Tamir Rice's Family to Receive $6 Million From Cleveland

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Tamir Rice's Family to Receive $6 Million From Cleveland
The family of Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old boy whose fatal shooting by the Cleveland police in 2014 prompted national outrage, is set to receive $6 million from the city in a settlement announced Monday in federal court records.

The settlement, which would be the latest in a series of seven-figure payouts by major American cities to the families of African-Americans who died at the hands of officers, spares Cleveland the possibility of a federal civil rights trial that could have brought new attention to Tamir's death and to the city's troubled police force. It also allows the city to avoid the possibility of an even larger judgment.
While no amount of money can replace a loved one, holding the city accountable for placing an officer who had no business being on the street is at least reassuring.

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So the kid who waved around a real looking gun and gets shot by a cop; family gets millions. Meanwhile, the kid holding a Wii controller and was shot by a cop, his family gets squat. The officer in the latter case doesn't even get charged.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-cop-wont-be-charged-shooting-death-teen-n158306
Why would the family in the second case not be entitled to also file a lawsuit? They also seem deserving of justice. What's preventing them from civil action?

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
So the kid who waved around a real looking gun and gets shot by a cop; family gets millions. Meanwhile, the kid holding a Wii controller and was shot by a cop, his family gets squat. The officer in the latter case doesn't even get charged.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-cop-wont-be-charged-shooting-death-teen-n158306
Tamir was not waving anything around when he was shot. The officer who shot him was also fired from his previous job and considered incompetent, yet he was still hired by the Cleveland Police. Was the kid shot in Georgia within seconds of officers pulling up in a car? Was the officer that fatally shot the kid fired from a police department previously with a memo saying he should never be on the street?

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tamir was not waving anything around when he was shot. The officer who shot him was also fired from his previous job and considered incompetent, yet he was still hired by the Cleveland Police. Was the kid shot in Georgia within seconds of officers pulling up in a car? Was the officer that fatally shot the kid fired from a police department previously with a memo saying he should never be on the street?

No to all, but the officer in Georgia shot a child holding a.......Wii controller. The Cleveland officer should've been barred from law enforcement after his first firing; the one in Georgian definitely should have been fired for shooting a kid holding a video game controller.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
No to all, but the officer in Georgia shot a child holding a.......Wii controller. The Cleveland officer should've been barred from law enforcement after his first firing; the one in Georgian definitely should have been fired for shooting a kid holding a video game controller.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tamir was not waving anything around when he was shot.

The police did not just see a black kid and decide to shoot him. They were called because Rice was brandishing what appeared to be an actual weapon. The video clearly shows he began to reach for it as the police arrived. When this occurred I stated the police acted far too aggressively. But I also stated they were certainly not solely to blame for the event.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The police did not just see a black kid and decide to shoot him. They were called because Rice was brandishing what appeared to be an actual weapon. The video clearly shows he began to reach for it as the police arrived. When this occurred I stated the police acted far too aggressively. But I also stated they were certainly not solely to blame for the event.

I saw the video, and this kid had no chance. The way the police pulled up to him... there was nothing the kid could have done to not get shot. It happened so quickly, the cops screeched to a halt SWAT-Rambo style and shot this kid within 1 second of getting there. We the public have bought into this fiction of "Well he reached for a gun thus we had no choice but to shoot him..." sorta arguments and it is bs. As someone who is former military and trained in tactics, this kid should have NEVER been shot. Police should have pulled up to him from a stand off distance of 75 ft, they should have taken up position behind their car with weapons drawn, they should have directed this kid via their bullhorns. But no, that didn't happen. They went all SWAT-Rambo on this kid.

If I had a nickel for every single time I've seen a kid aged 6 to 14 years old was playing with a toy gun, I'd have a lot of nickels.

Let me put this argument another way. How "trained" are you as a law enforcement professional when you kill a child with a toy gun. I mean, what's the difference between all your "training" if it results in you shooting kids because they have a gun in their hands. Heck, we could just give any idiot a gun and say, "Hey, if anyone has a gun or looks like they have a gun or doesn't follow your directions perfectly, just shoot to kill."

Kid should have never been shot. Police are to blame here.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I love you my brothers and sisters, but this case is just soooo wrong from the git-go.

This 12 year old boy should've never ever been shot, let alone be killed.

It is wrong wrong wrong.

He was 12.

He's dead.

The circumstances surrounding his family after the police officer shot him is despicable.

God have mercy.

What a horrific and unnecessary tragedy this entire scenario is.

Praying for this family.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone who is former military and trained in tactics, this kid should have NEVER been shot. Police should have pulled up to him from a stand off distance of 75 ft, they should have taken up position behind their car with weapons drawn, they should have directed this kid via their bullhorns. But no, that didn't happen. They went all SWAT-Rambo on this kid.

I agree, and said the same back when this event occurred. However it is also undeniably true if Rice had not been out in public brandishing a weapon no one would have called the police in response to his presence, and the police would have paid him no attention.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There's definitely blame that needs to fall on both sides in the Tamir case.

You're absolutely correct :)

However, these cases immediately get turned into a "police vs. citizens", "black vs. white", "republican vs. democrat", "pro-gun vs. anti-gun" battle. ...the details, unfortunately, become secondary. We can thank social media for a lot of that. With things like twitter, the first exposure a person has to the case information isn't a verified news report, it's the emotional ramblings of a twitter idealist, so by the time actual info comes out, people have already picked "which side of the battle" they're on.

Of course, the "what if this was your son" (followed by an innocent angelic picture of the kid...to imply that he was mommy's little angel and couldn't possibly be guilty of doing anything wrong) logic typically comes out of the left...

And the "well, they shouldn't have been committing a crime" (no matter how minor) justification for the police action comes out of the right...

I seriously think it's sad that society has devolved into a "how can we use something to gain emotional support for our cause" mentality....it's especially sad when it's a full blown tragedy that becomes the fodder for their proselytizing.

We saw it a lot with the topic of school shootings...both sides would use them as debate fuel, and then accuse each other of acting in bad taste for doing it.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I still don't understand your claim that the family in the second case will get 'squat' What prevents them from taking civil action if they choose?

Upvote 0