Dec 29, 2013
✟343,063.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Nice to see print media still pays, I guess.
He also last year wrote a book on the Black experience in the United States, based on his own feelings, called "Between the World and Me", which ended up becoming a major hit.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
He's writing the new run of Black Panther for marvel and it's pretty good.

Huh, I thought he was just a journalist and "traditional" writer. Pretty cool to see him crossing over to comics. :D

He also last year wrote a book on the Black experience in the United States, based on his own feelings, called "Between the World and Me", which ended up becoming a major hit.

...And, for those wondering why a black writer and activist who does a lot of talking about things like white privilege and reparations might not want everyone knowing where he lives, and might be paranoid of backlash... :sigh:

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Never heard of it or him. Thanks for the context. Doesn't sound like one I'll be putting on my Christmas list though., thh.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Huh, I thought he was just a journalist and "traditional" writer. Pretty cool to see him crossing over to comics. :D

...And, for those wondering why a black writer and activist who does a lot of talking about things like white privilege and reparations might not want everyone knowing where he lives, and might be paranoid of backlash... :sigh:
Well, George Zimmerman IS selling his killing gun...

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And, for those wondering why a black writer and activist who does a lot of talking about things like white privilege and reparations might not want everyone knowing where he lives, and might be paranoid of backlash...

Well then I guess he better find a secret bunker in the Rockies.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Well then I guess he better find a secret bunker in the Rockies.
Because an anonymous white male on the Internet is the same as a best-selling African American author discussing contentious issues of race, class and politics.
Cookie-Monster-2-icon.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because an anonymous white male on the Internet is the same as a best-selling African American author discussing contentious issues of race, class and politics.

Your post doesn't make sense in light of the above conversation.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Um, you're making me agree with @nightflight, so please stop upsetting me. Short of a fortified bunker somewhere remote, the guy is going to have to deal with people eventually.

Is he really so famous and controversial that standard security precautions won't be enough to keep him safe? If he can afford a multimillion dollar house, he can afford a security service. I really know nothing about the guy, but from what I'm reading here, mayhap he's taking himself just a little too seriously?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Um, you're making me agree with @nightflight, so please stop upsetting me. Short of a fortified bunker somewhere remote, the guy is going to have to deal with people eventually.

Is he really so famous and controversial that standard security precautions won't be enough to keep him safe? If he can afford a multimillion dollar house, he can afford a security service. I really know nothing about the guy, but from what I'm reading here, mayhap he's taking himself just a little too seriously?
Of course he's going to deal with people, but having your private life remain private when you're a person that writes about contentious issues is not asking much. Being able to afford his home does not mean he can afford security service, the cost of living in NY is considerably higher than other parts of the country. Higher salaries do not mean everyone can have extra security.

I think you're mistaking fame with celebrity. Fame is about being well-known, celebrity is about high visibility. Fame does not mean one should accept being a celebrity. One should be able to win awards and do groundbreaking work without forfeiting their privacy, especially if you're not looking for celebrity. He is not an actor, his visibility is not important to his fame (although I think paparazzi should leave actors alone); in any case, actors are not the same as writers. I think the people that shrug their shoulders are thinking this is like posting a story about Brad Pitt, when it's really like posting a story about George Tiller.

It should be no surprise that this story comes from the New York Post (Bill O'Reilly attacking George Tiller comes to mind). The New York Post ran this story because he attacks the social/racial/economic structure of this country, the story is political, not informational.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

It's his first comic and it shows. I want to like it but it's missing something, the dialog feels wooden.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wish I liked comics, I really enjoy comic book cartoons when I was younger, but I never got on the comic book train.
Well, there's never a time like today to give the hobby a shot again.
Check out: https://www.comixology.com/free-comics?list341_pg=2

Sign up, it's free. The above link is to the "free comics" page. Anything you purchase can be viewed in your browser, in addition and well... much more conveniently if you have a Smartphone/Tablet/Kindle Fire you can download an app and read the comics on those devices. There's no need to worry about small text, the app has a feature called "guided view" it'll show you one frame at a time for easy reading, turning the feature on and off (so that you can zoom you and get a look at the whole page) is as easy as double tapping on the screen.

Comixology was bought out a few years ago by Amazon so if you have an Amazon account you can use that to login to Comixology and it'll already have your payment info.

One of the benefits of the site is you will see comics here that you won't see in your average comic book store. Independent publishers, even self published stuff.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0