Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We're not under the Law, but a lot of the OT gives us a good idea about God's opinion of certain things. For instance, divorce. Is a person condemned if he's had a divorce. Probably not. But when God has said, "I hate divorce," it gives me pause about such things.

The important thing for me, then, is to discern why God expressed that attitude to the Israelites and what it means for me now.

The major reason was to create a distinctly different culture and worldview for the Israelites. God constantly hammered that He wanted them to be different from the surrounding cultures.

This same concept is reflected into the New Testament in the Sermon on the Mount, Philippeans, 1 Peter, and even into Revelation (that I can think of offhand). God intends to have a "peculiar people."

So if one is contemplating getting a tattoo because everyone else is doing it, that's a yellow flag right there. Does that also include all other forms of personal cosmetics or decoration? Maybe.

What I'd recommend for questions like this is to go to 1 Corinthians 10:

"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. - 1 Corinthians 10

It's no longer a matter of trying to find chaper and verse that says, "This is a sin." That's looking for a law.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. -- Romans 12:2

For us in the Body of Christ, it's a matter of putting on the mind of Christ to determine God's will for you today. Your body is a resource belonging to the Lord; this is a matter of determining whether what you want to do will be a profitable use of the Lord's resource. What's in it for God?

"Lord, is this thing beneficial to me as a Christian, to the Body of Christ, or to your mission for me? Lord, is this thing constructive for me as a Christian, for the Body of Christ, or for your mission for me?"

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Mazzaroth

слон
Mar 23, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVXWBZ5gM4Q http://
✟8,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Homosexuality is condemned in both testaments, so we can't say it only applies to OT Israel.

The point of laws against tattoos and mixed fibers is the cultural uniqueness of Israel. These laws do not apply to us but the principle of separateness is still valid. We are called to be distinct in what we believe and how we act. The boundaries of NT holiness are laid down in texts like Galatians 5: works of the flesh vs. fruits of the spirit.

True enough, but there are plenty of things from the OT law mentioned in the NT too, including that, that people dismiss as no longer relevant. I'm not fishing for a debate here but Jesus didn't really mention anything about it so I choose to have no opinion about those kinds of things. I go by the principle of "better safe than sorry", but you're also not considering that the clothing laws were likely a pollution of the Pharisees' traditions that Jesus rebuked. They were all about the aestheticism of Christianity rather than legitimate spirituality, it would make sense for them to be meticulous about fabric, too.

As for the old laws, I don't mean to digress or anything but I follow the food laws of Leviticus 11, meaning I don't eat pork, shrimp etc. I've said this before but it's something I simply state as a personal lifestyle choice, I keep it out of discussion. I do have well-wrought reasons, though. The reason I believe we're not supposed to eat pork, for example, is because it was mentioned as "unclean" in the OT, and in the NT Jesus cast the demons in Matthew 8 into a herd of pigs that ran off a cliff. I believe it's a statement. If the demons would have asked to be cast into a herd of sheep, I'd imagine Jesus would have said something like "It is not fit to pollute or rob my people of what is rightfully theirs.". The herd of pigs didn't seem to 'belong' to His people, and why would He want us to eat something that He finds fit to be possessed by unclean spirits? I'm just mentioning my reason to help understand where I'm coming from. It's okay if you don't agree, we don't need to discuss it. :p

ANYWAY, the reason the whole "the law doesn't apply" gets on my nerves is because I just get the inkling that it's people's way of saying "we've found a very good excuse to not try our absolute best". I know that's not necessarily the case but that's how I tend to perceive it, those "leisurely Christian" types are worse than unbelievers, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
S

sinning machine

Tatoos are a form of vanity no different to any other vanity !
Psalms 119:37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way. ~ I see all these young men/boys with what looks like demons scribbled all over themselves, I also noticed that they shave their body hair off, I guess hairy demons are not fashionable he he

Upvote 0

PastorTeacher

Nov 3, 2012
Bluffton, Indiana
✟15,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Tatoos are a form of vanity no different to any other vanity !
Psalms 119:37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way. ~ I see all these young men/boys with what looks like demons scribbled all over themselves, I also noticed that they shave their body hair off, I guess hairy demons are not fashionable he he

Vanity eh? So woman who wear makeup and everyone who wears close that match or "up to date" then they are dabbling in vanity. Sound like anything you have done?

