Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a question. I am considering joining the Eastern Orthodox Church, and I have two tattoos. They are small (one on my right wrist, the other just above my heart), but I was wondering, can I join the church if I have tattoos?

Reactions: seashale76

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hope so, since I have two large tattoos in occasionally very visible spots and I not only joined The Church but hope to be ordained a priest.

Look up Turbo Qualis if you're still concerned, and ignore some of the very ignorant comments some people will make about them.

Welcome to TAW, and (hopefully) The Church!

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow! Ignorant comments? First of all, some of us don't like tattoos, myself definitely included. We all have the right to disagree, but "ignorant" is not something I usually hear you say to people with different opinions, Rob. I'm surprised, a bit disappointed, too.

It's funny that this comes up. Kate was saying today when I got home from work how she has a pic of a fellow nursing student whom she knows who just had a baby with this guy. The guy was covered head to toe with tats. Our perception?---He looked like a total thug. Kate said, "why on Earth do people cover their bodies with this? It's disgusting. It's filthy-looking. I hate it."

It's an opinion. Not an ignorant one. I happen to share it. Now someone who tells me that they think tattoos are a lovely art form and an expressive human canvass of utter poetry, I will disagree and think they're way off, but ignorant? Nah.....In the end, some see it as a type of desecration of the flesh. The ancient Israelites did. And today, many conservative Jews forbid it. Seeing it as desecration of one's flesh is one opinion. Seeing it as perfectly fine and an art form is another opinion. Both have a rationale and a sensibility to them. But neither I consider ignorant. And frankly, I have yet to meet any ignoramouses on TAW really.

I hope so, since I have two large tattoos in occasionally very visible spots and I not only joined The Church but hope to be ordained a priest.

Look up Turbo Qualis if you're still concerned, and ignore some of the very ignorant comments some people will make about them.

Welcome to TAW, and (hopefully) The Church!

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a question. I am considering joining the Eastern Orthodox Church, and I have two tattoos. They are small (one on my right wrist, the other just above my heart), but I was wondering, can I join the church if I have tattoos?

Of course you can. There are far worse markings than tattoos, yet nobody turns people away because of them. Welcome to TAW.

Upvote 0
Dec 22, 2010
✟1,424.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

My wife has tatto. ;) Dont think that it can be serious problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes. :)

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a full back picked out for when I can get my money right. I've heard numerous people say that their priest didn't approve of them getting new ones, though, if there are no canons, I guess it's none of his concern.

Well that would depend. If he tells you you can't get them because he honestly believes you are doing so for a sinful reason - for example to draw attention to oneself, glorify oneself, or as some sort of pagan ritual - he can forbid it and we should listen. If he just doesn't care for them, no, it's not really any of his concern.

My priest doesn't like them, and would probably counsel not to get them, but more than just that he would discourage religious symbolis. Both of mine are from pre-Orthodox days, and both are religious symbols (a cross and a chi-rho inside a Trinity symbol) and he feels it's not appropriate, because, as he's fond of saying "would you want me to venerate it?" I suppose you'd have to determine whether or not that falls under his religious authority or if you find the argument persuasive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While I would never get a tattoo, I f you want to..feel free.
I think any alleged religious objection comes from cross contamination with the rabid fundegelical types.. "Tattoos??? They do THOSE in the parts of town where people DRINK BOOZE & listen to that demon music!!!"

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Both of mine are from pre-Orthodox days, and both are religious symbols (a cross and a chi-rho inside a Trinity symbol) and he feels it's not appropriate, because, as he's fond of saying "would you want me to venerate it?"
Well, does he want to venerate the cross you wear?

Fr. Hopko has mentioned this referring to icon t-shirts (I think icon tattoos would horrify him). But Christian lettering and the cross shape are not really the same as icons IMO.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Getting more afterwards could be an issue, but having them has no bearing on joining.

Why should getting another tattoo when you're in the church become a problem??

I've never heard anyone saying something against tattoos, neither in my Catholic parish nor in the Baptist parish I used to go 2 years ago.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Coptics often get crosses tattooed on their wrists. Beautiful tradition.

I have two tattoos currently. These were done before I was a Christian, and I treated my body as my own; as a toy to be used up and thrown away. There is one more tattoo I want to get, an Orthodox 3 bar cross with sponge, spear, and IC XC NI KA on my right arm.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why should getting another tattoo when you're in the church become a problem??

I've never heard anyone saying something against tattoos, neither in my Catholic parish nor in the Baptist parish I used to go 2 years ago.

It came up on here a few years ago and there were many more opposed than in favor and several were saying that it was forbidden, etc so I figured there could be problems with some priests wrt tattoos.

Upvote 0