Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Ted Cruz announces Trump-inspired amendment to the Constitution

During the presidential campaign, Donald Trump called for enacting term limits, and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) has endorsed the idea. As soon as the 115th Congress convenes, both of us will move to restore accountability among the entrenched Washington establishment by introducing a constitutional amendment to limit the number of terms that a member of Congress can serve to three in the House and two in the Senate.

Passing term limits will demonstrate that Congress has actually heard the voice of the people
.​

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,316,963.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ted Cruz announces Trump-inspired amendment to the Constitution

During the presidential campaign, Donald Trump called for enacting term limits, and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) has endorsed the idea. As soon as the 115th Congress convenes, both of us will move to restore accountability among the entrenched Washington establishment by introducing a constitutional amendment to limit the number of terms that a member of Congress can serve to three in the House and two in the Senate.

Passing term limits will demonstrate that Congress has actually heard the voice of the people
.​

47b20s0.gif

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
For what purpose, exactly? The only reason I could see to do this is an attempt to make government less effective.
I believe the main rationale for term limits is to encourage new blood rather than allowing people to turn an office into a career.

I am currently thankful we have term limits on the presidency ... and I'm sure that many felt similarly eight years ago.

Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ending a term is not the same as being fired.

Fine. The only people who can push term limits through would be removing themselves from the power that they so love and the nice $174,000 a year paycheck that comes with it ;)

Either way you wish to word their removing themselves from power, I support term limits but I doubt they will happen in my life time for the above reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟178,523.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The real power lies with the people who monetarily support politicians. Term limits are a waste of time because it does not address the heart of the corruption. The men who pull the strings behind the curtain simply put another puppet in place of the old.

rinse, repeat.

• Agree
Reactions: AceHero
Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The real power lies with the people who monetarily support politicians. Term limits are a waste of time because it does not address the heart of the corruption. The men who pull the strings behind the curtain simply put another puppet in place of the old.

rinse, repeat.

I agree that spending in politics is a huge factor of the quality of representation that we get. That doesn't make term limits pointless though. There is no need for life long politicians.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟891,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I believe the main rationale for term limits is to encourage new blood rather than allowing people to turn an office into a career.

I am currently thankful we have term limits on the presidency ... and I'm sure that many felt similarly eight years ago.

Why is it important to ensure there is new blood and why is it worth the cost of reduced efficacy?

Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why is it important to ensure there is new blood and why is it worth the cost of reduced efficacy?

12 years in office for a Senator is plenty of time to be efficient.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to whom? What is their experience in dealing with government?

According to me. :) If the President can get things done in 8 years a Senator can make things happen in 12. I've never held office but I have experience lobbying and dealing with staff of Senators and Representatives via https://www.iab.com/topics/public-policy/?topic=long-tail-alliance/

It is ridiculous that since I have been alive Alabama has had the same two U.S. Senators. I am 31 years old.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Alabama desperately needs fixed. Princess Noccalula would take the jump again today if she'd seen what is happening....
Personally, I would argue that fixing California and New York ought to be a higher priority.
Winking_smiley.gif

Just my opinion though ...

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟891,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0