Tattoos as a form of Christian outreach?

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Some people get tattoos based off their own hatred or paranoia. But there are those tattoos that I don't think Catholics and Christians alike would find too repulsive.

justin-weatherholtz.jpg

gods-child-jesus-angel-tattoo.jpg

Amazing-St-Michael-Tattoo-13.png

Upvote 0

dhornace

Sep 2, 2015
Montana
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've always looked at tattoos as a way of self expression rather than a conversation starter. Although they have served both purposes. I think if you know what you want and have a good artist do it, you will find yourself in a situation that you could open the conversation about your beliefs. If you get it done post it so we can see it please! :)

Upvote 0

GirlonFire89

Oct 8, 2015
Central Virginia
✟7,867.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
11207339_478568815658460_1430694055726680513_n.jpg

I just got this yesterday....
Now everytime i go to fill out a form or shake someones hand or give an offering
It will be seen. I want others to know who is important in my life and I am not ashamed
If you want to get one to be an example to the world...
I support you 100%

Reactions: Sumwear
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of my tattoos is a Celtic cross..
Mountain_Girl406: Well, there's something classy about a lot of the Celtic tattoo design patterns: they can be both traditional and ruggedly tribal at the same time, right?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
IF i ever marry again - and the right person - i thought of getting Bashert tatt'ed and it will cause questions.
[On my shoulder] and hopefully matching.
The answer - would be about unconditional love, God's destiny of marriage etc - in scriptures and so forth.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay, so I'm contemplating getting a visible, overtly Christian tattoo with the hopes that it will inspire people to approach me about my faith. It will not be accompanied by any others that would distract from the message I want to send. Part of me thinks this is a good idea, the other part is concerned about it being a form of vanity or attachment to my physical body, or that the few hundred dollars it would cost could go to better use for Him elsewhere. What say you? Any experiences or thoughts to share?

Just my two cents: sometimes I think overtly Christian tattoos do more to prevent conversation then provoke it. When people see a cross/crucifix tattoo they believe they know the story and don't feel compelled to ask questions.

I have a friend who became a Christian about nine years ago, did the whole evangelical altar call thing at my college ministry. About a month later he got his first tattoo, it was a grandfather clock along the side of his calf, the face of which read the time 9:20. That turned out to be a very provocative tattoo because everyone was wondering what the significance of it was, and why it read the time that it did. If/when they asked that, he would tell them that September 20th (9/20) was the date he became a Christian. I thought that was pretty clever.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a treble clef tattoo on my ankle. Almost no one ever notices it. It doesn't matter because I know it is there. Sometimes it isn't about vanity. Sometimes it is just for you.
sylverpiano:

So do you ever wonder about getting a bit more ink? is there a good parlor near you?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I personally always notice them, and I always ask, "Are you a Christian?" And then the conversation takes off from there.
This is why a lot of ppl get them; they are effective conversation starters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of my tattoos is a Celtic cross, visible sometimes, if I go sleeveless.
The Celtic cross design is quite striking, often.

Have any of your friends and family gotten a similar design done on themselves?

The Celtic tracery is often said to be derived from the Book of Kells illuminated Medieval Irish manuscripts.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, if this is your first tattoo, I suggested that you start with something small. The first tattoo I got was a Christian fish symbol on my right wrist.
Winter_Rose:

So did you start small with your ink, with maybe the intention of going bigger later?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes that's true, as it was my first tattoo I wanted something small and simple. :)

Winter_Rose:

Seems like you enjoyed doing it, anyway; and the Christian fish sign <>< is certainly a widely liked and used tattoo design.

Although I always think that the inward and spiritual is what faith is all about, yet the fish tattoo is certainly a visible commitment of one's wish to identify outwardly with Christianity.

So is it your only tattoo so far? and/or did you get or plan some other ink, faith based or otherwise?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Winter_Rose

Feb 7, 2016
United Kingdom
✟21,473.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The neck, head, face, and ribs hurt worst according to one of our tattooed friends. The chest I guess, is not too bad depending on where it is placed.

It can also depend on the person, some have a high pain tolerance whilst others may not. I've got a tattoo on my foot and that was quite painful.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Winter_Rose

Feb 7, 2016
United Kingdom
✟21,473.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Winter_Rose:

Seems like you enjoyed doing it, anyway; and the Christian fish sign <>< is certainly a widely liked and used tattoo design.

Although I always think that the inward and spiritual is what faith is all about, yet the fish tattoo is certainly a visible commitment of one's wish to identify outwardly with Christianity.

So is it your only tattoo so far? and/or did you get or plan some other ink, faith based or otherwise?

I've got 4 faith based tattoos; the Christian fish, a simple cross design, a heart with angel wings and a triquetra. The others are designs that I like and have a meaning behind them.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It can also depend on the person, some have a high pain tolerance whilst others may not. I've got a tattoo on my foot and that was quite painful.

Winter_Rose:

Tattoos used to be a man thing, years ago, but it seems like so many women now have proved that if anything they have any even higher pain tolerance than men or at least just as much; in North America at least, 59%--70% or more of parlor clients are now actually female, I think I read someplace; not sure if this is how it is also, over the Pond with you guys.

Upvote 0