Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I logged off 3 times and each time I viewed the thread it showed 143 views.
What can I say? It's 445 am and had nothing else to do. :cool:
You're just intent on proving me a lair aren't you U. ;)

I don't know what to say either, that's the way it's always worked before. Maybe the last time they did a system upgrade or maintence they changed it? Samething as when at one time we could see who was logged into the thread at the top of the page. Then they took that away and for a while you could never see who was currently in the thread. I come back as a regular here in November and wha-la, there is that function again. But gee-wiz, I didn't come here to this thread to mock or prove someone wrong so that I could glory in it. And I had no one in particular in mind when I posted the video.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I logged off 3 times and each time I viewed the thread it showed 143 views.
What can I say? It's 445 am and had nothing else to do. :cool:

Well now I'm confused. I just went 4 pages back and viewed a thread I know I never was in before. It had 40 views and no replies, when I left the thread it was still at 40 views. So I logged off, restarted my pc, and then went back to the thread and it was still at 40 views. Being that I was never in the thread before it should've changed to 41 views. :scratch: Maybe there's a timer on this?

Edit to say that I do believe there is somekind of timer on it. I just went back to that thread, 4 pages back, and the counter is now reading 43. Actually I did view it 3 different times. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well now I'm confused. I just went 4 pages back and viewed a thread I know I never was in before. It had 40 views and no replies, when I left the thread it was still at 40 views. So I logged off, restarted my pc, and then went back to the thread and it was still at 40 views. Being that I was never in the thread before it should've changed to 41 views. :scratch: Maybe there's a timer on this?

Edit to say that I do believe there is somekind of timer on it. I just went back to that thread, 4 pages back, and the counter is now reading 43. Actually I did view it 3 different times. :)

laugh.gif

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neph, man, good to see you. :wave:

No need to log off, shut down, reboot, etc.

Save yourself some time. To get the view counter to update, all you have to do is hold the Shift key down while you click the refresh button in your browser. This forces your browser to not use cached information, and it will query the server for updated data.

The view counter is a function of the vBulletin software. Each time the thread is viewed, vBulletin increments the data column in the DB by one. It typically doesn't matter if one is logged in or if they are viewing the thread as a guest. The view counter should increase, regardless.

Of course, I'm no vBulletin expert, but in my experience setting up and administering SMF forums, that's usually how it works. But from this thread (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120938), it looks like perhaps you can set a delay on how often the thread counter updates (realtime updates vs. once/hour).

How's that for techy overload!

:cool:

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Neph, man, good to see you. :wave:

No need to log off, shut down, reboot, etc.

Save yourself some time. To get the view counter to update, all you have to do is hold the Shift key down while you click the refresh button in your browser. This forces your browser to not use cached information, and it will query the server for updated data.

The view counter is a function of the vBulletin software. Each time the thread is viewed, vBulletin increments the data column in the DB by one. It typically doesn't matter if one is logged in or if they are viewing the thread as a guest. The view counter should increase, regardless.

Of course, I'm no vBulletin expert, but in my experience setting up and administering SMF forums, that's usually how it works. But from this thread (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120938), it looks like perhaps you can set a delay on how often the thread counter updates (realtime updates vs. once/hour).

How's that for techy overload!

:cool:

LOL, And here comes Pete to give us "the rest of the story"....:D

Been a long time Pete, good to see you too :wave:

Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For "fellowship" forums, the 1:10 ratio seems about right. That tells me that there are 8-9 lurkers for every poster.

For "debate" forums, the ratio seems to be much higher. Look at the SF/C Debate forum, for example. Tells me that more people read, and fewer actually post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For "fellowship" forums, the 1:10 ratio seems about right. That tells me that there are 8-9 lurkers for every poster.

For "debate" forums, the ratio seems to be much higher. Look at the SF/C Debate forum, for example. Tells me that more people read, and fewer actually post.

You must be right cause I just "lurked":D

Upvote 0

synger

Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean like an Advent Wreath? Advent Jell-O? ^_^

Kinda. In liturgical churches, the colors of the vestments (altar cloths, pastor's stole, hangings from the pulpit, etc.) change depending on the season of the Church year. You'll see this in churches like Catholic, Orthodox, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, Anglican, and others that follow the liturgical year.

The color for the Advent season is blue or purple (hence the blue Jell-O). If you go into one of those denomination's churches, you're likely to see purple drapes on the pulpit and altar. For Christmas time (from Christmas eve to Epiphany) the color will be yellow or white. Then we have "ordinary time", which is green, until Lent (purple) starts. After Easter (white), we go back to ordinary time for the rest of the year, until Advent begins the cycle/year again.

It's not a big deal. In fact, even though I grew up in a liturgical church I never paid much attention to the colors (except on Easter, when the choir changed the colors of their robe stoles). It just shows the cycle of the year, and gives you a general feel for where you are in the cycle (purple=preparation/penitence, white/gold=celebration, green=growth). Some special days have special colors (red for Pentecost, white for All Saints, and black for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday).

The joke of my avatar is that "you might be a Lutheran if... you serve Jell-O in the correct liturgical colors"

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Kinda. In liturgical churches, the colors of the vestments (altar cloths, pastor's stole, hangings from the pulpit, etc.) change depending on the season of the Church year. You'll see this in churches like Catholic, Orthodox, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, Anglican, and others that follow the liturgical year.

The color for the Advent season is blue or purple (hence the blue Jell-O). If you go into one of those denomination's churches, you're likely to see purple drapes on the pulpit and altar. For Christmas time (from Christmas eve to Epiphany) the color will be yellow or white. Then we have "ordinary time", which is green, until Lent (purple) starts. After Easter (white), we go back to ordinary time for the rest of the year, until Advent begins the cycle/year again.

It's not a big deal. In fact, even though I grew up in a liturgical church I never paid much attention to the colors (except on Easter, when the choir changed the colors of their robe stoles). It just shows the cycle of the year, and gives you a general feel for where you are in the cycle (purple=preparation/penitence, white/gold=celebration, green=growth). Some special days have special colors (red for Pentecost, white for All Saints, and black for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday).

The joke of my avatar is that "you might be a Lutheran if... you serve Jell-O in the correct liturgical colors"

I didn't know about that. Thanks for telling me!

Upvote 0

synger

Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, you can tell it's the day after the office party around here. The kitchenettes on each floor are laden with leftovers. My breakfast was a spoonful of green bean casserole, two chicken wings, some cheese spread and crackers, a slice of cold cut sandwich with hot mustard (from a huge party sub), and half a danish.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.