Tattoos as a form of Christian outreach?

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Okay, so I'm contemplating getting a visible, overtly Christian tattoo with the hopes that it will inspire people to approach me about my faith. It will not be accompanied by any others that would distract from the message I want to send. Part of me thinks this is a good idea, the other part is concerned about it being a form of vanity or attachment to my physical body, or that the few hundred dollars it would cost could go to better use for Him elsewhere. What say you? Any experiences or thoughts to share?
what are you thinking of getting? I've seen people who get their whole back covered with Fatima stuff, that's a bit much, but something noticeable and tasteful wouldn't be all that bad. I wouldn't count on people seeing it and directly asking about your faith, lots of people get crosses and what not, and it means nothing to them, but it could be a good conversation starter.

As an aside, (and when my daughter gets home maybe I'll post the pic) but she showed me a picture of a lunch lady at her school that has the word 'Dick' tattooed on her neck. LOL. I told shelby that's it's probably her husband, but still one does wonder.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like looking at tattoos. As far as getting one, it's not happening. I'm too fickle. I'd have one for a short while and then be making an appointment to have it lasered off. And that is much more painful, time consuming, and expensive than a tattoo.
Tattoos used to be a man thing years ago. But particularly since women started getting tattooed in huge numbers, many of the designs now are quite intricate and fine; and the standard of tattoo artistry that is demanded of clients keeps rising. It's probably a fact to say that women are especially choosy about the ink that they wear.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what are you thinking of getting? I've seen people who get their whole back covered with Fatima stuff, that's a bit much, but something noticeable and tasteful wouldn't be all that bad. I wouldn't count on people seeing it and directly asking about your faith, lots of people get crosses and what not, and it means nothing to them, but it could be a good conversation starter.

As an aside, (and when my daughter gets home maybe I'll post the pic) but she showed me a picture of a lunch lady at her school that has the word 'Dick' tattooed on her neck. LOL. I told shelby that's it's probably her husband, but still one does wonder.
Let's hope it does simply refer to her husband's name!

A lot of young ppl determine they want a tattoo when they turn 18; it's a sort of rite of passage at that age; sometimes it's done on a whim but it ought to be well planned. It might be that if your daughter is taking photos of ppl's tattoos she might even be thinking about it; if so, careful planning is so important.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have looked at the ink magazines and people on the street. There is just no way I'd do it. I came close to getting something put on the top of my foot once. Scroll work of flowers that was very intricate but backed out because I just know how fickle I am.

Tattoos used to be a man thing years ago. But particularly since women started getting tattooed in huge numbers, many of the designs now are quite intricate and fine; and the standard of tattoo artistry that is demanded of clients keeps rising. It's probably a fact to say that women are especially choosy about the ink that they wear.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have looked at the ink magazines and people on the street. There is just no way I'd do it. I came close to getting something put on the top of my foot once. Scroll work of flowers that was very intricate but backed out because I just know how fickle I am.
Yes, well foot is a very well favored placement. Particularly in summer I guess it's a way of combining smart footwear with the convenience of flip flops or whatever!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was looking at a sketch in black and grey that was very botanical. It was beautiful but I just do not trust myself to stay happy with it.
Yes, well foot is a very well favored placement. Particularly in summer I guess it's a way of combining smart footwear with the convenience of flip flops or whatever!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was looking at a sketch in black and grey that was very botanical. It was beautiful but I just do not trust myself to stay happy with it.
Sounds like you would really love to do it. But you're not quite sure whether in some years' time you'd still love having done it!

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
A lot of young ppl determine they want a tattoo when they turn 18; it's a sort of rite of passage at that age; sometimes it's done on a whim but it ought to be well planned. It might be that if your daughter is taking photos of ppl's tattoos she might even be thinking about it; if so, careful planning is so important.
She took a pic of it for the comedic value I'm sure. And it's not a tattoo she wants, it's a nose piercing. To which I vehemently objected. I told she has to wait till she's 18 can make her own decisions outside of my domain, but I'm hoping she won't want one by then.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She took a pic of it for the comedic value I'm sure. And it's not a tattoo she wants, it's a nose piercing. To which I vehemently objected. I told she has to wait till she's 18 can make her own decisions outside of my domain, but I'm hoping she won't want one by then.
Yes, well it's your call until she's 18! Many parlors won't do ink until 18, although often they also pierce, and lots of teens get ears, nose, etc. done before 18. As to whether it's 2 pairs of earrings, nose stud, etc., it's entirely your call before she is 18.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
One of my tattoos is a Celtic cross, visible sometimes, if I go sleeveless. I've had compliments on it, and it's companion Celtic design armband of four hounds, but I don't know if it's been a real witness tool. Inside it though, is a tiny heart stick figure, a heart with little arms, legs, and head. Michael Franti, a musician with a lyrical focus on peace, tolerance and love, used it in some album art.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of my tattoos is a Celtic cross, visible sometimes, if I go sleeveless. I've had compliments on it, and it's companion Celtic design armband of four hounds, but I don't know if it's been a real witness tool. Inside it though, is a tiny heart stick figure, a heart with little arms, legs, and head. Michael Franti, a musician with a lyrical focus on peace, tolerance and love, used it in some album art.
Celtic patterns (as in the Book of Kells, which I have seen in the Library of Trinity College, Dublin) are often an inspiration for a combination of firm, swirling tribal tattoo art and reference to Christian heritage.

So are you done getting tattooed yet?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

You're famous!! :)

Editted: wait, I bet you mean that it came from his album art, not that your tattoo was on his album...

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Celtic patterns (as in the Book of Kells, which I have seen in the Library of Trinity College, Dublin) are often an inspiration for a combination of firm, swirling tribal tattoo art and reference to Christian heritage.

So are you done getting tattooed yet?
Probably not, I have more on the to do list, but right now it's not a good use of financial resources :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Probably not, I have more on the to do list, but right now it's not a good use of financial resources :)
(Oh yes, who doesn't need to do financial planning? :) )

So maybe you have more specifically Celtic ink designs on the horizon for you? Celtic does seem to be a very strong design source for bold, swirling, tribal-like lines for armbands, shoulders, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jared R

Episcopalian
Aug 31, 2015
✟27,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would love to get some tattoos. That said, it's not an impulse I would ever indulge... I think the ubiquity of tattoos is a symptom of re-paganization. I think they look cool, but I don't think we should join in the trend. I don't raise a fuss over others getting them though.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
What cracks me up is some youth leaders in other Churches. They get tons of Christian themed tattoos. To impress the kids? I don't know. It starts looking silly after awhile though.

I was going to mention other churches. Kind of sounds like a Protestant thing that a younger youth leader would do.
I would not get a tattoo as an ice breaker or conversational piece.

Not that I have done it lately, much to my shame, but any witnessesing that I have done was more organic in that Christ opened the opportunity. Usually someone hurting and seeking hope.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Traditional Catholic art in the form of tattoos are usually popular. Although I'm not sure what type of witness or outreach it would produce as all sorts of people are in love with Catholic art for it's own sake. Personally, I would only get these tattoos if they have deep meaning for you. If they inspire you to produce the fruit of your faith. Because honestly, I think the only time you'll get questions that may lead someone into the Church concerning the tattoos is when you are actively doing something for others. Habitat for humanity, teaching a class at Church, serving food at a rescue mission, etc.

So make sure they inspire you as well. And PLEASE! Get a very good artist and make sure they are large enough so they do not turn to mush as you age and your arms are exposed to the sun. Not pretty when I see older people that look all smudged up with unreadable tattoos.

The artist is very important. Do copious research.

Upvote 0