Tattoos as a form of Christian outreach?

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so I'm contemplating getting a visible, overtly Christian tattoo with the hopes that it will inspire people to approach me about my faith. It will not be accompanied by any others that would distract from the message I want to send. Part of me thinks this is a good idea, the other part is concerned about it being a form of vanity or attachment to my physical body, or that the few hundred dollars it would cost could go to better use for Him elsewhere. What say you? Any experiences or thoughts to share?

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think you should get a tattoo purely for outreach purposes. It's cool if it turns into that, I suppose, and you aren't shoving it in peoples' faces (which by the sounds of it, you wouldn't). Ask yourself this: Why am I really getting this? Am I getting this because it means something significant and personal to me? Am I really ready to live with this for the rest of my life?

I did that when I got my first tattoo. It's not vanity if you get it because it means something very significant to you, after all. If you're doing it purely for shock value, then yeah probably some vanity there (unless perhaps you're making some kind of statement against how society views tattoo'd people, then it gets a bit murky).

You have to do it for you, imho. It's your skin, and the Bible isn't requiring you to do it, either.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not terribly concerned that I'll be mistaken for a criminal. I'm pretty clean cut, I think.

I am not all that find of needles (in fact, I hate them) so unless there is significant upside, I won't go through with it. I even have to force myself to give blood, and I don't do it nearly as often as I should.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay, so I'm contemplating getting a visible, overtly Christian tattoo with the hopes that it will inspire people to approach me about my faith. It will not be accompanied by any others that would distract from the message I want to send. Part of me thinks this is a good idea, the other part is concerned about it being a form of vanity or attachment to my physical body, or that the few hundred dollars it would cost could go to better use for Him elsewhere. What say you? Any experiences or thoughts to share?
Mike, some will see it and roll their eyes, some will be put off by it. Some will like it, and you might get approached by someone regarding religion. I think it all depends on your demeanor. I find tattoos off-putting, yet one of my best friends at work is heavily tattooed, but they're all 49er tattoos. He's very Catholic. Another good friend of mine is a Catholic evangelist, and he's got a few Christian tattoos. I remember, during my Navy days, one of the loan sharks in my division had his entire back tattooed with Our Lady of Guadalupe. He was ruthless in collecting money back, though never breaking bones, and such.

Personally, I wear a monstrance, sort of like Mother Angelica's, of EWTN, though much smaller. I recently found out that the statue imagery of St. Claire is with a monstrance. I wear it outside, and if someone has a comment, I respond. I know someone else who wears a St. Benedict crucifix. Wearing a crucifix is more likely to get a conversation going, IMHO.

Besides, if you don't like needles...

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do wear religious medals quite often, but never outside my shirt and I'm not shirtless all that often. I don't care for the look of medals outside the shirt...but then again, I'm not crazy about the look of tattoos either.

What did you do in the Navy?

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I do wear religious medals quite often, but never outside my shirt and I'm not shirtless all that often. I don't care for the look of medals outside the shirt...but then again, I'm not crazy about the look of tattoos either.

What did you do in the Navy?
I was a cook. I don't wear anything huge, or fancy. But it is noticeable, and it has been a conversation starter, at times. You could wear slogans on your shirt, too.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have never heard of a tatt being an outreach tool. You'll get comments such as nice tatt or whatever. What are you thinking of getting and where?

Tatts are very expensive especially if you plan on wearing a nice one the rest of your life. You could buy a water producing well in another country easily with that money. Buy Christmas for a family in need, pay for an elderly person's in home care that has nobody.

