✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Tattoos

I think if you have come to the Lord and you had tattoos then there is no judgement for those tattoos. It is the same as being circumcised. Are we to go and be circumcised as soon as we come to know the Lord? Same with foods. Is it the food that causes the contamination of the spirit? Or what comes from our heart that shows what the contamination is? We would all need to look at what motivates us to do certain things. Is it to bring recognition to ourselves? Do we bring glory to God with what we have done? Do we hurt a weak brother in Christ with our actions? If they see it as a sin then refrain from doing it for their sake. We don't need to justify our actions, but we do need to please the Lord. Look at yourself and ask will this please God or just please me? You are the temple. I think our part is to keep it Holy for the Lord. I give no judgement to you, but look at yourself and see if what you are doing in whatever it may be brings glory to God.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I'm heavily tattooed on both arms.

If a Christian wears mixed fibers but not tattoos, and they want to judge something, what will they pick on? BINGO.
The point of cleanliness laws, which mixed fibers was one of them, is that God has cleansed the unclean and is now acceptable. The difference is that this verse i part of the holiness laws, which are still in effect today. Also the context of this verse is in laws about religious worship. In most cultures tattoos take on a spiritual significance and thus they are aligning yourself false gods and thus it is idolatry. Now most tattoosin our society don't have any spiritual significance, but I would still avoid them.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I must be the other 10% :thumbsup:
I love animals, I rescue animals, all my tattoos are animals :thumbsup::thumbsup:

it all comes down to how you would react - from he heart - should you learn it is wrong to mark your body this way and that the Lord Jesus doesn't want you to do it .

would you A -rebel,
or would you b - say, "sorry lord ,please forgive me i wont do that any more because i love you.

and to throw a legalistic spoke in the works -you do know that to make images of things created .. and give them importance - (elevate them ) is a form of idolizing them ?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
.. hmm that's gonna upset the pigeons lol

Upvote 0
J

John Olexa

and to throw a legalistic spoke in the works -you do know that to make images of things created .. and give them importance - (elevate them ) is a form of idolizing them ?

I disagree. There is a difference between importance & idolzing.
As long you put nothing "ahead" of God you're ok.
I love ( not idolize) my ink and I love ( not idolize) animals but nether do I love more than God.

Upvote 0
J

John Olexa

We are not under the Old Testament Jewish laws. And the bodies we occupy today are not the same bodies we will occupy in eternity. However, we need to be aware of the impression we give those to whom we wish to witness.

Agreed!
Before people talk about Leviticus 19:28 Look at verse 26, "Do not eat meat that has not been drained of its blood," and verse 27, "Do not trim off the hair on your temples or trim your beards." Lots of Christians today eat non-kosher meats and get haircuts and are clean shaven without participating in the pagan worship. Back then these customs were associated with pagan rites and rituals. Today they are not.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2013
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My opinion is this. Scripture tells us straightforwardly NOT to mark or cut ourselves. So for me, it is cut and dry. I am 30 now, and unlike many of my peers, I have zero tattoos or piercings. However, I don't cast judgment as that will be Jesus' job when he returns. Our focus should be more on spreading the Gospel and helping our fellow Christians out, than worrying about how much of a better Christian one person is than another. Take the beam out of your own eye, then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brothers eye..

Tattoos have always been a work of paganism, and its semi-recent acceptance in the Christian world should be intolerable. Out pastors should have enough courage to speak the truth in season and out of season, but this age of political correctness is bringing us to our demise.. We could easily blame one another, but how about we point that finger inward? What is it that you have done to teach the truth, to enlighten the younger generations, and on a whole, build the foundations of a Godly society? Like me, Im sure many of you have a closet full of skeletons that we are scared for others to see. So, tattoos are the least of my concerns at the moment. How about bringing our children into the light, or removing the liberal heathens that our lands and try to destroy God?

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2013
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brother, I'm confused. You say we aren't under the OT laws, but when were they annulled? Jesus told us plainly in Matthew 5:17-19 where He stood with the Law, and heaven and earth have yet to pass, so...

The way I've understood it is that the Law still in effect, but we aren't bound to the law as we were before Calvary. This is what Paul wrote about frequently and still causes too much debate today. The Law is eternal, it is perfect and is written in our hearts. But if we allow the law to govern our lives to the point of ritualism, we run into a severe problem. Suddenly, the law can become the idol.. i.e. I know several Christians that abstain from eating pork. Yes, the scripture commands this, and modern studies have proven just how disgusting these animals truly are. But I dont think that will relate to us in the Kingdom, its for our own health. Say, we learn that pork is a leading factor in cancer and many other illnesses, yet we still choose to eat it frequently. Should we blame God for allowing us to get sick, or ourselves for not obeying? I don't believe that any man can achieve the entire law, as it is all but impossible. But I think that trying, at least, makes the difference.

