Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Is an acorn a Oak tree? In parts of southern California there are laws in place to preserve Oak trees. Do those laws now make someone who rakes up the acorns under an Oak on their property guilty of destroying hundreds of Oak trees?

Please note that an acorn has the full genetic material to become a tree and has a far better chance to become a tree if simply left alone than a human infant (already born) has of surviving if just left alone. (That instance regarding a wolf was a one shot deal!)

Did you intend to quote me?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but in the light of the post you were quoting.

OK. Then to answer your question no I do not think an acorn is an oak tree just like I do not think a fetus is a person. I fail to see what that has to do with the only options being animal, vegetable, or mineral?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I'd hope so. Though there are those that argue in matters of abortion that a baby isn't a human being.
I've never heard someone say that a homo sapiens infant is not a homo sapiens.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Oy. The semantics game.

Back to the OP. I agree with TG. Good sex ed can reduce pregnancies. That doesn't mean I agree with passing out condoms or giving out free birth control. It simply means that better educated means better educated. I wish more sex ed programs focused on the emotional aspect of teen sex.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oy. The semantics game.

Back to the OP. I agree with TG. Good sex ed can reduce pregnancies. That doesn't mean I agree with passing out condoms or giving out free birth control. It simply means that better educated means better educated. I wish more sex ed programs focused on the emotional aspect of teen sex.
Schools can teach all they want. But if students don't have access to birth control.Then they are at risk at getting pregnant. Many parents wont allow them to get birth control. So something needs to be done. Also a year of free birth control is cheaper, than taxpayers paying for a baby for a life time.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Schools can teach all they want. But if students don't have access to birth control.Then they are at risk at getting pregnant. Many parents wont allow them to get birth control. So something needs to be done. Also a year of free birth control is cheaper, than taxpayers paying for a baby for a life time.
Schools shouldn't give children birth control against their parents wishes.

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
It's a shame when sex is described as only a physical act. It cheapens the deep spiritual purpose as a union between a man and a woman. Sex is a marriage vow made between a man and a woman with God presiding over the union. It is sacred and holy, yet here we are acting as though the reduction in births is the main purpose in sex ed. What a shame and a cheap view of the sacred.

Reactions: skb420
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I grew up in the 70's-80's - closer to the 70's. They taught Sex ed (against parental input), and then AIDS came to town. My graduation class was 1,000 students. I remember 1 girl up close and personal that got pregnant - not in my class - but maybe 2 in my class that got preggers in High School - not a personal relationship with. It wasn't faith so much that stopped me, but disappointing my parents that made me NOT do it. My folks wouldn't have been one of those that kicked me out, but I knew in the back of my head my life would have been harder than it was already. My parents disappointment was a big deal to me, but I also knew they loved me despite my mistakes. We all make them. We were far from well off.

I remember dealing with Endometriosis as a young lady, and before the technical diagnosis I had female problems that landed me in the hospital. Everyone thought for SURE I had 'experience', and they told my parents as much. I didn't, but the hospital told us we needed to tell my boyfriend at the time to get 'checked out'. I was humiliated, and I remember my father never leaving my side at the hospital...but telling me he was disappointed in me. They felt it must have been something coined today as some STD. Everyone was telling me I did something, and I didn't. You couldn't tell them anything else. It was the era of that JUST happening!

After I was married I got sick again, and I had a major operation. That is when I got diagnosed. Tumor as big as a baseball, and my Doctor told me it was like the Beverly Hillbillies shot their shotgun inside of me. The Endo had spread all over, and they took it off my colon, liver, etc. My recovery was a nightmare, and I was told I would never have kids.

Later in life I had two kids I call my miracles, and shortly there after my plumbing was removed permanently. I wasn't suppose to get pregnant, but it happened anyway! They are adults at this stage, and giggle at the 'miracle' I label them as.

I had them watch 16 and Pregnant right before their hormones took over their life - one during the throw of it. I wanted to show them the serious business of having a baby so soon, and how it would impact their life's forever. My friend's during my childhood fooled around, and I don't know how many got pregnant and 'took care of it' at the time. I wanted neither experience for them. I couldn't control either one of those experiences - I knew that. Although many parents pretend they can. Not so. Don't be naive! My parents generation did it, and those prior did as well. Fear stopped me, but that is gone now.

My oldest? Before she graduated they were planning daycare IN school. Fear and shame are gone, and in some circumstances - not all, but many - I don't give darn has taken it's place. The stigma is gone. Deal with it.

Schools shouldn't give children birth control against their parents wishes.

I don't agree. I saw kids my own children's classes in high school doing things you might not even imagine. Times have changed, and this is their body. I agree with you in spirit, but I can't fully. Just can't. BOY do I wish I could - believe me!

