Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going to a Pentecostal church this Sunday, but I have tattoos, one of them on my wrist, the other above my heart. Should I cover them up? How do Pentecostals view tattoos, what do they think of them? If I wanted to join the church, would I be able to with my tattoos?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If any denomination/church judges you for stuff like that then that is not the place for you... Some may, most won't, be mindful of the traditikns of man in the church that says you have to look like a saint to be a Christian, good Christian.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm going to a Pentecostal church this Sunday, but I have tattoos, one of them on my wrist, the other above my heart. Should I cover them up? How do Pentecostals view tattoos, what do they think of them? If I wanted to join the church, would I be able to with my tattoos?
Hopefully, you're going to church to have a meeting with the King of Kings. Let Him speak to your hearts about forgiveness of sins.
It is unfortunate that man looks at the outward appearance, while God looks at the heart.
Those with the revelation that God is to be reveranced, tend to honor Him with their Sunday best. It's simply an offering of respect. There is nothing wrong with ordinances that church community agree to uphold. Someone without the spirit will always find a reason to oppose church rules.

Compare your tatoo to a man who commited murder. Can God forgive him?

If you feel convicted by the Holy Spirit maybe you can cover that tatoo with clothes, but only God can cover murder and other sin.
Keep your eyes on God and He will bless your heart.

Upvote 0

ltwin

May 17, 2012
SC
✟8,144.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

In the old days, Pentecostals would have universally opposed believers getting tattoos. Of course, they would not hold that against people who got tattoos before they were saved. As long as they didn't get any tattoos after being saved and become a member of the church, then any tattoos acquired before conversion would not be held against them.

Today, things are radically different. While I can't speak for all Pentecostal churches, many of them no longer see anything wrong at all with getting tattoos, either before or after getting saved. A couple years ago, the hottest thing in my church was people getting tattoos of their favorite scripture verses.

Practical guidelines:

1) If you have tattoos that may be offensive or indecent, it may be wise to wear clothing that covers that up.
2) Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Most Pentecostals I'd imagine would not really care. Some Pentecostals may have issues with it, but they would be a minority.

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In the old days, Pentecostals would have universally opposed believers getting tattoos. Of course, they would not hold that against people who got tattoos before they were saved. As long as they didn't get any tattoos after being saved and become a member of the church, then any tattoos acquired before conversion would not be held against them.
That pretty much explains my church. I personally don't see why people need tattoos, why people would want them, etc. Even getting a tattoo of a cross or whatever, what power is there in that? What does that do for you? Tattoos are vanity, they glorify us and our bodies, when we are called to holiness and to glorify God in everything we do.

Upvote 0

Seeking His Presence

May 2, 2013
✟7,653.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't see why you would have a problem. Whilst I personally wouldn't get a tattoo I think it's a case of each to their own.

Just as a side note, I've told my kids that if they want a career path with a job that will NEVER be short of work, become a tattoo removalist. I see so many people getting them now who in about 10-15 years time are going to go, "why, oh why did I do that?";)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fallior

Jul 14, 2014
Brooksville, Florida - USA
Visit site
✟15,217.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you already have them, it shouldn't be a problem.

BUT, to the people saying there is nothing wrong with tattoos
"You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD."
Leviticus 19:28

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

"You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD."
The next verse says about not trimming the corners of one's beard. Do preachers shave?

Hebrews 7.12 says the law was changed; and what we now have is better than the law.

Some Christians find faith based tattoos to be effective in witness conversations.

Upvote 0

Fallior

Jul 14, 2014
Brooksville, Florida - USA
Visit site
✟15,217.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess that makes sense. Though doesn't God also say to treat your body like a temple? If we were to treat our body the way we do a temple we wouldn't have tattoos either would we? I mean, I don't see markings, not even bible verses written on the walls of a temple. The only time I ever do is when it's written on something like paper and then taped to the wall, which would equal the same as wearing a shirt with a bible quote.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess that makes sense. Though doesn't God also say to treat your body like a temple? If we were to treat our body the way we do a temple we wouldn't have tattoos either would we? I mean, I don't see markings, not even bible verses written on the walls of a temple. The only time I ever do is when it's written on something like paper and then taped to the wall, which would equal the same as wearing a shirt with a bible quote.

Some tattoos are Bible quotes, of course.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; the verse was her favorite one, and mine also. I'm sure other conversations with people have resulted also, because of her tattoo.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I agree with the direction you are taking. At the same time, we have been redeemed from the curse of the law, Gal 3:13 so I'm not sure this scripture in Leviticus applies. Instead, consider 1 Cor 6:19, "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the direction you are taking. At the same time, we have been redeemed from the curse of the law, Gal 3:13 so I'm not sure this scripture in Leviticus applies. Instead, consider 1 Cor 6:19, "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

Some Christians positively try to be God honoring by getting faith based tattoo designs (Christian fish sign <>< on wrist, Bible verse or ref., etc.) that are proven effective in witness.

I guess it's an individual conviction thing.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

dont worry :) whats done is done . i doubt any one will even notice .'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.and i openly advice against getting more of them .
God makes known to us what is pleasing to him and what is not .. those who love him seek to do only that which is pleasing to him, because they love him :):clap:

when we love some one ..we don't show it by willfully doing things the person told us displeases them .

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well like I said, God says your body is a temple and I don't see markings, not even bible verses written on the walls of a temple. So why should you treat your body differently?
Some Christians would look at it from the point of view of using the skin for a purpose to glorify God. My wife and I talked to a young lady with John 3.16 inked on her wrist area. It was her favorite verse and mine, too. I'm sure other conversations with ppl have resulted also.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
.and i openly advice against getting them .
God makes known to us what is pleasing to him and what is not .. those who love him seek to do only that which is pleasing to him, because they love him

when we love some one ..we don't show it by willfully doing things the person told us displeases them .

and we are taught directly and unambiguously in scripture to walk in the Spirit not in the flesh .its not about laws and rules it is about LOVE .. if we do our own will with out first seeking Gods will ..to listen and obey him in order to better serve and please him ..then we do not love we rebel .
we grow in this process of ever increasing obedience to him .but once we become knowing about a thing that displeases him ..to then ignore what pleases the lord and go and do it ..would only display that we love our own will more then we love God .
its not only about whether we get a tatoo .. but it is about whether we love the Lord enough to ask him first with a heart that says "lord nOT MY will but THINE be done .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.