Teenage 'meninist' tells women to 'just control their bladders' in anti-tampon rant

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Ignorance is not limited to the young---My husband once asked me why only women get cancer of the uterus!!! Not only that, he asked how come women do not get prostate problems!!! I am not joking----he at least blushed when I told him! He said "You tell anyone, I was this stupid, I will kill you!!" OK Dear. But even he was not as stupid as this so called "menenist."---Never heard that term before.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is one of those cases where you really wish ignorance caused physical pain, huh? The kid doesn't deserve death threats. Probably needs a swift kick in the rear, though.

I was sort of thinking the other side as in between the legs. He should just be able to control his reaction!

• Haha
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ignorance is not limited to the young---My husband once asked me why only women get cancer of the uterus!!! Not only that, he asked how come women do not get prostate problems!!! I am not joking----he at least blushed when I told him! He said "You tell anyone, I was this stupid, I will kill you!!" OK Dear.
Oh wow that's hilarious!

But even he was not as stupid as this so called "menenist."---Never heard that term before.
Menenist despite what some will tell you isn't actually a thing, it's people trolling feminist.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I gotta say. I work with some messed up youth. Really messed up; behavioural, emotional, psychological. But the one group that had the greatest tendency towards a meninist (is MRA better?) mindset were the diagnosed sociopaths. Maybe it's just a coincidence, it but it was certainly consistent.
Interesting. IMPE its the spectrum disorder types, and depressives with seriously poor self image. People on the spectrum can bave serious trouble understanding the differences between fictional and real world interpersonal relationships and cues, and years of acting like the nerdy unpopular kid in the teen romance who always gets the girl can lead to resentment when real women won't give you the time of day.

My experience may be different because most of my contact has been with older people.

• Informative
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

In most of the cases I've seen online, the entire point of the "meninist" posts I've seen have been to parrot and invite parody (but with genders reversed) of some of the more ludicrous garbage spouted by tumblr feminists (before they, regardless of how physically old they are, grow up) or other idiots of a similar ilk.

I'd say that either he's so supremely ignorant of human biology that it defies the standards of even the least taxing education system, or it's trolling almost on the level of an artform.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In most of the cases I've seen online, the entire point of the "meninist" posts I've seen have been to parrot and invite parody (but with genders reversed) of some of the more ludicrous garbage spouted by tumblr feminists (before they, regardless of how physically old they are, grow up) or other idiots of a similar ilk.

I'd say that either he's so supremely ignorant of human biology that it defies the standards of even the least taxing education system, or it's trolling almost on the level of an artform.

Let's run with your idea.

So what is he reversing? Is it a claim that the sex drive of men is comparable to menstruation and men therefore should not be expected to control their desires?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Let's run with your idea.

So what is he reversing? Is it a claim that the sex drive of men is comparable to menstruation and men therefore should not be expected to control their desires?

Beats me, but I was under the impression that the exact level of ignorant/stupid is slightly thicker than the ability to operate a keyboard (kinda like how the amount I need to have drunk to make singing karaoke a good idea is more than the amount required to lose the ability to walk)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. My sons knew about periods way before age 19, and that bladders don't have anything to do with them. How ignorant can anyone get? .

Oh, people can get a lot more ignorant than that.

• Agree
Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oh, people can get a lot more ignorant than that.

Obviously at least he knew women have periods.

Is there some word for having things wrong? Sort of orthogonal to ignorance. For example not knowing how babies are made is simple ignorance, thinking the stork brings them is also ignorance, but it adds on a false idea.

I'm just wondering if there is any terminology that differentiates between the two sorts of ignorance. I can't think of any right now, but I figure if such does exist someone here probably remembers it.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Is there some word for having things wrong? Sort of orthogonal to ignorance. For example not knowing how babies are made is simple ignorance, thinking the stork brings them is also ignorance, but it adds on a false idea.

I'm just wondering if there is any terminology that differentiates between the two sorts of ignorance. I can't think of any right now, but I figure if such does exist someone here probably remembers it.

Agnotology is a neologism by Stanford University professor Dr. Robert Proctor, who described it as “culturally constructed ignorance, created by special interest groups to create confusion and suppress the truth in a societally important issue.” It can be expanded to include any form of ignorance that has been generated culturally rather than being due merely to an innate lack of knowledge.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-27/culturally-constructed-ignorance-wins-the-day

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Ignorance is not limited to the young---My husband once asked me why only women get cancer of the uterus!!! Not only that, he asked how come women do not get prostate problems!!! I am not joking----he at least blushed when I told him! He said "You tell anyone, I was this stupid, I will kill you!!" OK Dear. But even he was not as stupid as this so called "menenist."---Never heard that term before.

