Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you had to pick ten classics of biological literature, what would they be? The criteria:

1. Scientific thought and discovery that profoundly advanced biological knowledge.
2. Engaging literature

The easy picks:
Darwin's Origin of Species certainly, and maybe The Descent of Man.
D'Arcy Thompson's On Growth and Form

Irwin Schrödinger's What is Life? (for his remarkable prediction that heredity would be found in the form of "aperiodic crystals")
James Watson's The Molecular Biology of the Gene (well, maybe not great literature, but readable and extremely important)
What else?

Reactions: Blue Wren

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you had to pick ten classics of biological literature, what would they be?
1. The Preservation of Favoured Races
2. Mein Kampf
3. The Hellstrom Chronicle
4. Planet of the Apes
5. 2001 A Space Odyssey
6. Jaws
7. Jurassic Park
8. King Kong
9. It's Alive
10. The Prophecy (1979)

Reactions: Heissonear
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe if he called this a "challenge" you could have found just a little respect.
No disrespect intended.

I believe "My Struggle" is the sequel to "The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life".

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No disrespect intended.

I believe "My Struggle" is the sequel to "The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life".
Congrats on godwining this thread by just the 3rd post.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ah yes "the preservation of favoured races" must be racist. No, as Evolutionwiki puts it

1. "Race" to a 19th century naturalist simply meant distinctpopulations within a specific species, not necessarily human races. Indeed, human races, nor even human evolution are not discussed at all in Darwin's first book on evolution. And as such, given as how the "races" mentioned in Darwin's book included various pigeon and pig breeds, as well as certain mollusks, any claim that suggests that Darwin was "racist" is totally absurd.
  2. Whoever makes or uses this claim has never so much as read any of Darwin's works, especially since "On the Origin of Species" never discusses human evolution in the first place.
  3. "Race," ala "racial variant," is still used by modern-day biologists to refer to different populations within species, with no racist connotations, in fact.
  4. "The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" is the subtitle of Darwin's Origin of Species. It can be taken to mean the same thing as the later phrase "survival of the fittest" which was not coined by Darwin. The phrase illustrates a consequence of, not a basis for, evolution.
And note, darwins books were on the banned list in nazi germany. Unlike the bible, but then Hitler was both a christian and a creationist after all.

Reactions: Dr GS Hurd
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah yes "the preservation of favoured races" must be racist.
Now that you guys have played your "these books are racist" cards, would it be too much to ask what you think of them on a purely scientific basis?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Now that you guys have played your "these books are racist" cards, would it be too much to ask what you think of them on a purely scientific basis?
It was you in placing origin of species next to mein kampf and lost. Though I can see why you picked mein kampf after all it was written by a creationist:)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Though I can see why you picked mein kampf after all it was written by a creationist:)
So what?

Satan is a creationist too.

I picked Mein Kampf for personal reasons.

And for the record, I don't see your list on here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So what?

Satan is a creationist too.

I picked Mein Kampf for personal reasons.

And for the record, I don't see your list on here.
Funny that, I don't see yours either, you have 1 biology book, correctly titled origin of the species, 1 piece of nazi crap, and 8 works fiction. I don't tend to read biology books, a bit dry for my liking.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Funny that, I don't see yours either, you have 1 biology book, correctly titled origin of the species, 1 piece of nazi crap, and 8 works fiction. I don't tend to read biology books, a bit dry for my liking.
Perhaps you'd like to explain to this ignit then what the OP meant by "classics of biological literature"?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you'd like to explain to this ignit then what the OP meant by "classics of biological literature"?
Read the op, at a guess he is talking about books dealing with biology, such as Darwins "on the origin if species" Richard Dawkins "the selfish gene".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,905,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Read the op,
The read the OP there, Goonie.

It looks like your narrow interpretation prevents someone coming up with ten classics of biology, doesn't it?

Do you want to answer it too, or are you just critiquing those who do?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The read the OP there, Goonie.

It looks like your narrow interpretation prevents someone coming up with ten classics of biology, doesn't it?

Do you want to answer it too, or are you just critiquing those who do?
Hmm, point 2 does open it up, so if we are going for engaging literature
1. "The secret history" dona tartt
2. "lord of the rings" j r r tolkien
3. "Magician" Raymond e feist
4. "Revelation space" Alistair Reynolds
5. "1913" florin lilies
6. "Battle cry of freedom" James mcpherson
7. "Elizabeth is missing" Emma Healey
8. "Jurassic park" Michael Criichton
9. "Colour of Magic" terry pratchett
10. "Ready player one" Ernest clone

There we are my list of 10 engaging reads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
AV1611VET just gave us the creationists bookshelf, instead.

