Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟794,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
went to an Italian restaurant and a customer sucked several strands of his spaghetti at a time which was so disgusting. Kids decided they didn't want to look like that. That mental image is still with me. But it was a great motivator - purely by accident but very effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kids decided they didn't want to look like that.

Excellent teaching opportunity!

Tell your kids that manners exist to help others be more comfortable; they will understand it now.

Upvote 0

Messy2

Sep 20, 2015
✟871.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Any tips on how to teach basic table manners to boys ages 4 and 6?
Put a plate with food in front of them with a knife and a fork I think. Or go to the Mac.
If you want them to sit still and straight up, stay when they're finished and such, I've got no idea, since I don't care about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Modeling, encouragement and repetition. Make sure you make them aware of the expectations, then reinforce that expectation.

I would add start with stressing what is important and also things you can give a reason for. Insisting they ask someone to pass something instead of standing up and leaning over their siblings plate is a good example.

Save the things that are only custom for last, not in the modeling, in the insisting on.

Of course learning that mom is more apt to say yes to a second helping of desert is asked politely does not hurt either.

Upvote 0