Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am curious what verses Arminians (both Wesleyan and Classical) use to defend their soteriological views.

I've tried looking this up on other sites, but the overwhelming majority seem to have a Calvinist bent, so I thought I'd ask here.

Particularly, what verses are cited as evidence for conditional election and how would you refute unconditional election?

What about resistible grace?

What about the doctrine of Holiness (a believer can eventually arrive at a state where he no longer sins while still alive ). I know it probably isn't that popular among Arminians, but those who do believe it, why?

What led you to Arminianism as opposed to Calvinism or Molinism?

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am curious what verses Arminians (both Wesleyan and Classical) use to defend their soteriological views. ...
What I am curious about is why anyone is a staunch adherent to any human's beliefs.

Take the time to get to know your Savior and he will eventually give you satisfaction for every one of your questions.

Anyone that wants to understand the minimum they can do and still be saved: beware. We are commanded to be devoted to Jesus and loving the Lord is a sign of being saved.

• Agree
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
very few would admit they are arminian or embrace that word, they would rather insist discussing about freewill & God reacting/dependent on man's response, that the unregenerate is able to choose God or good and evil, or that the christian-can-fall-away. in other words they like to contrast with the reformed/calvinistic tenets but never admit they are arminian..just evangelical.

Upvote 0

kangaroodort

Jan 8, 2016
NH
✟10,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am curious what verses Arminians (both Wesleyan and Classical) use to defend their soteriological views.

I've tried looking this up on other sites, but the overwhelming majority seem to have a Calvinist bent, so I thought I'd ask here.

Particularly, what verses are cited as evidence for conditional election and how would you refute unconditional election?

What about the doctrine of Holiness (a believer can eventually arrive at a state where he no longer sins while still alive ). I know it probably isn't that popular among Arminians, but those who do believe it, why?

I don't have time to respond specifically to your OP (esp. since it would require a rather lengthy and detailed response), but if you want to see a lot of posts and articles and hundreds of interactions with Calvinists on these subjects, you can reference my site: https://arminianperspectives.wordpress.com/

Reactions: Jesus First
Upvote 0

kangaroodort

Jan 8, 2016
NH
✟10,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I also recommend the Society of Evangelical Arminians (SEA). They also have a FB outreach page where people who are curious can ask such questions and get answers from Arminians. Here is a link to their website: http://evangelicalarminians.org/

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I do not like “titles” and just talk about beliefs. I do not believe any of the TULIP theology, but also do not embrace the Arminian counter argument.

I would use Christ’s parables about the kingdom like: The “Banquet” parables which show some being invited and refusing the invitation and no one being kidnapped into going to the banquet, the Different Soil parable which Jesus explains, the prodigal son in a dead state (by Jesus’ words) coming to his senses and turning to the father, and Paul’s example Gal. 6: 7-9 where Paul specifically talks about Christians giving up their harvest of eternal life.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Will our theological stand decide our salvation?
Heh, good question. No, it won't. It depends on what your heart is toward the Lord.

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:10, 1984 NIV)

(Btw, mute people are just as easily saved as the next person.)
A little off topic, so I'll be brief: Scripture teaches that both predestination and freewill are true at the same time. When you accept that, your searching for understanding will head off in the right direction. Trying to emphasize one or the other (perhaps by accepting one then trying to explain the other) will slow down getting the answer you seek or leave you confident something incorrect is true.

Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Heh, good question. No, it won't. It depends on what your heart is toward the Lord.

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:10, 1984 NIV)

(Btw, mute people are just as easily saved as the next person.)

A little off topic, so I'll be brief: Scripture teaches that both predestination and freewill are true at the same time. When you accept that, your searching for understanding will head off in the right direction. Trying to emphasize one or the other (perhaps by accepting one then trying to explain the other) will slow down getting the answer you seek or leave you confident something incorrect is true.

I agree with this.

I've thoroughly explored both Calvinism and Arminianism and find myself agreeing with aspects of both. Like you said, both tend to over emphasize free will or predestination and downplay the other.

I identified as a Calvinist for a short time, but I am familiar enough with both sides to point out misrepresentations and clarify misunderstandings on both sides.

Now, I'm not sure which is right, and I no longer care. Both are human systems that put God in a box and it is something that is left to be a mystery. By trying to figure out exactly how salvation works by creating intricate systems is playing God and is not our role in the Faith.

Now, I see nothing wrong with Calvinism and Arminianism as personally held beliefs, I just think denomination should not divide over these things and should not officially promote either view.

For example, I believe in eternal security, total depravity, and Amyraldian election, so I lean Calvinist, but I don't want to be labeled as one and I don't demand that my denomination or congregation teach them. I don't know how predestination and human free will are compatible, they just are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I do not like “titles” and just talk about beliefs. I do not believe any of the TULIP theology, but also do not embrace the Arminian counter argument..

You have it backwards. Historically, Calvinism is the counter argument, as the 5 points of Arminianism were first.

As in, Arminianism as a new idea was presented to the church. A giant council (synod of Dordt) was gathered and the issue was debated for months.

The verdict was that the 5 points of Arminianism were one by one rejected, and statement were issued, affirmations of doctrine which came to be known as the 5 points of Calvinism

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

seems like arminians will invent anything to flee from unconditional election and irresisable grace. bible does show all men dont want things from God

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
seems like arminians will invent anything to flee from unconditional election and irresisable grace. bible does show all men dont want things from God
No some accept the invitation to go to the banquet and others refuse the invitation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this.

I've thoroughly explored both Calvinism and Arminianism and find myself agreeing with aspects of both. Like you said, both tend to over emphasize free will or predestination and downplay the other.

I identified as a Calvinist for a short time, but I am familiar enough with both sides to point out misrepresentations and clarify misunderstandings on both sides.

Now, I'm not sure which is right, and I no longer care. Both are human systems that put God in a box and it is something that is left to be a mystery. By trying to figure out exactly how salvation works by creating intricate systems is playing God and is not our role in the Faith.

Now, I see nothing wrong with Calvinism and Arminianism as personally held beliefs, I just think denomination should not divide over these things and should not officially promote either view.

For example, I believe in eternal security, total depravity, and Amyraldian election, so I lean Calvinist, but I don't want to be labeled as one and I don't demand that my denomination or congregation teach them. I don't know how predestination and human free will are compatible, they just are.

In my opinion, predestination and election are given way too much credit and time in the discussion.

Predestination is not really all that important in Calvinism, but that's the thing everyone always talks about (and attacks). Predestination is an after-thought. It is a secondary issue. It is a byproduct of the real issue.

In Calvinism, in my opinion, the most important doctrine, and dividing line, is monergistic regeneration.

Regeneration is the most important thing in Calvinism that makes it differ from non-Calvinistic views of soteriology. I always try to swing the conversation in that direction, because it's the most important thing to understand. Once you accept monergism, the rest of the difficult doctrines fall into place because they make sense.

Trying to prove the other reformed doctrines without a reference to monergism is difficult and pointless.

• Agree
Reactions: TaylorSexton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Are you not aware of the Society of Evangelical Arminians? They have lots of soteriological articles on their website?

See also, 'Calvinism critiqued by a former Calvinist', Steve Jones.

I have written a brief article, Is prevenient grace still amazing grace?

Oz

Upvote 0