✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Ability To Stop Sinning Powered By the Spirit

One of the major deceptions present in this time is that you can continue sinning and that somehow God will forgive you each time. I hear it time and time again, we are fallen, thats why we sin, and there is grace for that. Whilest this is true, you have to rightly divide scripture to understand what this really means. First and foremost, before jumping into the ability to stop sinning, I must first discuss what the power of the spirit really does. Throughout scripture we see evidence that receiving the spirit is not just some sort of figurative event that occurs, as most perceive it to be, it happens with real physical manifestations of having received it. In one occurence we see written,

And [*3*shall spring *4*upon *5*you *1*spirit *2*of the LORD], and you shall prophesy with them, and you shall turn into [*2*man *1*another]. (I Samuel 10:6 [ABP])

This scripture was talking about Saul. Notice how the scripture says, and "you shall turn into another man". It's talking about an inward mental change, a literal change and rewiring of your mind to become someone else. How did this happen? As a consequence of the spirit springing upon him. The mental change is literally a possession of the mind, but not by an evil force, but by the spirit of God. And what also happened? He began prophesying... this was an outward sign. It was so evident what had just happened that look further at what is written,

And came to pass all the things being made known to him yesterday and the third day before. And behold, he was in the midst of the prophets prophesying. And [*4*said *1*the *2*people *3*each] to his neighbor, What is this, the thing having happened to the son of Kish? Or is also Saul among the prophets? (I Samuel 10:11 [ABP])

They were pretty much saying, in a more clear way of saying, "what the crap happened here, is the Saul, the son of Kish, now a prophet?". They were in shock.

In further reading, we have a prophecy in Ezekiel stating how God would cause his people to follow him and keep his commandments,

[26] And I will put in you [*2*heart *1*a new], and [*3*spirit *2*a new *1*I will put] in you, and I will remove the [*2*heart *1*stone] from your flesh, and I will give to you a heart of flesh. [27] And [*2*my spirit *1*I will put] in you, and I shall make it that [*2*by *3*my ordinances *1*you shall go], and [*2*my judgments *1*you shall keep], and you shall observe them.
(Ezekiel 36:26-27 [ABP])

The first thing to note here is God putting a new heart in you. Heart is synonymous with the mind, but more specifically where the desires are. We see another usage here of the word "heart",

May he grant you your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans! (Psalm 20:4)

The heart is also where desires and intentions lie, as is the usage in many other passages. So what does he also do? He puts in a NEW SPIRIT in you. And what else? A NEW HEART, MEANING a NEW MIND and NEW DESIRES. It is also indicating that it will be dipensed differently than it was before, yet even in the way it was dispensed before, we saw indications of how powerful it was to CHANGE THE MIND of a person. What will this NEW SPIRIT cause a man to do? It will cause him to "go by my ordinances and you shall keep my judgments, and you shall observe them." Meaning YOU WILL OBEY GOD. Why is it different now than before? Because of the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST has now been shed, and so now this NEW SPIRIT operates on the power of THAT BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST, CAUSING you to change YOUR MIND AND DESIRES, whereas before it didn't, because the blood of the true lamb of God hadn't been shed yet. In a different translation, the ESV, we read, "cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." Here God is saying, I will FORCE you to obey my commandments as a consequence of putting my spirit in you. This prophecy is now fulfilled in these days by the outpouring of the holy spirit as a result of the shedding of the blood of the true lamb of God. The NEW spirit now is in fact the ability to not sin no more. Why? Because the blood of Jesus has now been poured. His blood is so powerful that now, through the Spirit, is it able to even cause the heart of a man (mind and desires) to change, whereas before, the blood of animals was never able to change the heart (mind and desires), as it is written,

For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and of he-goats to remove sins. (Hebrews 10:4 [ABP])

This is why it is a NEW SPIRIT, since it NOW CAUSES YOU TO CHANGE YOUR MIND AND DESIRES, and how it coincides with God saying, "I will give you a new heart of flesh". In this passage we also read, "I will remove the [*2*heart *1*stone]", what exactly does this mean? It means it will remove your OLD mind WHICH has EVIL DESIRES (This is where Paul talks about the fleshly nature), and give you a NEW HEART, that DESIRES TO OBEY GOD AND CAUSES YOU TO KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS (This is now the NEW Spirit nature that is imparted unto us by God).