Now we have to deal with the JUST in CASE mode. I don't want to be a grandparent before my time. Thankfully...my kids took it serious.

To many stories that I have dealt with in that time, and family dynamics, etc. At times I think the kids want to show love they didn't get, and aren't going to - or aren't willing to - wait for the stable person for share that with. Immature decisions because they are indeed immature.

Their starving for it. The prude days are over if you want your children to come to you with true problems to walk them though. I wish it was different, but I have to keep those doors of open communication open. My mother would have died with the junk my kids have asked me about, but I have to deal with real life - because in the past they just couldn't. They were not capable of it. They talk, and I try my hardest with no shame in return. Just reality. No speeches - just reality.

I'm thankful my kids - who are young adults, but I still call them that okay? lol! They talk to me. I kept that communication open enough that they speak to me about things I could NEVER speak about to my parents. Their friends came to us growing up, because no one would talk to them. Not in any real sense. I talk straight, and don't sugarcoat. I use their lingo, and I just lay it all out there. My kids kept on the straight and narrow so far, but I'm not going to jeopardize that by pretending they couldn't far at some point. When they do - and I'm preparing myself for it - I will still be straight and upfront...but talk about more than the speech about you shouldn't do that before marriage. In this culture - you need - you MUST - go further!

I will love them thought it if they find themselves in that position, but I won't enable them. I will refuse to shield them from the harsh realities of single parenthood, and they know it. Yes, I will be disappointed too. Just like my father when I didn't do anything. Yet, the air of that disappointment won't be quite the same. Times have changed, and I want to adapt with them in a different way. They will NOT feel alone like I did. They will feel the reality, but not in my position of not heard or believed. I don't blame my folks - that was the generation at the time. My approach changed, but this generation has. I don't LIKE the changes, but they will not feel sent adrift on their own either. I just want to be real. I'll keep my values and speak of them. Yet, be real at the same time.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Because it circumvents parental authority. After 18? Sure they're adults and can do what they want. Before that they have to live under the rules of their parents/legal guardians. The State (which is what public schools are) has no right to interfere with that relationship, especially on an issue as important and intimate as sexual matters. If the parents are OK with it, then great. If not, then the school needs to respect their wishes and not give their children birth control.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Because it circumvents parental authority. After 18? Sure they're adults and can do what they want. Before that they have to live under the rules of their parents/legal guardians. The State (which is what public schools are) has no right to interfere with that relationship, especially on an issue as important and intimate as sexual matters. If the parents are OK with it, then great. If not, then the school needs to respect their wishes and not give their children birth control.
But the majority of teenagers do not discuss their sexual encounters with their parents. So all that will happen, if they can't access contraception, is they'll have unprotected sex.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
But the majority of teenagers do not discuss their sexual encounters with their parents. So all that will happen, if they can't access contraception, is they'll have unprotected sex.
That's unfortunate. But it's also besides the point. That's a failing of the parent that the child doesn't trust them enough to bring their concerns to them.

But either way, I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to get condoms. I'm not advocating they be behind-the-counter items. Just that schools shouldn't be giving them out against parental consent.

Reactions: skb420
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That's unfortunate. But it's also besides the point. That's a failing of the parent that the child doesn't trust them enough to bring their concerns to them.

But either way, I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to get condoms. I'm not advocating they be behind-the-counter items. Just that schools shouldn't be giving them out against parental consent.

So you are advocating that the only kids can get condoms is by stealing (shoplifting) them?

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So you are advocating that the only kids can get condoms is by stealing (shoplifting) them?
No, I said they shouldn't be behind the counter items. So they can buy them.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No, I said they shouldn't be behind the counter items. So they can buy them.

OK. Since you also said they should not be able to get condoms so I misread your intent.

Are you opposed to all free sources or just directly from the state (or perhaps even the schools in particular)? From YOU (singular) I can see the implied approval of sexual activity as the biggest reason. From others no.

The biggest problem for society is among the poor. Highest teen pregnancy rate and children born are apt to be born into a situation lacking a qualified caregiver. It is difficult enough to get young adults to use precautions, if you add a cost it becomes all the harder. What would you propose?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
OK. Since you also said they should not be able to get condoms so I misread your intent.

Are you opposed to all free sources or just directly from the state (or perhaps even the schools in particular)? From YOU (singular) I can see the implied approval of sexual activity as the biggest reason. From others no.

The biggest problem for society is among the poor. Highest teen pregnancy rate and children born are apt to be born into a situation lacking a qualified caregiver. It is difficult enough to get young adults to use precautions, if you add a cost it becomes all the harder. What would you propose?
It's basically that I don't think schools specifically should be able to give out birth control without parental consent. I would be OK with private organizations doing a no questions asked sort of thing.

Upvote 0