LOL! I laughed so hard that my ovaries hurt!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Admiral Lowell Jacoby (my boss in the mid 90s and director of DIA in the early 2000s) told us: "Always keep your assumptions distinct from your facts."

In the intel business, we usually didn't have all the necessary facts of a situation and often had to make do with assumptions to build the picture we briefed to the boss.

Sometimes an assumption was so old or so widely held that the danger was forgetting it was only an assumption in the first place...and not looking for a fact to replace it. Or worse, reject a new fact because it seemed to conflict with the old "fact." ("Fact" = Information from a reliable source, preferably from multiple reliable sources.)

When I trained young analysts, I would actually make them keep their assumptions in red font until they had at least one reliable source to reference.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. IMPE its the spectrum disorder types, and depressives with seriously poor self image. People on the spectrum can bave serious trouble understanding the differences between fictional and real world interpersonal relationships and cues, and years of acting like the nerdy unpopular kid in the teen romance who always gets the girl can lead to resentment when real women won't give you the time of day.

Yeah, I notice a lot of male feminists who are nerdy looking as well. Who seem to get a thrill from being seen as a hero and defender of women as a male feminist. They certainly get female attention (although often not romantic.)

For example this guy.

hqdefault.jpg

Doubt he receives much attention from women in real life. He's fat in that kind of feminine looking way. On Youtube he regularly conversed with female feminists, coddling them and making quite violent rhetoric towards anti-feminist men. In this specific context of his life, he must have felt like an alpha-male.

He was a pretty annoying man on Youtube. Then one day it was exposed that he is on the sex offender registry, he immediately ran off of Youtube never to be heard from again (at least to my knowledge). Was worth a good laugh, although I think he highlights the creepiness of many male feminists.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I notice a lot of male feminists who are nerdy looking as well. Who seem to get a thrill from being seen as a hero and defender of women as a male feminist. They certainly get female attention (although often not romantic.)

For example this guy.

hqdefault.jpg

Doubt he receives much attention from women in real life. He's fat in that kind of feminine looking way. On Youtube he regularly conversed with female feminists, coddling them and making quite violent rhetoric towards anti-feminist men. In this specific context of his life, he must have felt like an alpha-male.

He was a pretty annoying man on Youtube. Then one day it was exposed that he is on the sex offender registry, he immediately ran off of Youtube never to be heard from again (at least to my knowledge). Was worth a good laugh, although I think he highlights the creepiness of many male feminists.

I think they even have a term for these kind of guys, I think it is "white knights"

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow. My sons knew about periods way before age 19, and that bladders don't have anything to do with them. How ignorant can anyone get? I guess his hysteria about the "dirtiness" of normal bodily functions has somehow blocked his brain from processing simple biology. Also - he has a girlfriend and she's never explained where the blood comes from? I'm having flashbacks to the episode of OITNB where some of the women thought that all fluids came from the same, um, place and had to be educated by a transsexual on their own bodies ... I can't even blame the US education system because this guy is British. Luxury items ... bah.

I read an article about this self-identified "meninist" and his anti-tampon rant in Teen Vogue the other day, and that scene from OITNB is what played in my mind. :)

At least with this specific ignorance of his it was likely to have minimal detrimental consequence - had he not broadcast it to the internet. What's far more worrisome to me are the persistent myths, misconceptions and lack of awareness that have lead to tangible harm. Such as the falsehood that oral sex is entirely "safe" because it cannot cause STDs. Or that boys don't need the HPV vaccine because it only provides protection against cervical cancer, when in actuality HPV absolutely affects males. I was just reading about how it's pulling past tobacco and alcohol as a leading cause of cancers in the back of the mouth and throat, the area called the oropharynx. The CDC now estimates about 70% of all oropharyngeal cancers may be caused by HPV, including roughly 12,600 cases in men each year. So it's important for both genders. Or the myth that responsibly providing children with the HPV vaccine encourages early sexual activity. And then there's all the myths that have persisted for decades, like that the "pull out method" or douching are effective at preventing unwanted pregnancies and infections. In addition to all the ignorance regarding the health aspects of sex are the fallacies and unfamiliarity in regards to legal consent. It's one of the reasons why my college has taken stronger measures to improve sex education for undergrads. Two alumnae from my school also created an app aiming to provide education about sex for young adults.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0