Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Our laptop has a bad battery, messed up screen, and is generally a pain in the butt to try to use around our kids. I'm considering putting an inexpensive tablet on our Christmas list this year, but I have no idea where to start. We would probably just use it for internet access and photo storage, maybe music. What kind of tablet do you have and about how much did it cost? Do you like it? Any issues with it? Links? (if allowed)

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally I'd stick to a laptop or maybe have both. We own a Ipad and I know others who own other tablets. The thing is that they are not really like a laptop in anyway. You are more limited on what you can do. Not having a mouse and keyboard you can get used to though. We bought a case for our Ipad and it comes with a keyboard in the case. It, just like the Ipad, is rechargeable. Most apps that resemble anything like a program on the computer cost money. And theres easy way to transfer files from a tablet to a computer. Not as easy as doing it on a pc/laptop at least. Though obviously photo storage, music...etc are not an issue. Its like having a bigger Ipod. If you go with Apple make sure its a newer model like the Ipad 4 or Ipad Air because the older models don't have enough memory and alot of newer apps won't work on them.

And realize that if your tablet breaks, you lose everything on it. And when your battery goes (in the case of an Ipad), you only have two choices. Buy a new one or send it to Apple for a few hundred to get the battery replaced. Oh and if you do that they want you to reset your Ipad. As in your basically reformatting it so its like new and has no data on it. Probably because they don't want their workers stealing your info. I'd also buy backup battery ( http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=backup+battery ). Most are pretty much the same. Just different sizes, weights, colors...etc. But they all plug into a wall to charge, then after you plug it into your device to use that battery life. Works with most all devices. Mine works with my Ipad, Ipod, wifes Samsung Galaxy 3 phone...ect. So it has multiple uses. Also check a batteries MaH. They higher the number, the more power it can hold.

Also buy a screen protector by Zagg. I know their are cheaper ones out there, but they are cheaply made and don't do well. Zagg I've been using for years. You can scratch a screw against it heavily and it will not scratch. Its made using the same tech they coat helicopter blades with. Obviously with Apple you need Itunes program installed on a computer though. Technically you don't need it, but if you want to add music, photos and so on you need it. Other then that the Ipad itself can do most anything itself. Updates...etc. Every tablet has its pros and cons. I'm not sure if any use Android but I really enjoy Android over IoS (apple). Mainly because apps on Android get updates sooner then IoS. You can print from an Ipad, but sometimes older printers have issues with tablets. Having a touch screen is easier alot of times, especially if you like to draw. The more you spend on a tablet, often you get more in return. Ours was $500 I think at the time.

Other random things.... tablets do not have CD/DVD drives. So your out of luck on that one. They usually lack ports like USB or most any memory card slot. Also read up on what your tablet offers in term of internet. Some require you sign up for a contracts for satellite access (internet connection). And sometimes the contract cost way to much for what little MB per month you get. Thankfully wifi is always available to use. Assuming you are near a wifi connection. Most places I have been have them (hotels, restaurants...etc). One other thing is email, with Ipad you can connect lots of email accounts together. For example on our Ipad the three family emails are all logged in and it sets it all up so we check all inboxes at once. So instead of having to login to each mailbox and go through the emails account by account, its all combined. Makes it wonderful. One word of advice though, never do a tablet update right away. Sometimes there are bugs, wait to see what others have said online about the update. Then update your tablet if all seems ok to do.

Sorry for the random facts and stuff. Trying to type as I recall things.

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I also have an iPad, an older model. Honestly, I don't use it anymore. Everything I want to do, I either choose a laptop for the keyboard and full features, ports, etc., or my smartphone because it's more portable than the iPad. A tablet is not really a laptop substitute, in all the ways as has already been described.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I really only get on our computer a few times a month. Mostly, I use my phone for Internet access. I do have two desktops, but they are old and we didn't set them up in the office. We just really don't have time for the computer anymore.

Upvote 0

annafullofgrace

His blood sets me free.
Dec 28, 2014
USA
✟44,039.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We have two iPad Airs. Best investment ever. We use them for many things, such as schooling apps (it works great for my daughters speech therapy apps, dyslexia help, audio books as well as math). My husband uses his with his home music studio. We use it for pictures and videos. I use the kindle app and read a ton-which works great because I can change the size to help me see better.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a Samsung Note 10.1 Its at least a year old. Its more portable than a laptop, but its not nearly as powerful. If you have to do any kind of data entry, its a pain in the batooty. I use it for work, to do inventory on the fly, but I end up re-entering the data on my computer at home. My son loves to watch movies on it when we have long waits. The pen is awesome for taking digital notes. I use it for my grocery lists, and notes at church.

If it is your only pc i would suggest getting a laptop or desktop. Tablets are fun, but they are not as functional as full computers.
Do you get along okay with the keyboard? I find that the keys have to be big enough because of my big hands and fingers! :)

Upvote 0