The Bible calls homosexual activity wrong, but . . .

True_Blue

Non-denominational, literalist YEC Christian
Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh Gawd, more "thought police for Jesus"

Knowing that God always perceives our thoughts requires keeping our thoughts in check. This is a very good thing for us--it keeps us in check. Better we keep ourselves in check than to have our behavior run amok.

Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're right--it's a sin to look at a woman lustfully (unless she's your wife, of course). God looks into our minds and sees our thoughts and our intentions. Society requires evidence, and can't practically punish thoughts as crimes unless the thoughts are expressed in the physical world by an actus reus.
But you said the Bible (not civil law) only prohibits actus reus.

I totally agree that civil law cannot and should not punish thought.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Heterosexuals are vastly superior to lesbians because they have more sex??? Never heard this argument before. So gay men are inferior because they have too much sex. And lesbian women are inferior because they don't have enough.

My cousin was adopted as an infant by my aunt and uncle who love him to BITS. Are you saying they love him less than they would if they could "see each other in [his] eyes"? Would you would love your adopted children less than your biological ones? Or are you saying you would never consider adopting because this would result in an inferior family?

Beechy, I'm not saying one group of people is superior to another (we're all the same, ultimately). I'm saying some practices are better than others.

My parents have taken care of foster children for years, and they're doing a wonderful community service. But people are genetically hardwired, and genes have a powerful influence on parental behavior. This is not a good thing, but I've seen it everywhere. The movie Cinderella is the prototypical example.

Upvote 0

True_Blue

Mar 4, 2004
California
✟2,444.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But you said the Bible (not civil law) only prohibits actus reus.

I totally agree that civil law cannot and should not punish thought.

The Bible is multifaceted. Leviticus and Deuteronomy are books full of civil law. The New Testament is principles-based and "above" the law. Jesus teaches us that we can obey every aspect of the Old Testament law and still be hypocritical sinners (Pharisees). For example, I have never committed adultery according to the Old Testament, but I have looked at inappropriate contentography. That makes me a mental adulterer, so I have no claim of moral superiority over anyone else, such as homosexuals.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Knowing that God always perceives our thoughts requires keeping our thoughts in check. This is a very good thing for us--it keeps us in check. Better we keep ourselves in check than to have our behavior run amok.
I find it disturbing when I encounter people who think the only reason to act morally is because God disaproves otherwise, not because morality is inherently right

Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Beechy, I'm not saying one group of people is superior to another (we're all the same, ultimately). I'm saying some practices are better than others.
You're saying that straight sex is better than lesbian sex because straight people have sex more often? What does this have to do with anything??

My parents have taken care of foster children for years, and they're doing a wonderful community service. But people are genetically hardwired, and genes have a powerful influence on parental behavior. This is not a good thing, but I've seen it everywhere. The movie Cinderella is the prototypical example.
Cinderella. Um, ok. So you believe my aunt and uncle have an inferior family because my cousin was adopted?

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Yes. And many other reasons.
So they should have sex more to prove themselves? Even if they don't want to?

Pure number of sexual encounters proves the worthiness of a relationship?

How shallow.

Also for some reason I'm getting flashbacks of Ted Haggard claiming to have sex with his wife multiple times a day. Almost like he was trying to convince us all of something... while hiding something he was ashamned of. Guess thats just coincidence huh?

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Yes, and we are getting you to support why some practices are better than others. So far, it appears that you are prejudiced, that you can't support why some practices are "better".

Except genetics has little to do with raising children. Actually, the bond between parents and children is chemically based (a hormone released in those tender, caring moments) and has nothing to do with common genes.

The fact is parents can be good or bad and has nothing to do with genetics. In fact, most pedophiles are genetically related to their victims -- which is far better proof that genetics has no role in raising children than a fairy tale.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
You're saying that straight sex is better than lesbian sex because straight people have sex more often? What does this have to do with anything??

Cinderlla. Um, ok. So you believe my aunt and uncle have an inferior family because my cousin was adopted?

Typically we hear that straight sex is better because "gays" are all about lust (even if it isn't actually true). Funny how we are now hearing the opposite argument.
:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
So they should have sex more to prove themselves? Even if they don't want to?

Pure number of sexual encounters proves the worthiness of a relationship?

