Teaching - God's Power is like Electricity

dmdar

Sep 14, 2009
✟7,789.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God gave me this teaching about a year ago while I was going to college and I was taking a class on electricity, I just found this bulletin board and I thought this would be a good place to share it. God showed me that Godly principals are at work in the behavior of electricity, just like elsewhere in nature. The teaching that I wrote out is here:

About a year or so ago a brother gave a message on a Sunday morning at my home church about how God’s “fingerprints” are all over His creation and there are Godly principles at work in nature. He talked about how God showed him that if a tree “exalts itself” and grows beyond what it’s intended to do it will fall and collapse under it’s own weight, just like we will do if we become proud and exalt ourselves. Last spring semester at college I took a class on the basics of electricity, and the Lord showed me another example of Godly principals at work in nature.

We were learning about conductors and insulators (conductors are substances that allow electricity to flow through them, while insulators are substances that don’t allow electricity to flow through them). We were learning about what happens on the atomic level when electricity flows through something and the Lord showed me that there are also Godly principles at work in the behavior of electricity. Electricity is made up of free electrons, electrons that are not attached to an atom. When electricity flows through a conductor such as a copper wire the free electrons bump into a copper atom that is part of the copper wire and knock the copper atom’s own electrons out of the copper atom. These newly freed electrons then slam into the adjacent copper atoms in the wire, knocking their electrons out of the copper atoms and electricity flows through the copper wire in one big chain reaction, like a set of dominoes. In the class we were learning about the differences between conductors and insulators on the atomic level. An insulator (such as plastic, rubber, or glass) which does not conduct electricity holds onto it’s electrons very tightly and keeps them close to the nucleus. It won’t let go of it’s electrons and if electricity tries to flow through it the flow will come to the insulator and stop since the free electrons can’t knock the insulator’s electrons out of orbit from their nucleus. On the other hand, a conductor (copper, aluminum, gold, silver, water, etc) which does conduct electricity does not hold onto it’s electrons tightly and they are further from the nucleus than with an insulator. It easily lets go of it’s electrons and if electricity tries to flow through it the free electrons will knock the conductor’s electrons out of orbit from their nucleus and electricity will flow to the next atoms. God showed me that His power functions much like electricity. If we are like an insulator and are selfish and won’t let go of our “electrons” and want to hoard them all for ourselves it stops the flow of God’s power. However if we are like a conductor and don’t hold on to everything we have and freely give our “electrons”, then like electricity God’s power will flow through us.

Another thing I learned is that interestingly enough the best conductor of electricity there is in the world is silver, which is exactly what God compares the nation of Israel to in Isaiah 1:22-23:

22 Thy silver is become dross, thy wine mixed with water: 23 Thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.” –Isaiah 1:22-23

The Lord does it again in Ezekiel 22:22:

“As silver is melted in the midst of the furnace, so shall ye be melted in the midst thereof; and ye shall know that I the LORD have poured out my fury upon you.” –Ezekiel 22:22

In both cases the nation of Israel had rebelled against the Lord and were facing impending judgment. They had all become “dross” as the Lord said in Ezekiel 22:19:

“Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye are all become dross, behold, therefore I will gather you into the midst of Jerusalem.” –Ezekiel 22:19

And in Isaiah 1:22:

“22 Thy silver is become dross, thy wine mixed with water:” –Isaiah 1:22

I did some research on silver dross and it is made up of impurities in the metal. Because pure silver is the best conductor of electricity in the world, any foreign substances in the silver will lower it’s conductivity. The silver with impurities in it must be melted and purged of the dross and then it will conduct electricity better than it would have otherwise. This is exactly what the Lord figuratively said He would do to rebellious Israel in Isaiah 1:25:

“24 Therefore saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts, the mighty One of Israel, Ah, I will ease Me of mine adversaries, and avenge Me of mine enemies: 25 And I will turn My hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin: 26 And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counselors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city.” –Isaiah 1:24-26

God could have said gold or iron or tin or another metal, but being the creator of the elements He knew exactly what He was doing when He spoke these words to the Old Testament prophets. Nobody knew anything about electricity or conductivity or the properties of silver back in the days these books of the Bible were written, but God did!

Also another reference to silver is in Proverbs 10:20:

“20 The tongue of the righteous is choice silver;
The heart of the wicked is worth little.” –Proverbs 10:20

It hit me that as we purge the “dross” and impurities from our tongues, just like silver, it will become a better conductor of God’s Spirit.

Note: Another fact about silver is that it is also the world’s best conductor of heat.

dmdar

Sep 14, 2009
✟7,789.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God recently gave me some more to add to the first teaching and I thought I'd share it here, here it is:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"Another thing I learned about conductors and insulators in school was that the conductivity of a substance is measured by it’s resistance (measured in units called ohms). The higher the resistance of the substance, the less easily electricity can pass through it and thus the less conductive it is. You can get the same amount of electricity through a substance with low conductivity as a substance with high conductivity, but you’ll need to use more electricity since more will be lost in the transfer. God showed me that in the same way the less resistance we have to His Spirit, the more easily His power will flow through us.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Another thing that God showed me dealing with electricity was about semiconductors (such as silicon, which is what computer chips are made out of). Semiconductors conduct electricity very well when they’re hot, but very poorly when they’re cold. Just like this we are better “conductors” of God’s power when we’re hot for God rather than cold.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Another thing I learned about electricity while I was in school was that contrary to popular belief, just having electricity flowing into something is not enough to make it work. In order for a device to work electricity actually must flow into it, through the device, and then out the other side. It’s actually the flow of the electrons that does the work rather than just them being present. If you’ve ever seen one of those old flour mills built next to a stream with the water wheel on the side, electricity works in pretty much the same way. As the water flows by it pushes on the water wheel which then turns the grindstone, which then slowly turns the grain into flour. The flow of current through the device does the work, rather than just electricity being present. This is why there are 2 terminals on a battery (+ and -), and at least 2 prongs on an electrical cord. In the example of a battery powered flashlight, electrons would flow out of the (–) terminal of the battery, into the light bulb, through the filament of the light bulb, then back out of the light bulb and back into the (+) terminal of the battery. As the electrons flow through the filament of the light bulb it heats up the filament which starts to glow and the light bulb gives off light. This loop is called a complete circuit. There must be a complete circuit in order for electricity to flow and do it’s job. If there is a break anywhere in this loop then this is a short- circuit, in which case not only does the connected device not work, but it also stops the flow of electrons in the loop. (Electrons will not move unless they have a place to go—there is another principal at work here if you remember what happened with the oil when Elisha was in the widow’s house (2nd Kings 4)) What God showed me is that just like this if His power is flowing into us but not out of us at the same time then this is a spiritual short-circuit and it stops the flow of His power. On the other hand, if His power is flowing into us and out of us at the same time then we function the way He intended us to and more power is drawn from the source."[/FONT]

Upvote 0