inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Coptics often get crosses tattooed on their wrists. Beautiful tradition.

I have two tattoos currently. These were done before I was a Christian, and I treated my body as my own; as a toy to be used up and thrown away. There is one more tattoo I want to get, an Orthodox 3 bar cross with sponge, spear, and IC XC NI KA on my right arm.

Nice! I want a 3 bar cross and the Paschal greeting in English, Greek, Russian and Arabic, on my back.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why should getting another tattoo when you're in the church become a problem??

I've never heard anyone saying something against tattoos, neither in my Catholic parish nor in the Baptist parish I used to go 2 years ago.

the thinking is, that after someone is chrismated, the body houses the Holy Spirit and becomes the temple of God. so some oppose tattoos because it's kinda like spraying graffiti inside of a Church.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Coptics often get crosses tattooed on their wrists. Beautiful tradition.
Love those tattoos they have - and the same with the Ethiopians in what they do:

Was just talking with my friends last night on the issue - as they were against their spouses doing so due to how they felt there were not "pretty tattoos" and I was telling them on how their ideas are skewed due to how their image of tattoo was so one-sided - and although they disagreed, I noted to them how there are many types of tattoos and that they are truly amazing when it comes to symbolism (more discussed in #12 / #19 /#20 , #122 #123 #124 #128 #130 #163 ). So many trip on it, yet the Torah itself never forbid tattoos as much as it forbid others cutting themselves for the dead...a common spiritual practice of cutting onself/shedding blood in order to call up the spirit of a deceased family member.....and we assume in our time that all markings on one's body is a sin, but those in Israel never had that kind of mindset since even the Lord himself noted often how he'd mark his people and he did so on more than one occasion. The folks over at the ministry of Sacred Ink have done a marvelous job of aiding others on the matter - as seen here at Tattoo And The Bible | Sacred Ink and (Im)Morality of Tattoos
https://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/h...lse&aff_id=0&locale=en_us&ui=1&os_ver=6.1.1.0</DIV>
I respect the Copts and the Ethiopians for not being concerned with how so many are concerned with seeing it and doing what do:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

Mikeb85

I have a question. I am considering joining the Eastern Orthodox Church, and I have two tattoos. They are small (one on my right wrist, the other just above my heart), but I was wondering, can I join the church if I have tattoos?

Our old parish priest had several tattoos, as did his sons, and I've also met monks with tattoos. So yes, you can join the church if you have tattoos. You can even get more if you want to.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

Of course you may! We have many wonderful people in Church with tattoos. Our reader (and soon to be deacon) as some sort of silly blue ghost tattoo on his arm.

While we welcome all, it needs to be gently but firmly communicated that Christianity calls us to abandon bad habits and change in Christ. In other words, you can come with tattoos, but you should avoid getting them once you're in the Church and a practicing Orthodox Christian.

It's the custom in some Oriental Orthodox Churches to get tattoos (such as crosses on the wrists.) One wouldn't exactly be looked down upon for these tattoos, but they're still inappropriate for a Christian to wear.

Am I saying that there are no practicing Orthodox Christians who get tattoos? No. But it's viewed as disrespectful to the body which is, of course, not ours but God's.

I also want to respond to the first response here. We're not ignorant if we disagree with one another. I happen to think that tattoos are distasteful, however I also think that if you want to get a tattoo, more power to you, just don't expect me to get one. We can have differing opinions without being uncivil, you know.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
it's viewed as disrespectful to the body which is, of course, not ours but God's.
How is it more disrespectful than ear piercing, haircuts, shaving, brushing your teeth, wearing a suit, washing, cutting your fingernails, etc.?

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I also want to respond to the first response here. We're not ignorant if we disagree with one another. I happen to think that tattoos are distasteful, however I also think that if you want to get a tattoo, more power to you, just don't expect me to get one. We can have differing opinions without being uncivil, you know.
I don't think that "ignore some of the very ignorant comments" means that anyone who disapproves of tattooing is ignorant. I would agree with Joseph that there there are some very ignorant arguments out there (on both sides of the argument). I can imagine that Turbo Qualls (not Turbo Qualis) is the recipient of plenty of that ignorance, which appears to be the context of Joseph's comment.

Reactions: Joseph Hazen
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can imagine that Turbo Qualls (not Turbo Qualis) is the recipient of plenty of that ignorance, which appears to be the context of Joseph's comment.

