Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Texas deputy killed 'execution-style' while fueling patrol car, authorities say | CNN

Deputy Darren H. Goforth, 47, was returning to his car after pumping gas Friday night.

The gunman walked up from behind him and opened fire for no apparent reason, Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman said.

When Goforth fell to the ground, the gunman stood over him and shot him some more, authorities said. He died at the scene.

Recently Fallen: Darren Goforth | Officer Down Memorial Page

Deputy Sheriff Darren Goforth was shot and killed from ambush while pumping gas into his patrol car at a commercial gas station at the intersection of West Road and Telge Road, in Cypress.

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
They just arrested a man in the shooting.

Actually, the man has been custody for hours, since early this morning. The area where it happened is not one I would have expected this type of crime to occur, it is in the suburbs, not far from the city of Jersey Village. I'll be interesting to hear the shooters motivation.

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, the man has been custody for hours, since early this morning. The area where it happened is not one I would have expected this type of crime to occur, it is in the suburbs, not far from the city of Jersey Village. I'll be interesting to hear the shooters motivation.
That is true they've had him in custody. My mistake. Are you in Houston area? I am about 200 miles west.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to say this...even though I'll probably catch some backlash for it....

Does anyone else find it strange that the article doesn't mention the race of the shooter?

It seems like any time police shoot a man in an incident the media deems questionable, they make sure to point out the race of the officer and the man shot. It gives the impression that race was a factor in the shooting...even if it wasn't.

Yet here we have a black man who decided to kill a white sheriff deputy...and the article leaves out any mention of race whatsoever. I'm not saying that race was a factor, in fact, the only factor appears to be the uniform of the victim. I just find it odd that race gets left out in this situation when it gets pointed out in so many others.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You aren't the only one that noticed. Majority of humanity doesn't focus so much on that, but the political media and the powers that be do. So, of course we hear about it - and are told it matters when its pointed out.

Your comment shows how much we are used to it...sadly.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to say this...even though I'll probably catch some backlash for it....

Does anyone else find it strange that the article doesn't mention the race of the shooter?
That's standard procedure when the shooter is not white. It doesn't fit the political narrative.

The District Attorney, Devon Anderson, said that the national criticism of police had gotten out of hand ...
Suspect named in killing of Houston deputy | USA Today

"It is time for the silent majority in this country to support law enforcement," she told reporters at a news conference. "There are a few bad apples in every profession, that does not mean there should be open warfare on law enforcement."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did this cop even do anything? How come it seems like all the "retaliation" is against random cops, who stand a very very small chance of being corrupt?

How does killing what is almost certainly a good cop help anything?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Black Lives Matter Protesters Chant: 'Pigs in a Blanket, Fry 'em like Bacon'

Carrying signs reading “End White Supremacy” and “Black Lives Matter,” the protesters railed against racial inequality, the criminal justice system and policing. Besides issuing the chant calling cops by the pejorative “pig,” the protesters repeated the names of several blacks who have been killed by police in recent years.

The activists sang out the violent chorus chant just hours after a lone gunman shot 47-year-old Harris County sheriff’s deputy Darren Goforth while he was getting gas.

Noting that in the past week just across the Sabine River two Louisiana officers were also senselessly gunned down.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Did this cop even do anything? How come it seems like all the "retaliation" is against random cops, who stand a very very small chance of being corrupt?

How does killing what is almost certainly a good cop help anything?

It doesn't help anything Vylo. Unfortunately, the media narrative these days has led some people to conclude that most police are bad...it's just a matter of catching them on video. It sounds kooky to rational people...but I've even seen a few of them posting here on CF.

I don't even see a clear solution. There's really no way to hold the media accountable for stoking this fire. We just have to wait until people become uninterested and it dies down.

Upvote 0

americanvet

Saved Sinner
Jun 15, 2012
The White Couch of Pristinia
✟20,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It doesn't help anything Vylo. Unfortunately, the media narrative these days has led some people to conclude that most police are bad...it's just a matter of catching them on video. It sounds kooky to rational people...but I've even seen a few of them posting here on CF.

I don't even see a clear solution. There's really no way to hold the media accountable for stoking this fire. We just have to wait until people become uninterested and it dies down.

Emphasis mine.

No don't wait. Speak out. While the majority of people are keeping silent my brothers and sisters in blue are in danger. Are we (police officers) perfect, no. Is anyone, no. But most of us do our absolute best to provide quality and consistent service. Most people will never have to call us to their more than a handful of times. However, in high crime areas is not uncommon to go to the same house numerous times a night every week. There's one street if I'm ever dispatched to it I know exactly what house I'm going to every time. These are the vocal minority (not meaning race) the ones who because of the nature of life they choose to live results in the police being called.

I would love to come to work one day and be told my services are no longer needed because society has fixed all problems. Regretfully that will never happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

It seems like any time police shoot a man in an incident the media deems questionable, they make sure to point out the race of the officer and the man shot. It gives the impression that race was a factor in the shooting...even if it wasn't.

Yet here we have a black man who decided to kill a white sheriff deputy...and the article leaves out any mention of race whatsoever. I'm not saying that race was a factor, in fact, the only factor appears to be the uniform of the victim. I just find it odd that race gets left out in this situation when it gets pointed out in so many others.

i hadn't thought of that.....

good point.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Which means the shooter is probably an illegal alien. If he were white and named Bill from the local Baptist church we would all know it.

EDIT: With the name Shannon J. Miles perhaps not an illegal, so if I was wrong I am wrong.

EDIT: MSNBC just put up his picture. Miles is black.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Now, I don't know, but if I were a cop, and I were confronted with having to deal with a black suspect, I think I'd be more likely to shoot first and ask questions later at this point.
I mean, we have people openly threatening their lives...can they be blamed, then, if they protect themselves?

I have a very bad feeling that this is likely to get worse before it gets better...

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a lady (Peggy Hubbard) that posted a video about how she doesn't appreciate the current protests due to the hypocrisy. Her original video was a bit salty, but she was upset at the death of a child...and she didn't feel she mattered to them.

Sadly, the majority won't back their cause to strongly until they do address the black on black crime. It's heart breaking to see those children killed, and their families mourn. Right now they seem to 'matter' only when killed by police, and you have to wonder if they realize that is what they present to the world. The chant says one thing, and the reality is different...and people have a hard time getting around that.

It's really sad.

Upvote 0