How shallow of you.
I think maybe he's saying you can tell how good the sex is by how many times people do it. So lesbian sex is less good. But gay sex is too good (since the gay lifestyle involves promiscuity and hundreds of sex partners). And straight sex is medium good. And we know from fairy tales (in this case, not Cinderella but the Goldilocks and the Three Bears), that medium good is juuuust right.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think maybe he's saying you can tell how good the sex is by how many times people do it. So lesbian sex is less good. But gay sex is too good (since the gay lifestyle involves promiscuity and hundreds of sex partners). And straight sex is medium good. And we know from fairy tales (in this case, not Cinderella but the Goldilocks and the Three Bears), that medium good is juuuust right.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm in one of the Shrek movies. ;)

Next I'll be hearing about how homosexuality is wrong since fairy tales are always about a man saving a woman.

Reactions: TheManeki
Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also for some reason I'm getting flashbacks of Ted Haggard claiming to have sex with his wife multiple times a day. Almost like he was trying to convince us all of something... while hiding something he was ashamned of. Guess thats just coincidence huh?
Mmm hmm.

Reactions: icedtea
Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
That whole "quality vs. quantity" thing just passed some people by, huh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I've only ever seen one study on average lesbian life expectancies, and it was shockingly low, somewhere around 44-45. The survey itself had clear flaws, but no university, government, or similar institution has taken itself to measure lesbian life expectancies and fill the gap in human knowledge. I think people are afraid to peer into this realm of study out of fear of what they might find.

I'm happy that you're currently healthy, lighthorseman, and I hope you remain that way.
Be careful. That is a Paul Cameron lie.

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There is great harm in homosexual acts. You may say "well its just sex , how can it hurt". There are many factors both physical and spiritual. First the homosexual community has a very high suicide rate, which shows there is great post-coital depression in gay couples.
And has nothing to do with 'post-coital depression' and everything to do with being ostracized.
The worst is what it does to the state of your soul, which puts you in a state of mortal sin and denial. Lastly the per captia percentage of AIDS and other STDS in the gay community has a much higher per captia rate than heterosexuals.
Expect for Africa, where HIV effects heterosexuals much more than homosexuals. Or lesbians, which have much lower transmission rates than heterosexuals. And since the fasting growing group right now in the US is black women, does that mean it is a sin to be a black woman?
Meaning if you are gay you have greatly a higher risk of a lower life span. I believe the average life of a homosexual is a little over 40 years old.
Paul Cameron tells lies.
Lastly the sex in itself is dangerous, since the colon was designed to expel waste and has a very thin walls that are not designed to have things inserted against it. There is always risks of things like fissures, perforation, and infection due to contact with bacteria like e-coli and salmenella.
Two points. Heterosexuals engage in anal sex. It ain't just for homosexuals. Second point: What about lesbians? Why do they get left behind in these discussions?

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
There are lots of meanings for the word "love." The agape kind of love, the self-sacrificial, unconditional kind of love, is love in conformity with God's character. Two homosexuals can't love each other in the agape way as long as they are engaging in sexual behavior with each other.
Absolute nonsense, sorry.

Homosexual couples are no different from heterosexual couples in that respect. Otherwise they wouldn't be "couples". This isn't rocket science.

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
There is great harm in homosexual acts. You may say "well its just sex , how can it hurt". There are many factors both physical and spiritual. First the homosexual community has a very high suicide rate, which shows there is great post-coital depression in gay couples.
Except to those of us who can honestly look at the issue this is completely spurious. Post-coital depression? I'll crack the jokes.

How about the continued efforts of Christians to inform they are "wrong" or "flawed" because of who they are? Right there is the cause of their depression. Christians are part of this problem, not the solution.
The worst is what it does to the state of your soul, which puts you in a state of mortal sin and denial.
Again, that's you guys that inflict that upon them.
Lastly the sex in itself is dangerous, since the colon was designed to expel waste and has a very thin walls that are not designed to have things inserted against it. There is always risks of things like fissures, perforation, and infection due to contact with bacteria like e-coli and salmenella.
You know the vast majority of people having anal sex are heterosexual couples right?

I understand your devotion to an old book blinds you to right and wrong or simple honesty, but really you should try and "think outside the book".

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
like everything else in the bible we are told to avoid things that are not functional or beneficial... it's not about harm as much as it doesn't work (produce fruit or be of benefit). Paul says all things are now lawful, but not all things are beneficial... i think this plays to that. at this point it is no longer a world of law but of love so there is no point in judging this issue anymore anyway.

Upvote 0