Teacher Banned After Ripping Out Boy's Insulin Pump.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
School Officials: Teacher Thought Pump Was Cell Phone.

A substitute teacher in Lake County, Fla., was terminated and banned from teaching in the county after he ripped out a student's insulin pump during class apparently thinking it was a ringing cell phone, according to a Local 6 News report.

http://www.local6.com/news/5056865/detail.html

Petunia

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
✟211,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An IV... can easily pull out depending on how well it's attached. He may have just casually pulled it out of the kid's jacket and caused it to detach. And of course.. to the media.. that means 'ripped out'.

Either way, he should have kept his hands off the pump and the kid and waited for the kid to answer. So I guess he can expect to be released and banned. He can also probably expect the boys family lawyer to contact him soon. I'm glad the child went to the clinic and had it reinserted. He must be a pretty severe diabetic to have to wear a pump to school.

Upvote 0

MERCY@GRACE

Jan 1, 2005
✟3,309.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a child w/ typ 1 diabetes, so the thread title enraged me......UNTIL I read the whole story. I do wonder why the kid didn't tell him what is was in the first place, (when he told him to turn his 'cell' off). It reads as though he touched the device and not the student!

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
MERCY@GRACE said:
It reads as though he touched the device and not the student!

So it is a good idea for teachers to touch anything on students? Even if it WAS a cell phone, he should have been sent to the office instead of having the cellphone physically taken off of him by the teacher (assuming the teacher reached in and took it without the kid's consent, which it looks like)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
MERCY@GRACE said:
I do wonder why the kid didn't tell him what is was in the first place, (when he told him to turn his 'cell' off).
There's nothing like that in the article. The article said that the teacher asked what the beeping was; he didn't tell the student "to turn his 'cell' off."

It reads as though he touched the device and not the student!
He did touch the device. :scratch:

Upvote 0