Upvote 0
H

Hinton90

Vanity eh? So woman who wear makeup and everyone who wears close that match or "up to date" then they are dabbling in vanity. Sound like anything you have done?

You're really going all out to defend this eh?

I suggest you read what Mazz posted in this topic. Pretty much my thoughts exactly. "Better safe than sorry".

I won't go into a debate since it seems silly to me to even argue over it. If you're just confused about tattoos origins, do some research. Tattoos are a means of rebellion (the opposite of faith), and have just very recently been "accepted" (I use that loosely) as a form of "expression". Is "expression" another word for rebellion? It's very close.

There are A LOT of pagan things we do nowadays that are "accepted" into normal life. Does that mean we should partake? Should you say that "this" is okay just because "this" and "this" are accepted?

Look at the world around you, it's more lawless and rebellious than EVER before, I hope you realize what's going on and rethink your stance.

Paul never said the Law was abolished. Read for yourself

Upvote 0

PastorTeacher

Nov 3, 2012
Bluffton, Indiana
✟15,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You're really going all out to defend this eh?

I suggest you read what Mazz posted in this topic. Pretty much my thoughts exactly. "Better safe than sorry".

I won't go into a debate since it seems silly to me to even argue over it. If you're just confused about tattoos origins, do some research. Tattoos are a means of rebellion (the opposite of faith), and have just very recently been "accepted" (I use that loosely) as a form of "expression". Is "expression" another word for rebellion? It's very close.

There are A LOT of pagan things we do nowadays that are "accepted" into normal life. Does that mean we should partake? Should you say that "this" is okay just because "this" and "this" are accepted?

Look at the world around you, it's more lawless and rebellious than EVER before, I hope you realize what's going on and rethink your stance.

Paul never said the Law was abolished. Read for yourself

No I'm not going all out to defend this. I couls careless what people think of tattoos. What aggravates me is when people disapprove of something so they misuse scripture to support their feelings about a topic. Obviously my assessment is correct. If someone feels tattoos are because of Scripture then they must agree that shaving is wrong as well. If someone thinks that tattoos are vanity then they must admit any change in appearance is vanity ie. bushing hair, makeup, even clothing. What is happening here is people are applying personal feelings here and not Scripture.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
- ask the Holy Spirit what he desires to be scratched onto his temple

or do you only consider your body a temple unto yourself and unto your own will ?
----------------------------------------------

food for the belly and the belly for food

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,914.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
- ask the Holy Spirit what he desires to be scratched onto his temple

or do you only consider your body a temple unto yourself and unto your own will ?
----------------------------------------------

food for the belly and the belly for food

This is my attitude about tattoos also. IMHO getting a tattoo would be the same as spray painting graffiti on a church building. I don't judge anyone for what they do. I just choose to worship God by not defacing His temple which is my body. Different strokes for different folks.

Upvote 0

PastorTeacher

Nov 3, 2012
Bluffton, Indiana
✟15,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Again the same thing can be applied to everything we put on or in our bodies such as junk food caffeine and other things that can destory our bodies. Once again people seem to be trying to justify their beliefs without really thinking about what they do to their bodies. But even churches decorate their walls. Once again splitting hairs and I've spent enough time on this subject. Just ask yourself, what does tattoos have to do with ones salvation.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again the same thing can be applied to everything we put on or in our bodies such as junk food caffeine and other things that can destory our bodies. Once again people seem to be trying to justify their beliefs without really thinking about what they do to their bodies. But even churches decorate their walls. Once again splitting hairs and I've spent enough time on this subject. Just ask yourself, what does tattoos have to do with ones salvation.

if it is in opposition to the Holy Spirits guidance - then it is disobedience .

but you will note i did not say "it is disobedience, as in one size fits all "

I said - if the Holy Spirit is telling you not to .. and then you do - then for you it becomes sin .
some need to be guided harshly - others love him and would not do it -but not for obedience - for love .

