jerry ralph

Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Words of Jesus found in Matthew 5:37 NASB:
“But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is evil.”

Here’s what Webster has to say about sarcasm. “From the Greek word sarkasmos, to tear flesh like dogs, speak bitterly. A taunting, sneering, cutting, or caustic remark.” I find that I am guilty of being sarcastic. I am also guilty of gossip, and I find that many times during the act of gossip remarks will be made that are sneering and cutting. I have also been on the receiving end of sarcasm, and I understand how it can come from the words “to tear flesh.” That’s exactly what it does it cuts the heart. It wounds us spiritually and sometimes we remember these wounds long after we have forgiven those who have used sarcasm against us. I would describe sarcasm as being a “smart-aleck” remark that is made without concern for someone else’s feelings. The thing about sarcastic words that I find to be true of many words and their use, is that they cut and tear flesh both ways. The person that is the object of the sarcastic remark is hurt. And, the person who made the remark is also hurt once they realize that what they have said caused someone pain. In my life I have found that my sarcastic statements have been made more or less on the spare of the moment. I don’t sit down and say to myself, “I’m going to say something that I know will hurt them.” Usually my mouth opens up, and out fly these words that I think are cute or funny. They are always at the expense of someone else being the joke. Many times sarcasm can be a “yes statement” meaning to be “no.” Or a “no statement” meaning to be “yes.” Jesus had a way of keeping life simple. Be honest with yourself and others at the same time. If you say yes let it mean yes. If you say no let it mean no. Anything beyond that is not right! Today may I learn from the Scriptures and from Webster that tearing flesh hurts both ways. God is still doing for me what I could not do for myself………………..JRE

Lord,

I crawled across the barrenness to you with my empty cup

Uncertain

In asking any small drop of refreshment.

If only I’d known You better

I’d have come running with a bucket.

NANCY SPIEGELBERG

“In many instances we shall find that though the harm done others has not been great, the emotional harm we have done ourselves has.”
BILL W. …………….A.A. 12X12 page 79