And I don't think great scientific literature is dead today. Try Life's Devices or The Evolution of Vertebrate Design or The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat. Design in Nature, by Adrian Bejan, is an exceptionally good read, and a controversial, but enlightening look at the way nature hones the structure of systems.

Warning: "design" in these books, is not what creationists would want it to be.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
AV1611VET just gave us the creationists bookshelf, instead.

And I don't think great scientific literature is dead today. Try Life's Devices or The Evolution of Vertebrate Design or The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat. Design in Nature, by Adrian Bejan, is an exceptionally good read, and a controversial, but enlightening look at the way nature hones the structure of systems.

Warning: "design" in these books, is not what creationists would want it to be.
Apologies for sidelining the thread:) must remember not to take AV'S bait.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And note, darwins books were on the banned list in nazi germany. Unlike the bible, but then Hitler was both a christian and a creationist after all.[/QUOTE]

Though your comment like Post 3 diverts the thread I would like to clarify something. See for starters Weikart’s, From Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany (Macmillan, New York, 2004), and The Descent of Darwin: The Popularization of Darwinism in Germany, 1860-1914, byAlfred Kelly, and Edgar B. Graves.

It was no secret that Hitler hated Christians at the time, Goebbels again once said,

"The Fuhrer is deeply religious, though completely anti-Christian. He views Christianity as a symptom of decay…It is a branch of the Jewish race... Both [Judaism and Christianity] have no point of contact to the animal element, and thus, in the end, they will be destroyed."

"The National Church demands immediate cessation of the publishing…the Bible in Germany…”

"On the altars there must be nothing but 'Mein Kampf' and to the left of the altar a sword.”

"On the day of its foundation, the Christian Cross must be removed from all churches, cathedrals and chapels...and it must be superseded by the only unconquerable symbol, the swastika."

These quotations are taken from The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, (William L. Shirer), in the section entitled "Triumph and Consolidation", in the subsection "The Persecution of the Christian Churches". Please do not take my word for this but rather go and explore these things for yourself before it is too late.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In Hitler's Secret Conversations 1941-1944 (published by Farrar, Straus and Young, Inc. first edition, 1953). a translation of the "Bormann-Vermerke"! According to Bormann (Hitler's personal secretary), Hitler said

The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity.... Let it not be said that Christianity brought man the life of the soul, for that evolution was in the natural order of things.” (p 6 & 7)

Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of the human failure. “(p 43)

The best thing is to let Christianity die a natural death.... When understanding of the universe has become widespread... Christian doctrine will be convicted of absurdity.... Christianity has reached the peak of absurdity.... And that's why someday its structure will collapse.... ...the only way to get rid of Christianity is to allow it to die little by little.... Christianity the liar.... We'll see to it that the Churches cannot spread abroad teachings in conflict with the interests of the State.” (p 49-52)

"It is deplorable that the Bible should have been translated into German, and that the whole of the German people should have thus become exposed to the whole of this Jewish mumbo-jumbo. So long as the wisdom, particularly of the Old Testament, remained exclusively in the Latin of the Church, there was little danger that sensible people would become the victims of illusions as the result of studying the Bible. But since the Bible became common property, a whole heap of people have found opened to them lines of religious thought which - particularly in conjunction with the German characteristic of persistent and somewhat melancholy meditation - as often as not turned them into religious maniacs. When one recollects further that the Catholic Church has elevated to the status of Saints a whole number of madmen, one realizes why movements such as that of the Flagellants came inevitably into existence in the Middle Ages in Germany. "As a sane German, one is flabbergasted to think that German human beings could have let themselves be brought to such a pass by Jewish filth and priestly twaddle, that they were little different from the howling dervish of the Turks and the negroes, at whom we laugh so scornfully." (p 543)

"Why not [make peace with the churches]? That will not prevent me from totally uprooting Christianity in Germany and eliminating it lock, stock and barrel. It is, however, decisive for our people whether they have the Judeo-Christian faith and its flabby morality of sympathy, or a strong, heroic faith in god in nature, in god in one's own people, in god in one's own fate, in one's own blood. ... One is either a Christian or a German. One can't be both."

Here are the Lyrics to a Hitler Youth marching song (Grunberger, A Social History) recorded in The Third Reich: a New History, Pan, 2001

“We follow not Christ, but Horst Wessel,

Away with incense and Holy Water,

The Church can go hang for all we care,

The Swastika brings salvation on Earth.”

Just because Hitler's family had him baptized as a baby does no make him a Christian he was a devout believer in Darwinism. Now go back to Barb's question what are some amazingly influential Biological books and instigators from both sides please stop and let us see where this thread goes. He gave a few in his list. Any more? Do any disagree and feel that one or more should not deserve such a status?

Upvote 0