It is in fact, so powerful to cause a man to now stop sinning and change his desires, that we also read,

Anyone engendered of God, [*3*sin *1*does not *2*commit], for his seed [*2*in *3*him *1*abides]; and he is not able to sin, because [*2*by *3*God *1*he has been engendered]. (I John 3:9 [ABP])

Why is he also not able to sin anymore? Because his desires have been changed by being possessed by God. This is one scripture that elludes many, because they don't understand how it is possible to stop sinning. They think they have received the Spirit figuratively, and while they are still aware of their own sinful desires, they cant comprehend how one can stop sinning while having this "figurative" spirit. It is not just a figurative thing, it is literal, and it comes with outward manifestations of it. Its ONLY possible by receiving this Spirit that you can stop sinning, that posseses you and FORCES you to follow after God, and changes your desires. Being born of God is receiving this Spirit. Going further, Paul says that it is impossible for us to stop sinning, which is true because we are STILL IN OUR FALLEN NATURE, it is only possible by the Spirit that could CAUSE US TO OBEY HIM, FORCING us to follow after God. Its not anything in our own nature, because our minds are fleshly and our desires are evil, but because of God PUTTING his SPIRIT in YOU and causing you to follow after him. If you could indeed keep sinning while having the Spirit, you would be breaking scripture that says that you cannot sin when being born of God. Jesus even says,

You shall be then yourselves perfect, as your father, the one in the heavens is perfect. (Matthew 5:48 [ABP])

How can anyone be perfect and why would Jesus demand such a seemingly impossible thing? Its because perfection, that is, inward perfection, is imparted by the SPIRIT. Jesus also told the woman after he forgave her sins,

And she said, No one, O Lord. [*3*said *1*And *4*to her *2*Jesus], Nor I condemn you; go and from now [*2*no more *1*sin]! (John 8:11 [ABP])

In Romans Paul goes on to eloquently explain this fallen nature that is in us BEFORE having the Spirit,

[15] For what I manufacture, I do not know; for not what I want to do, this I practice; and what I detest, this I do. [16] But if what I do not want to do, this I do, then I assent to the law that it is good. [17] But now, no longer I manufacture it, but it is [*2*living *3*in *4*me *1*the sin]. [18] For I know that there does not live in me (that is to say in my flesh) good. For the will is present with me, but the manufacturing the good I do not find. [19] [*3*not do *1*For *5*which *6*I want to do *2*I do *4*the good], but [*2*which *3*I do not *4*want to do *1*the evil], this I do. [20] But if what [*2*do not *3*want to do *1*I], this I do; no longer I manufacture it, but it is [*2*living *3*in *4*me *1*sin]. [21] I find then the law, in the one wanting in me to do the good, that with me the evil is present. [22] For I delight in the law of God according to the inside man. [23] But I see another law in my members, undertaking an expedition against the law of my mind, and captivating me to the law of the sin, to the one being in my members. [24] O miserable man am I. Who shall rescue me from [*2*body *3*of death *1*this]?
(Romans 7:15-24 [ABP])

We are born in sin even before we commit any sins, this is our fallen nature, that nature of our minds, and nothing that is within us is able to follow after God. As it is even written,

[*2*were separated *1*Sinners] from the womb; they wander from the belly; they spoke lies. (Psalms 58:3 [ABP])

Notice how they were called sinners even from the womb, before they were even able to commit sins. Its imputed on us already before birth. Paul even says,

for all sinned and lack the glory of God; (Romans 3:23 [ABP])

Even in 1 John we read,

If we should say that [*2*sin *1*we do not have], we mislead ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (I John 1:8 [ABP])

