. He belongs to Me". Yeshua added that giving into fear and anxiety and denying Him, would result in His not speaking to the Father in heaven on their behalf. They possibly would hear "depart from Me, I never knew you".

Remember Peter denied Yeshua 3 times. He claimed he did not know Yeshua. Later on though there was a dramatic change in Peter and he gave his life for preaching the Gospel. He did not give up and say there is no hope for me, although I would not doubt that is how he felt. Peter received forgiveness for his denial and we know that Yeshua is speaking very highly of Him before His Father.

Remain faithful to Him, the rewards will be worth it.

Complete Jewish Bible said:

32 “Whoever acknowledges me in the presence of others I will also acknowledge in the presence of my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Not Peace, but a Sword

Matt 10:34-39 New King James Version said:
34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ 37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

I believe the key to understanding this section of verses is seen in the last verse. I think we can understand it a little better when reading the Easy To Read version:

Matt 10:34-39 Easy To Read Version said:
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace. I came to bring trouble. 35 I have come to make this happen:

‘A son will turn against his father.
A daughter will turn against her mother.
A daughter-in-law will turn against her mother-in-law.
36 Even members of your own family will be your enemies.’

37 “Those who love their father or mother more than they love me are not worthy of me. And those who love their son or daughter more than they love me are not worthy of me. 38 Those who will not accept the cross that is given to them when they follow me are not worthy of me. 39 Those who try to keep the life they have will lose it. But those who give up their life for me will find true life.

The desire of Yeshua is to bring all men to know Him. He is out to change our life. When we come to Him and vow to follow Him everywhere He leads us there is the expectation of change. When our heart is truly captivated by Him, there is a very marked change. We are becoming perfected and it will show. It will show in the way we act. It will show in the way we think. It will show in every area of our lives....for the rest of our lives. It may be in huge chunks or it may be in bits and pieces, but there will be change. Where we were dishonest, we become honest. Where our thinking was skewed and not at all the way God thinks our opinions start to change.

As a result of this change in us, there WILL be upset among your friends and family. Your new ways WILL cause them conviction and they will begin to lash out at you. Those who are wishy-washy in their own walk will accuse you of being a "goody two shoes". When you won't cheat anymore on something, or you won't participate anymore in things that do not bring HIM glory, they will say "so are you saying that I'm a sinner?" And so forth and so on. There is no way around it. If you have truly laid down your life to follow Yeshua (Jesus) this WILL happen. If it's not, ask God to show you why.

Yeshua did not come so that we can live all comfortable and still be the same old people we've always been and still go to heaven. Scripture is clear that those who continue on in their old ways (without that uncomfortableness that is bringing change) will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. (1 Cor 6:8-11) Note that in verse 11 it says (in paraphrase) "some of you WERE (past tense, meaning they were no longer like that) like this, but you were washed, you were sanctified, and you were justified" There was change.

If we love the approval of our father and mother, our sons or daughters, brothers and sisters, etc., and we back off following Yeshua in the way that He's called so as not to have them upset at us then we are not worthy of Him. We are not to deliberately make people angry, but we are not to pacify them either and deny our faith and our walk with Him. We must follow Him completely. Yes, with some it takes longer than others, but as long as there is movement forward then you are changing....and that's good.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Rewards

Matt 10:40-11:1 New King James Version said:
40 “He who receives* you receives Me, and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me. 41 He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward. And he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward. 42 And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward.”

11:1 Now it came to pass, when Jesus finished commanding His twelve disciples, that He departed from there to teach and to preach in their cities.

(40) The One New Man Bible translates the word "receives" as "takes". Commentary says "The Greek word translated Take in this verse means to take by the hand. We are to really grab hold of Y'shua, the LORD, and all His teachings". Matt 11:12 "From the days of John the Immerser until now the Kingdom of the Heavens is taken by violence, and shares in the heavenly kingdom are sought for with the most ardent zeal and the most intense exertion and violent men are seizing it, each one claiming eagerly for himself".

Besides those who will rise up against us because of our commitment to Yeshua there will also be those who welcome us, and they are eager to hear what we have to say to them regarding the gospel. As they receive you and your message they receive Yeshua.

The word receive means: To take into one's possession (something offered or delivered). To receive Yeshua as one's Lord and Savior, as the One New Man Version pointed out, is to grab hold of HIM firmly and follow Him and all of what He taught. Of course that does not mean that one is doing it all perfectly from the beginning and never stumbles. The attitude though behind our stumblings says a lot about what is in our heart and whether we are truly holding on to Him and all that He's giving us. Seeing less than full commitment (all of us will see that in some area of our walk) is not cause for depression and backsliding, it's cause for repentance and then moving forward in the best way that we understand. It's not bad to fall. It is bad to wallow in our fall and not get up.

Anyway, as you and your message is received, Yeshua is being received and when Yeshua is received, the ONE who sent Yeshua is received. Whoever receives a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet's reward. He who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward.

• What is a prophet's reward?
  • What is a righteous man's reward?
I found this audio teaching (it's only a little over 29 minutes) by T.D. Lancaster quite informative regarding these two question. Enjoy.
Even if all one is able to do for a follower of Yeshua is give them a cup of cold water there is a reward from God.

Upvote 0