Would you believe I even googled his name to try to make sure I spelled it right? *hangs head in shame*

Reactions: Protoevangel
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't care for tattoos. I won't get into why I don't for I don't want to offend anybody who have them, (even though my hubby has one pre-Orthodox years). My hubby actually wants his removed, but we can't afford it...pretty expensive to remove a tattoo. I would just say I don't think the Church encourages it after you've become Orthodox, so I cannot agree with some people's comments in here appearing to say it's ok to continue getting them.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
(not adressing you, personally), but how is it any less Orthodox than getting 200$ foils at the salon?

I thought it had to do with permanent marks on the body?

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
the thinking is, that after someone is chrismated, the body houses the Holy Spirit and becomes the temple of God. so some oppose tattoos because it's kinda like spraying graffiti inside of a Church.

Really? Sorry to say that sounds very odd me.

I even know people who have let tattooed a roseryI the face of Christ or a cross after they've become Christians. (not specifically orthodox however, as I hardly know orthodox in real life)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,047.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think most of the canons relating to tattoos are directed to clergy, though I'm not really sure. I'm not into tats myself, and generally find them kind of ugly on most people (though there are some exceptions that rise to true art). I would never get them myself, excepting for one circumstance I would seriously consider them. That would be if Christians were under active and strong persecution by the authorities and under threat of martyrdom. In that situation I would seriously consider getting Coptic-style wrist tattoos so that I would be strong in the face of such persecution.

I think I also wouldn't let myself make a tattoo.
But I can't see why one shouldn't get one being a Christian, I'd he wants to-

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think I also wouldn't let myself make a tattoo.
But I can't see why one shouldn't get one being a Christian, I'd he wants to-
Well, some like to take six little words from Leviticus out of context when claiming that tattooing is verboten for Christians, then they will go ahead and trim (or shave) their beards and wear their cotton-polyester (or other blended fabric) outfits, which are both similarly banned in the very same chapter. Christians are not under the Mosaic law, though. The law of Sinai was a tutor for the Jewish people. That law was fulfilled by Christ. The sexual and ethical commandments that bind the Christian are also reflected in that law, but it would be a mistake to go back to it today, our Law is Christ. To look to the old law and apply it to today is a insidious form of Judaising, which opponents of tattooing (those who base their opposition on this verse, anyway), don't even recognize they are falling victim to.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I decided to look up and see what I could find on this issue. I found this:

Question:
What is our Church&#8217;s view on tattooing and body piercing?

Answer:
This is a very good question because it seems that people of every age and background are experiencing the sudden allure of tattoos and body piercing.

The word tattoo is derived from the Tahitian word tatay, meaning &#8220;to inflict wounds,&#8221; and was a form of self-mutilation practiced in association with either the death of a loved one or as a rite of passage at puberty. Body piercing and tattoos were common amongst many pagan cultures &#8211; even as far back as 5,000 years ago &#8211; until they were formally banned by the early Christian Church because it was considered to be a desecration of the body. Yet even before this, the Hebrews were cautioned by God against this blatant pagan practice. In the Book of Leviticus, God tells the people: &#8220;You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you&#8221; (Lev. 19:28). It just doesn&#8217;t get any planner than this.

In First Corinthians 6:19-20, Saint Paul teaches: &#8220;Do you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.&#8221; Therefore, if our body is not our own, but God&#8217;s, then we should make every effort to protect it and maintain it undefiled and pure. We must make every effort to treat our bodies as a temple and dwelling place of His glory.

Many young people will claim that it is their individual right to use their bodies to make fashion and/or personality statements with ink and metal. However, God has called us to a much higher fashion: to be &#8220;ambassadors for Christ&#8221; and to &#8220;present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy acceptable to God&#8230;and do not be conformed to this world&#8221; (Romans 12:1-2).

Christians, therefore, should not transform themselves according to the latest whims and fads of society, but rather conform to and abide by the will of God. Instead of using our bodies for artistic expression, make an expression of faith by maintaining your body pure, spotless, and undefiled as a true example of something which is much more than just skin deep!

Archangel Michael Orthodox Church - Questions & Answers

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To be fair, I have read differing views from other priests on this. I personally agree with the above post, but I this is not a huge issue for me and so I don't feel compelled to dig my heels in and argue to defend what I think is right. There are plenty of people who have tattoos who have gone to the churches I've attended and my own husband has one (pre-Orthodox days as I've said), and so, I don't really have a strong opinion on this. I did way back when I met my husband and I hated tattoos back then. ^_^ Now, not crazy about them, but not that upset over them to go crazy about it either. :D

Upvote 0