This doesn't mean that we continue to sin, because in the verses before, it said no one that is born of God sins. What it means is that WE HAVE ALL SINNED IN THE PAST. Only Jesus Christ did not sin, EVER. So what does Paul go on to say after explaining this very evil nature that has befallen all of man, including himself, which is why he calls himself "wretched man"? He says,

[1] In nothing then is there now condemnation to the ones in Christ Jesus, not [*2*according to *3*the flesh *1*walking], but according to spirit. [2] For the law of the spirit of the life in Christ Jesus freed me from the law of the sin and of death.
(Romans 8:1-2 [ABP])

Did you catch that? The ones in Christ Jesus, "not walking according to the flesh, but according to the spirit", or more clearly explained, NOT WALKING ACCORDING TO THE FLESH ANYMORE, BUT NOW PRESENTLY WALKING ACCORDING TO THE SPIRIT. What this really means is this, at one point I did walk in the flesh, but now I walk in the Spirit. How? By HAVING THE SPIRIT. You can't BOTH walk in the flesh AND in the Spirit. You can only WALK in one OR the other. And also meaning, BEFORE I HAD THE FLESHLY NATURE, but NOW that I have the SPIRIT, I have been FREED FROM THE FLESHLY NATURE. Look what Paul then says, "the law of the spirit of the life in Christ Jesus freed me". Paul is in fact affirming that he has now been freed from sin and from his very fleshly nature. BECAUSE OF THE SPIRIT. He affirms this again,

that the ordinance of the law should be fulfilled in us, to the ones not [*2*according to *3*flesh *1*walking], but according to spirit. (Romans 8:4 [ABP])

He is in fact affirming that HE IS NOT WALKING AFTER THE FLESH ANYMORE, BUT NOW PRESENTLY ONLY WALKING AFTER THE SPIRIT. Again, Paul makes ANOTHER affirmation about this,

But you are not in flesh, but in spirit, if indeed spirit of God lives in you. But if anyone [*3*spirit *4*of Christ *1*does not *2*have], this one is not of him. (Romans 8:9 [ABP])

Again, YOU ARE NOT IN FLESH ANYMORE, BUT NOW IN SPIRIT......... and what does he say after???? if INDEED THE SPIRIT OF GOD LIVES IN YOU. You can only be SET FREE by your sinful nature and desires AND NOT WALK IN THE FLESH ANYMORE ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE SPIRIT OF GOD IN YOU. How much more clear can Paul be? Yet many still misunderstand out of ignorance and justify their own continuance of committing sins. They falsely think you can walk in the flesh and in the spirit at the same time. Not according to Paul. Paul further says,

For as many as [*2*in spirit *3*of God *1*are led], these are sons of God. (Romans 8:14 [ABP])

Whoever has received the spirit of God IS a son of God, being BORN OF GOD, who can no longer sin. This coincides with other previous scriptures.

So what about grace, or rather, favor? I prefer the use of the word favor because it more accurately conveys in English what is meant by the word, "what it really means is he chooses to show mercy and compassion, we don't deserve it, he doesn't really have to do it, he just merely shows it because he chooses to show it." God does whatever he pleases. This is his creation and his work, and we are creatures made by him. He does whatever he wants with us. The favor of God is bestowed upon us in that WHILE BEING IN OUR FALLEN NATURE NOT DESERVING HIS MERCY, HE STILL CHOSE TO BE MERCIFUL WITH US, FORGIVE OUR PREVIOUS SIN, AND BESTOW UPON US THE GIFT OF HIS SPIRIT, TO BE SONS OF THE LIVING GOD EMPOWERED TO STOP SINNING. THIS IS WHERE THE FAVOR OF GOD IS. As Paul even says,

So then it is not of the one wanting, nor of the one running, but of the showing mercy of God. (Romans 9:16 [ABP])

And he also says,

For to Moses he says, I will show mercy on whom ever I should show mercy, and I shall pity whom ever I should pity. (Romans 9:15 [ABP])

Therefore it is God who shows the mercy, to WHOEVER HE PLEASES. It is nothing that we have done, it is merely his favor, and in fact, HIS CHOOSING that you then also receive HIS SPIRIT.

