Tattoos as a form of Christian outreach?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen.

However the Lord leads. But as I said, you better be in love with it and ready to die with it because witnessing is much deeper than a tattoo. We have to pray for Christ to open the way. Maybe a tatt will work, maybe it won't. It is much more than that. It is in the fruits we produce in our faith. A tattoo imo, should be an afterthought. Much like you would do after remodeling a room and looking to accessorize.

I was going to mention other churches. Kind of sounds like a Protestant thing that a younger youth leader would do.
I would not get a tattoo as an ice breaker or conversational piece.

Not that I have done it lately, much to my shame, but any witnessesing that I have done was more organic in that Christ opened the opportunity. Usually someone hurting and seeking hope.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is on my right arm. Celtic clover in green with script writing.

Have entertained the idea of a Celtic cross on my left arm.
Oh okay; just read your further post.

Yes, the Celtic patterns are a much used and much liked design source for tattoos.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She took a pic of it for the comedic value I'm sure. And it's not a tattoo she wants, it's a nose piercing. To which I vehemently objected. I told she has to wait till she's 18 can make her own decisions outside of my domain, but I'm hoping she won't want one by then.
Miss Shelby: Maybe you'll be strict and say, no, until she's 18? :)

Some moms would, anyway.

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Miss Shelby: Maybe you'll be strict and say, no, until she's 18? :)

Some moms would, anyway.
I definitely said no. I told her when she's 18 she can do it. I hope she'll realize by then how stupid it looks. As a way to rebel, she went and got her ears pierced again. (which makes them double pierced). If that's the way she rebels, I can handle it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I definitely said no. I told her when she's 18 she can do it. I hope she'll realize by then how stupid it looks. As a way to rebel, she went and got her ears pierced again. (which makes them double pierced). If that's the way she rebels, I can handle it.
Oh well; double pierced ears wouldn't really be regarded by some moms as rebelling, I suppose; seeing as so many moms have them also! :)

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh well; double pierced ears wouldn't really be regarded by some moms as rebelling, I suppose; seeing as so many moms have them also! :)
I know, right? That's exactly what I thought. In her mind she was rebelling. She stated as much. lol

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For whatever it's worth, I always try to talk people out of getting tattoos. And that comes exclusively from my own distaste for tattoos. I truly don't understand my generation's preoccupation with tattoos. Then again, I relate to basically nothing else of my generation either so that's no surprise.

Speaking only for myself, I truly can't think of any symbol in the entire world I love enough to have ritually scarred onto my body. If you guys can, whatever, that's your business. I don't fear needles, I just don't find tattoos attractive no matter what they are, where they're located or who has them.

Also, if you're attempting some type of outreach, surely there are other ways of evangelization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know, right? That's exactly what I thought. In her mind she was rebelling. She stated as much. lol
I guess I'm also thinking of a gramma who has continuously worn doubles in her lobes since around 1979 being baffled by any suggestion that it's somehow unusual... :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I was thumbing through a magazine at the store and had to take a picture of these featured tattoos. It made me think of this thread with the opposite intent. You'd have to be reallllly anti-catholic to want to wear these the rest of your life. There are some pretty tattoos out there but there are some hateful ones as well as these show. Sorry about the glare but I took a picture of a picture. Just wanted you all to see how far some people go. :eek:

image.jpg

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
..Although must say I am very, very choosy on what women choose in tattoos and where they choose to wear them. I see so many that just look like a graffitied wall. No rhyme or reason to it.
Michie: I see what you mean about being choosy, but then again it's also become thoroughly established as an apparently high priority choice, for so many women in North America to want to do (now 59%-70% of parlor clients are female).

Upvote 0