1 John 3:4 teaches that sin is transgression of the law, so if the law is no longer in effect, then there can be no more sin... Jesus taught " Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." in Matt 5:19 So we should be very careful about what we teach. From this one verse, I can see plainly that by NOT doing the law and teaching others the same, I will be considered LEAST in the kingdom to come. So I would rather err on the side of caution, than not.

The law is not the offense, it is mans own self righteousness that causes problems. The Pharisees believed they were better than everyone around them because they 'kept' the law, yet Jesus pointed out to them their hypocrisy on numerous occasions. If the law is no longer in effect, then we have nothing to base our 'works' on nor do we have any means of knowing what 'sin' is. This is just my understanding however, so please share with me some wisdom kinsmen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 8, 2013
West Virginia
Visit site
✟7,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The whole Bible is the truth. Some verses are meant for specific people in the Bible and Some verses are meant to apply to yourself. Leviticus on tats is one of those verses not meant for you.. But if you choose to live that way then there is nothing wrong with that.

BUT if you are going to apply Leviticus 19:28 to your life then apply the verse directly after it and before it. Don't take it out of context ! Don't ever eat red meat that means everything has to be well done. Don't trim your beards, etc.

Now some of it like other parts of the OT are morally correct to live by. Like don't make your daughter a prostitute.

Upvote 0

generationxerforhim

Jun 23, 2013
✟7,628.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whats funny is that those who say tatts are wrong ignore the verses in revelations that say Jesus has a tattoo on his thigh...and the word also says that GOD has our names WRITTEN in the palm of his hand. Isaiah 49:16. Its up for interpretation. Its not a salvation thing unless you are getting tatts as a form of idol worship or something pagan like that. The Bible says that God is not concerned with the outward appearence but the contents of your heart.

If getting a tatt is a form of rebellion for you....DO NOT GET ONE.

If getting a tatt is more important than other things....RECONSIDER

If YOU are convicted about getting a tatt DO NOT DO IT.

But if none of the above applies to you than have at it. God is concerned about the state of your soul and if you LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF AND IF YOU LOVE GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART MIND AND SOUL.

This is why non believers dont want to touch us with a ten foot pole. We strain at a gnat to swallow a camel!

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2013
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whats funny is that those who say tatts are wrong ignore the verses in revelations that say Jesus has a tattoo on his thigh...and the word also says that GOD has our names WRITTEN in the palm of his hand. Isaiah 49:16. Its up for interpretation. Its not a salvation thing unless you are getting tatts as a form of idol worship or something pagan like that. The Bible says that God is not concerned with the outward appearence but the contents of your heart.

If getting a tatt is a form of rebellion for you....DO NOT GET ONE.

If getting a tatt is more important than other things....RECONSIDER

If YOU are convicted about getting a tatt DO NOT DO IT.

But if none of the above applies to you than have at it. God is concerned about the state of your soul and if you LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF AND IF YOU LOVE GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART MIND AND SOUL.

This is why non believers dont want to touch us with a ten foot pole. We strain at a gnat to swallow a camel!

I agree with most of your above statement, but I do have to point out that Jesus is not going to return with sleeves of tattoos, nor any mark as such. The entire book of Revelation is a vision given to John while on Patmos Island, and as such, we must perceive the book as a vision. But, like you said, God cares about where your heart lies, and if you seek worldly things (such as tattoos, among other things) more than you do His knowledge or His grace, then you run a huge risk no matter how you WANT to look at it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
or again it all comes down to folks wishing to justify their own actions in disregard to the will of the Holy Spirit - who is the spirit of Christ Jesus .

so if you can tell me with God as witness , that the holy Spirit told you to get tats .. then i will accept that it is of the lord .. but if you cannot -then you just got them out of your own fleshy will.
be honest .

-------
wow i must be in an odd mood lol

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. There is a difference between importance & idolzing.
As long you put nothing "ahead" of God you're ok.
I love ( not idolize) my ink and I love ( not idolize) animals but nether do I love more than God.

good reply :)
- and it remains true that we all must remain obedient to "his "will not our own :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have two tattoos, one that says 'excelsior' which means to take something negative and turn it into something positive. So I think as long as it has a good or important meaning behind it instead of getting it just because, it's fine.

Hi; so was it at 18 that you chose to become a tattooed woman? it often does happen at 18, these days, anyway.

Great John 14.27 header verse, btw!

Upvote 0