Dire Dawa
✟100.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is there really a "true" way to pray? I feel as if it is different for everyone. For example, when I pray I feel more connected with God when I close my eyes and look up at the sky as opposed to downward. Some may view this as an act of defiance, though my only intention is to feel closer to God. Opinions? How do you pray? Please share :D

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there really a "true" way to pray? I feel as if it is different for everyone. For example, when I pray I feel more connected with God when I close my eyes and look up at the sky as opposed to downward. Some may view this as an act of defiance, though my only intention is to feel closer to God. Opinions? How do you pray? Please share :D
Big question with many answers. How do you talk to your friends? Jesus said, I no longer call you servants but friends. How does a bride talk to a groom? We are called the bride of Christ. How does a son talk to a father? We are his children. When Adam and Eve lived in paradise before the fall, how did they talk to God? There was no sin, no one needed to be saved, all their needs were met, and there was no evil. Prayer is conversation with God. Of course there is intercession, and petitions, and worshipful prayer. Likewise prayers with unbelief are useless, and we have prayers of authority, specifically in commanding demons and in healings. I would only be concerned with closing the eyes while praying when you are driving a car. Otherwise we are told to pray without ceasing.

Upvote 0

singpraise

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟18,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The attitude of your heart in prayer is much more important than the position of your body. Whatever works best for you, as long as you're praying, is fine. Unless, as AlexDTX pointed out, you're driving, then by all means please keep your eyes open. ;)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Eyes open, eyes closed, standing, sitting, kneeling, prostrate, hands raised, hands clasped ... whatever.

The attitude of the heart is what is important. Some people find benefit in a particular posture, sometimes that changes with time. One can pray five different ways in the same day and find benefit in each different posture.

If one is looking to be more humbled, to deal with distraction, to focus the mind, or a number of other things, there are things like this that can help. But they are merely devices, tools. None of them are requirements. There is no one way we "should" pray, except "focused on God".

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there really a "true" way to pray?
As others have indicated: "no."
I feel as if it is different for everyone. For example, when I pray I feel more connected with God when I close my eyes and look up at the sky as opposed to downward.
Then that is how you should pray. :)
Some may view this as an act of defiance, though my only intention is to feel closer to God. Opinions? How do you pray? Please share :D
If you are praying when other people can see you, then pray in an "orderly and fitting" way so others will not be troubled by your prayer. If you are praying alone, then God sees your heart and the only thing you need to be concerned about is the morality of it to you and whether you have a guilty conscience about it or not. However: don't be concerned. Just pray with reverence or respect in your heart. But even that may be secondary to what is important if you are angry with God. What is important is to pray in the truth, the more difficult aspect of which is accepting the truth about yourself.

Personally, prayer for me is much different, in a positive way, when I'm on my knees and bowed down (eyes closed! I find the physical realm distracting).

An old formula for prayer (for any interested) is "ACTS":
  1. Adoration (worship, praise)
  2. Contrition (confessing sins, repentance)
  3. Thanksgiving (I find it impossible to ask God for something without thanking him for something first.)
  4. Supplication (humbly ask God for what you need and want)

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Sheep4Christ

Hell:A place where I don't want to go.
Nov 28, 2016
Ga
✟25,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi.Well when I pray at home I usually kneel down with my eyes closed but if I'm really troubled or depressed about something I stretch out flat on my face and cry out to the Lord in tears. When I'm at church I sometimes pray standing with my eyes closed and arms extended with palms upwards.Or I kneel facing my pew.

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0