Moving on to a different topic related to this, some might say, well wasn't Peter sinning in reference to the circumcision when Paul confronted him? The answer is no. It was because Peter was acting on his portion of faith, or rather belief. Everyone has a different portion of belief, some greater than others.

For I say by the favor being given to me, to every one being among you, to not be high-minded above what you must think; but to think to be of a sound mind; to each as God portioned a measure of belief. (Romans 12:3 [ABP])

Here it is, God has appointed each to have a measure of belief. In this matter Peter's belief was lesser in this matter, yet he did not commit sin, because he acted in his own portion of belief. Just because the spirit has been imparted on you doesn't mean you all of a sudden have all knowledge of everything. It just means that you are now able to be clear of evil desires inwardly and walk after God in a straight path. This is something God wants, to not reveal everything to us just yet, and to each person reveal different things, mainly that we should remain humble in the present time. Paul even writes,

But grow in the favor and knowledge of our Lord and deliverer Jesus Christ! To him be the glory both now and into the day of the eon. Amen. (II Peter 3:18 [ABP])

GROW in KNOWLEDGE is what Paul says. What need would there to GROW IN KNOWLEDGE if the Spirit imparted FULL knowledge of everything? So no, it doesnt impart full knowledge.

The humility of believers in the present time is what God desires, this is evident in that even in Paul himself KNOWING SO MUCH, God even kept him humble by giving thim a thorn in the flesh to keep him humble.

And [*4*over the *5*excess *6*of the *7*revelations *1*so that *2*I should not *3*be elevated], there was given to me a barb in the flesh, a messenger of Satan, that he should buffet me, that I should not be elevated. (II Corinthians 12:7 [ABP])

So back to my original point, Peter in no way was sinning, he was merely acting on his portion of belief and knowledge he had.

Going further, there is a passage in 1 Timothy concerning those who still sin in the church,

[19] [*5*against *6*an elder *4*a charge *1*Do not *2*welcome *3*from outside], unless by two or three witnesses! [20] The ones sinning [*2*before *3*all *1*reprove], that also the rest [*2*fear *1*should have]!
(I Timothy 5:19-20 [ABP])

This scripture is not talking about believers that have THE SPIRIT, its talking about NEW believers that come into the church that don't yet have the spirit, who can still sin, WHETHER YOUNGER OR OLDER (Elder). What does it say? If they should sin, reprove them, or in other ways, rebuke them, so that everyone else might be afraid. And if they ARE OLDER, entertain an accusation in the witness of two or three, meaning don't just believe that someone older is sinning by the word of one, but have multiple witnesses concerning it. Older men have a special significance in scripture, and to Paul, are worthy of double honor,

Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. (1 Timothy 5:17)

And also, jumping to another scripture, we have an example of the seriousness of HAVING THE SPIRIT,

[4] For it is impossible of the ones once enlightened, having tasted also of the [*2*gift *1*heavenly], and [*2*partakers *1*becoming *4*spirit *3*of holy], [5] and [*2*the good *1*having tasted *4*of God *3*word], and of powers [*2*about to be *1*of the eon], [6] and having fallen, again to renew to repentance; crucifying again to themselves the son of God, and making an example of him.
(Hebrews 6:4-6 [ABP])

It's impossible that ONCE YOU HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT, THAT IF YOU WERE TO LOSE IT, TO EVER GET IT BACK. Paul indicates the seriousness of this. Is it even possible to lose the Holy Spirit? No, because you are SEALED when you receive it, therefore losing it is impossible, because as scripture says, those who are born of God cannot sin. Paul even makes mention of being sealed by the Spirit,

In whom also you, having heard the word of the truth the good news of your deliverance -- in whom also having trusted, you were sealed by the spirit of the promise in the holy; (Ephesians 1:13 [ABP])

The gift of it is so powerful that Paul even states if in having it the scenario arose that you did fall away, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for you to ever get come to repentance. It is an EXTREMELY SERIOUS THING, AND IT IS ALSO IMPOSSIBLE FOR IT TO HAPPEN. It's almost like saying, if Jesus had sinned, it would be impossible for him to come back in favor with God. The whole scenario is just impossible to begin with.