I have a tattoo ..from my rebellious days .. but I would never go out and deface this body now .. and you are absolutely right to bring to question .. junk-food and obesity and abusing the temple through unwise consumption .. .. grr-:p :D hahah .

for as you may be offended about some saying tattoos are wrong ...in the same way i feel my flesh writhe and twist uncomfortably against the truth of that point about excess food being abuse of the temple (body ) ... but because i ,now, have that feeling, i am made freshly aware of an area of my life which needs correction= and i accept the truth of that ..i need to now pray and repent and ask God for wisdom to eat more wisely and in a manner that will bring glory to him rather then shame him with my excesses.

I think when someone tells me something i have always felt ok about
is now wrong ..i would get defensive - i would say (in my flesh)- there is nothing wrong with it ,neither God nor my conscience condemn me .

but the Spirit of love would say - but if it offends your brethren -or causes another who is weaker in their sensibilities in that area to be confused or grow weaker in their faith and stumble - then God forbid that i should continue it that thing .
better that i give up my own desires to the betterment of others and edification of others then i continue in something that may cause some young in the faith (little ones ) to stumble .

the thing so often forgotten in modern Christianity is that

it is not about myself - that is the worlds way .
not Christs

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PastorTeacher

Nov 3, 2012
Bluffton, Indiana
✟15,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
if it is in opposition to the Holy Spirits guidance - then it is disobedience .

but you will note i did not say "it is disobedience, as in one size fits all "

I said - if the Holy Spirit is telling you not to .. and then you do - then for you it becomes sin .
some need to be guided harshly - others love him and would not do it -but not for obedience - for love .

I have a tattoo ..from my rebellious days .. but I would never go out and deface this body now .. and you are absolutely right to bring to question .. junk-food and obesity and abusing the temple through unwise consumption .. .. grr-:p :D hahah .

for as you may be offended about some saying tattoos are wrong ...in the same way i feel my flesh writhe and twist uncomfortably against the truth of that point about excess food being abuse of the temple (body ) ... but because i ,now, have that feeling, i am made freshly aware of an area of my life which needs correction= and i accept the truth of that ..i need to now pray and repent and ask God for wisdom to eat more wisely and in a manner that will bring glory to him rather then shame him with my excesses.

I think when someone tells me something i have always felt ok about
is now wrong ..i would get defensive - i would say (in my flesh)- there is nothing wrong with it ,neither God nor my conscience condemn me .

but the Spirit of love would say - but if it offends your brethren -or causes another who is weaker in their sensibilities in that area to be confused or grow weaker in their faith and stumble - then God forbid that i should continue it that thing .
better that i give up my own desires to the betterment of others and edification of others then i continue in something that may cause some young in the faith (little ones ) to stumble .

the thing so often forgotten in modern Christianity is that

it is not about myself - that is the worlds way .
not Christs

I understand where you are coming from. But I still do not see tattoos as a "sin" or something that is against God, nor am I offeneded by what others think. What irks me is how some will sit back and condem tattoos while the are shoving their face full of un-healthy food. I have tattoos and I eat what I like, a double whammy I reckon. :) But I do not think one can say that tattoos are against God. However, anything can be "wrong" or "against God", even prayer (Matt.6:5). Its about ones mentality.

Upvote 0

Makoto47

Jun 4, 2013
✟437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I understand where you are coming from. But I still do not see tattoos as a "sin" or something that is against God, nor am I offeneded by what others think. What irks me is how some will sit back and condem tattoos while the are shoving their face full of un-healthy food. I have tattoos and I eat what I like, a double whammy I reckon. :) But I do not think one can say that tattoos are against God. However, anything can be "wrong" or "against God", even prayer (Matt.6:5). Its about ones mentality.

It seems as though no matter what anyone says or how many scriptures are thrown at you, that you just have a strong bias for tattoos. I can understand that. I used to be that way with things I enjoyed doing that I deep down questioned whether it was right or not, and I still do.
Remember that fad back in the 90' 'What would Jesus do?' (WWJD). Could you imagine Jesus walking around tatted up, or even his disciples? (if tattoos were a thing back then.which im aware they weren't)And I mean after they started following Jesus not before.