There is a lot you could do with that money that would be a bigger testament to your faith than wearing a tattoo. I have nothing against tattoos but wearing a t-shirt, jewelry, etc. is easier and cheaper. As Sylver said, tattoos are mostly for the person wearing them. But if you get one I want pics!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
People get all kinds of tattoos for all kinds of reasons.
Which leads me to wonder if people would even notice or assume you are a Christian on a tattoo alone.
Maybe they'll think you're into metal or something instead...which, come to think about it, could lead to very interesting discussions! :p

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the women in my RCIA class after entering the Church has a tattoo of a rosary put on her wrist and hand. My priest was not impressed by this to say the least. Lol

Mike, some will see it and roll their eyes, some will be put off by it. Some will like it, and you might get approached by someone regarding religion. I think it all depends on your demeanor. I find tattoos off-putting, yet one of my best friends at work is heavily tattooed, but they're all 49er tattoos. He's very Catholic. Another good friend of mine is a Catholic evangelist, and he's got a few Christian tattoos. I remember, during my Navy days, one of the loan sharks in my division had his entire back tattooed with Our Lady of Guadalupe. He was ruthless in collecting money back, though never breaking bones, and such.

Personally, I wear a monstrance, sort of like Mother Angelica's, of EWTN, though much smaller. I recently found out that the statue imagery of St. Claire is with a monstrance. I wear it outside, and if someone has a comment, I respond. I know someone else who wears a St. Benedict crucifix. Wearing a crucifix is more likely to get a conversation going, IMHO.

Besides, if you don't like needles...

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have never heard of a tatt being an outreach tool. You'll get comments such as nice tatt or whatever. What are you thinking of getting and where?

Tatts are very expensive especially if you plan on wearing a nice one the rest of your life. You could buy a water producing well in another country easily with that money. Buy Christmas for a family in need, pay for an elderly person's in home care that has nobody.

There is a lot you could do with that money that would be a bigger testament to your faith than wearing a tattoo. I have nothing against tattoos but wearing a t-shirt, jewelry, etc. is easier and cheaper. As Sylver said, tattoos are mostly for the person wearing them. But if you get one I want pics!

Great ideas, thanks! If I did get one, it would be two I guess, the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary inside each of my forearms.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Traditional Catholic art in the form of tattoos are usually popular. Although I'm not sure what type of witness or outreach it would produce as all sorts of people are in love with Catholic art for it's own sake. Personally, I would only get these tattoos if they have deep meaning for you. If they inspire you to produce the fruit of your faith. Because honestly, I think the only time you'll get questions that may lead someone into the Church concerning the tattoos is when you are actively doing something for others. Habitat for humanity, teaching a class at Church, serving food at a rescue mission, etc.

So make sure they inspire you as well. And PLEASE! Get a very good artist and make sure they are large enough so they do not turn to mush as you age and your arms are exposed to the sun. Not pretty when I see older people that look all smudged up with unreadable tattoos.

Great ideas, thanks! If I did get one, it would be two I guess, the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary inside each of my forearms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I like it. I'm not going to tell someone else that I think they should permanently mark their body, but it's something I would do. On my right forearm I want to get, in fancy writing, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner," with a cross on each end. On my left forearm I want a version of this:

images

colorful_jesus_crucified_on_a_cross_forearm_tattoo.jpg

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whatever ppl's doctrinal framework, faith based designs of various sorts are proven conversation-starters.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a treble clef tattoo on my ankle. Almost no one ever notices it. It doesn't matter because I know it is there. Sometimes it isn't about vanity. Sometimes it is just for you.
Whether or not ppl notice, it's a very widely used placement.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good ideas, both.

East Cost? West Cost? What ships were you attached to?
Strictly West Coast, my only ship was CV64 USS Constellation, aircraft carrier. Cooking for 6000 men (on deployment) 4 meals a day...and I couldn't get a job in a hotel restaurant when I left...

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like it. I'm not going to tell someone else that I think they should permanently mark their body, but it's something I would do. On my right forearm I want to get, in fancy writing, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner," with a cross on each end. On my left forearm I want a version of this:

images

colorful_jesus_crucified_on_a_cross_forearm_tattoo.jpg
A lot of Christians find faith based tattoos are a proven conversation starter, right?

Upvote 0