Jumping on, it is necessary to jump unto another subject. What of temptation? We have the following scripture referencing temptation,

But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. (James 1:14)

Does this mean everyone that has ever been tempted was done so because they had an evil desire? No. Look at Jesus, he himself was also tempted 3 times. And he had no sin nor evil desires. There are two types of temptations, one of which you are tempted when you have an evil desire, and then another when you are tempted already having the Spirit, to TEST YOU. The temptation of ones having the Spirit is necessary TO TEST to fulfill scripture, and just as Jesus was tempted, so are his flock. As Paul even says,

A test [*3*you *1*has not *2*taken] except what belongs to a human; [*3*is trustworthy *1*but *2*God], who will not allow you to be tested above what you are able; but will make with the test also the way out, [*2*to be able *1*for you] to endure. (I Corinthians 10:13 [ABP])

God makes it so that those that have the Spirit will ENDURE the testing, that is, the temptation, just as Jesus endured the TESTING. Again, this coincides with scripture, he who has the Spirit cannot sin. They are indeed tested, but they endure.

Going back to the outward manifestations of having the spirit, here are a few other occurences in newer times after the death of Jesus Christ,

And they were filled all together [*2*spirit *1*of holy], and they began to speak with other languages, as the spirit gave to them to be declared. (Acts 2:4 [ABP])

And also,

And [*2*having put *4*upon *5*them *1*Paul *3*hands], [*4*came *1*the *3*spirit *2*holy] upon them, both speaking languages and prophesying. (Acts 19:6 [ABP])

But you shall receive power [*4*coming *1*of the *2*holy *3*spirit] upon you. And you will be to me witnesses in both Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and unto the end of the earth. (Acts 1:8 [ABP])

Notice that this scripture says POWER. It is real POWER. Paul warned of a time when men would deny the POWER of the holy spirit,

having the appearance of piety, but [*2*its power *1*denying]. Even these turn away from! (II Timothy 3:5 [ABP])

Whos power? The Spirit's power.

Finally, concluding this subject, it is pretty evident what the power of the Spirit does. It changes your mind literally to cause you not to sin anymore. It also comes with outward physical manifestations when you receive it. I can dig deeper on this topic, but I felt it necessary to cover the most essential part of having the Spirit, and it is not the outer miracles and signs that are evident when you receive it, but rather, causing you to stop sinning by removing your fleshly inner nature, which OPERATES NOW UNDER THE BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST.

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sinless perfectionism is real! The second we physically die and are taken into the presence of the Lord we are then sinless and perfected.

The notion that somehow our innately sinful flesh can somehow become sinless in this life, however, is blatantly unscriptural, and is frankly a ridiculous notion. It is essential legalism, first in that it equates sinfulness with sinful acts, and secondly that it defines down the law until is is a mere whisp and a vapor of itself, a poor, safe and keepable law.

This warped theology is a theology of glory, a clear confusion of law and gospel.

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Sinless perfectionism is real! The second we physically die and are taken into the presence of the Lord we are then sinless and perfected.

The notion that somehow our innately sinful flesh can somehow become sinless in this life, however, is blatantly unscriptural, and is frankly a ridiculous notion. It is essential legalism, first in that it equates sinfulness with sinful acts, and secondly that it defines down the law until is is a mere whisp and a vapor of itself, a poor, safe and keepable law.

This warped theology is a theology of glory, a clear confusion of law and gospel.

I just proved that it is scriptural. Reread it again. And if you wish to refute what II am saying, I'd suggest you use only scriptures and not your own logic. I've provided many scriptures backing up what I am saying.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's a fool's errand. I could spend a great deal of time outlining the scriptural doctrine of simul iustus it peccator but you would only deny it and attempt to refute it. Better to just shake the dust off and move on.

Upvote 0