You talk about hypocrites who condemn tattoos but consume junkfood and anything else that alters/harms the body, but what if a perfectly healthy, athletic, Godly, and clean person or group condemned tattoos? Would you listen then or would you just do it anyways because it's something you want to do despite what other Christians say or What the Scriptures suggest.

I think one person in here said it best with the analogy of a church being sprayed with graffiti.

Upvote 0

rgleason

Dec 31, 2005
Jacksonville FL
✟8,033.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
It seems as though no matter what anyone says or how many scriptures are thrown at you, that you just have a strong bias for tattoos. I can understand that. I used to be that way with things I enjoyed doing that I deep down questioned whether it was right or not, and I still do.
Remember that fad back in the 90' 'What would Jesus do?' (WWJD). Could you imagine Jesus walking around tatted up, or even his disciples? (if tattoos were a thing back then.which im aware they weren't)And I mean after they started following Jesus not before.

You talk about hypocrites who condemn tattoos but consume junkfood and anything else that alters/harms the body, but what if a perfectly healthy, athletic, Godly, and clean person or group condemned tattoos? Would you listen then or would you just do it anyways because it's something you want to do despite what other Christians say or What the Scriptures suggest.

I think one person in here said it best with the analogy of a church being sprayed with graffiti.

JESUS SPEAKING!
Mark 7:14b-15

“Listen to me, all of you, and understand!

New International Version (©2011)
Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them."
New Living Translation (©2007)
It's not what goes into your body that defiles you; you are defiled by what comes from your heart."

English Standard Version (©2001)
There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.”
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
there is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man.
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
Nothing that goes into a person from outside can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.
International Standard Version (©2012)
Nothing that goes into a person from the outside can make him unclean. It's what comes out of a person that makes a person unclean.
NET Bible (©2006)
There is nothing outside of a person that can defile him by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles him."
Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
“There is nothing outside of a man that enters into him that can defile him, but the thing that proceeds from him, that is what defiles the man.”
God"s Word(©1995)
Nothing that goes into a person from the outside can make him unclean. It's what comes out of a person that makes him unclean.
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
There is nothing from outside a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
American King James Version
There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
American Standard Version
There is nothing from without the man, that going into him can defile him; but the things which proceed out of the man are those that defile the man.
Douay-Rheims Bible
There is nothing from without a man that entering into him, can defile him. But the things which come from a man, those are they that defile a man.
Darby Bible Translation
There is nothing from outside a man entering into him which can defile him; but the things which go out from him, those it is which defile the man.
English Revised Version
there is nothing from without the man, that going into him can defile him: but the things which proceed out of the man are those that defile the man.
Webster's Bible Translation
There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him, can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
Weymouth New Testament
There is nothing outside a man which entering him can make him unclean; but it is the things which come out of a man that make him unclean." World English Bible
There is nothing from outside of the man, that going into him can defile him; but the things which proceed out of the man are those that defile the man.

Upvote 0

Makoto47

Jun 4, 2013
✟437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
JESUS SPEAKING!
Mark 7:14b-15

“Listen to me, all of you, and understand!

New International Version (©2011)
Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them."
New Living Translation (©2007)
It's not what goes into your body that defiles you; you are defiled by what comes from your heart."

English Standard Version (©2001)
There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.”
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
there is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man.
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
Nothing that goes into a person from outside can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.
International Standard Version (©2012)
Nothing that goes into a person from the outside can make him unclean. It's what comes out of a person that makes a person unclean.
NET Bible (©2006)
There is nothing outside of a person that can defile him by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles him."
Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
“There is nothing outside of a man that enters into him that can defile him, but the thing that proceeds from him, that is what defiles the man.”
God"s Word(©1995)
Nothing that goes into a person from the outside can make him unclean. It's what comes out of a person that makes him unclean.
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
There is nothing from outside a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
American King James Version
American Standard Version
There is nothing from without the man, that going into him can defile him; but the things which proceed out of the man are those that defile the man.
Douay-Rheims Bible
There is nothing from without a man that entering into him, can defile him. But the things which come from a man, those are they that defile a man.
Darby Bible Translation
There is nothing from outside a man entering into him which can defile him; but the things which go out from him, those it is which defile the man.
English Revised Version
there is nothing from without the man, that going into him can defile him: but the things which proceed out of the man are those that defile the man.
Webster's Bible Translation
There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him, can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
Weymouth New Testament
There is nothing outside a man which entering him can make him unclean; but it is the things which come out of a man that make him unclean." World English Bible
There is nothing from outside of the man, that going into him can defile him; but the things which proceed out of the man are those that defile the man.

