Jan 12, 2007
✟136,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So I'm in the Navy and I'm not going to lie when I say that tattoos are a part of our tradition (with certain parameters of course). I have thought of it long and hard (haven't spoken to a priest about it yet) but have decided what I would get if I were to get a tattoo at all.
One would be a three bar cross and the other would be my saint on my shoulder. Why? It is quite simple: no matter where I go I can remain better focused upon Christ.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
To be fair, I have read differing views from other priests on this.
I considered tearing the "answer" you posted apart, as it really is not a well though out "answer"... Especially the very obtuse comment, "It just doesn’t get any planner than this." But then I read your statement above, and decided to let it go... Yes indeed, I have also read OPINIONS on both sides from priests.

Ultimately, one can think what they will, but we do not have a unquestionable Tradition of absolutely forbidding tattoos. Of course, that is not to say tattoos are "commendable", or anything.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I considered tearing the "answer" you posted apart, as it really is not a well though out "answer"... Especially the very obtuse comment, "It just doesn’t get any planner than this." But then I read your statement above, and decided to let it go... Yes indeed, I have also read OPINIONS on both sides from priests.

Ultimately, one can think what they will, but we do not have a unquestionable Tradition of absolutely forbidding tattoos. Of course, that is not to say tattoos are "commendable", or anything.
I would agree with that. :)

Upvote 0