I'm sure that that verse is talking about food, such as pork, and things that were perceived as unclean to eat. That has nothing to do with tattoos or markings on the body.

Read Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Makoto47 said:
Read Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD

Why do you anti-tattoo folks continuously quote that verse, but conveniently ignore the other prohibitions in that chapter?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Makoto47

Jun 4, 2013
✟437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why do you anti-tattoo folks continuously quote that verse, but conveniently ignore the other prohibitions in that chapter?

You assume that I ignore everything else, while in reality it seems that some of the pro tattoo debaters are the ones who are ignoring any verses. I guess you're mostly talking about Leviticus 19:27. If you look at the history of that time rounding/shaving your head in a certain fashion had a idolatrous meaning to it. It was like giving praise to false gods and comes from other cultures. It's not like we''re supposed go uncut or unshaven. The new Testament even says that it is a shame for a man to have long hair.

Even still Lev 19:28 sounds pretty clear to me. Why are you worried about what everyone else is doing/ignoring. Shouldn't you be focused on trying to be righteous yourself. If you see the scripture as I do why not just obey?

Upvote 0
A

Ascendo

You assume that I ignore everything else, while in reality it seems that some of the pro tattoo debaters are the ones who are ignoring any verses. I guess you're mostly talking about Leviticus 19:27. If you look at the history of that time rounding/shaving your head in a certain fashion had a idolatrous meaning to it. It was like giving praise to false gods and comes from other cultures. It's not like we''re supposed go uncut or unshaven. The new Testament even says that it is a shame for a man to have long hair.

Even still Lev 19:28 sounds pretty clear to me. Why are you worried about what everyone else is doing/ignoring. Shouldn't you be focused on trying to be righteous yourself. If you see the scripture as I do why not just obey?

You'll accept cultural context in regards to shaving, but not tattoos?

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You'll accept cultural context in regards to shaving, but not tattoos?

:thumbsup: You beat me to it!

Makato47, do you ensure you don't wear clothes of mixed fiber?

Do you believe that we should put adulterers to death?

Do you eat shellfish?

Is it OK to eat a steak rare or medium rare?

Do you eat pork?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cavell

Senior Veteran
Jan 14, 2006
Yorkshire, England
✟34,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
The O.P. educated me about things I did not know.

From where I sit, I wonder what 'tatoo'/piercing....this is all about.

Are folks are trying to make a statement?.......To say something about themselves?

The human body is so beautiful male/female.....we were made for each other.....and it is good. So beautiful.

It cannot be improved. Such a joy....."male and female created He them".

In the 'image of God' the bible says. Whatever that means does not matter other than to note.....it means ....'good'

God loves us all without distinction......

I recall "Jezebel painted her face" in that/her day. Did it mean she was anti-God....as exibited in her lifestyle.

All need to "meet Jesus" and all are welcomed/invited to meet Him.

Upvote 0

Makoto47

Jun 4, 2013
✟437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup: You beat me to it!

Did you purposely ignore what It said about it being a shame for a man to have long hair?

Are you saying that grooming yourself and keeping your hair short is the same as rounding /shaving off the sides to give praise to false idols?

It all seems like common sense to me, but that's just me I guess. Decades ago this wasnt nearly as big of a debate as it is today, but now with society as it is, it seems like pop fashion and conformity rules. You're going to defend and justify it no matter what because it's something that pleases you personally. Tattoos don't particularly bother me (as long as it's an adult wearing it) but it looks clear to me that GOD doesn't approve.

Upvote 0