Syria: Broken Nation

wn123455

Sep 14, 2013
✟16,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This number has been given by a credible source (Syrian Network for Human Rights - used by the UN as well) who detail their methodology and I should just forget that because a random person on the internet told me it's hugely exaggerated without providing any proof? Riiiiight. Maybe it helps you sleep better at night when you justify your support for the unjustifiable (i.e. regime and its allies) but I can do no such thing.

Oh great, the only two sieges enforced by the rebels (as a reaction to the sieges of Sunni towns) have been broken. Now let's hope that the 49/50 remaining sieges enforced by the regime and its allies are also lifted (as well as the 1/50 enforced by ISIS).

Let's not forget to put things in perspective:

"The price of rice offers a measure of the relative severity of the different sieges: a kilogram in rebel besieged Kefraya is $1.25. In ISIS besieged Deir Ezzor, it’s $5. In regime besieged Madaya it’s $256." The UN repeats mistakes of the past in Madaya
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/40na4d/civilians_in_madaya_tell_aj_that_rebels_are/

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Below is aerial drone footage of Homs, Syria. If I recall correctly it was once a city housing more than a million people.

Somebody turned it into this:

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Below is aerial drone footage of Homs, Syria. If I recall correctly it was once a city housing more than a million people.

Somebody turned it into this:

It's a terrible war that they've got going on there. Thankfully the war in Homs is over, I hope it ends in the rest of the country very soon.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Rebel held areas have been largely depopulated, but guess where the people are fleeing to? Government held areas.

I haven't heard of that either, but Sunni civilians have certainly fled to government controlled areas, that's a fact.

Do you actually think that this means the Sunni civilians prefer Assad to the rebels, the man who has killed ~200k of their Sunni civilian brethren? This is typically what Assadist/Kremlin trolls say on social media, but it's hilarious how they ignore the fact that they're fleeing from the onslaught (by the regime) they know will be coming once their towns are liberated from the regime!

"In areas where Assad’s troops have fled, the regime launched relentless barrel bombing campaigns aimed at making life unbearable for civilians under rebel control and preventing the opposition from providing services that the state would normally offer, prompting civilians to flee to regime-held areas.

“People are fleeing to the places where the bombing is originating,” said Khaddour. “It’s clearer for people because there is a state. The regime is a source of violence, but people go there to avoid the violence.”"

Syria approaching de facto partition amid Assad military setbacks

Roughly 30,000 civilians have fled the province in the past three days, rescue workers said.....But the majority were escaping their newly freed city because they knew Assad’s revenge for losing Idlib was about to rain down on them.
Civilians In Syrian Rebel-Controlled Idlib Pay For Freedom From Assad With Barrel Bombs, Al Qaeda

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private

"The accusations enraged Abdulrahman. "When Madaya goes hungry, we go hungry," he says. "These are vicious lies." VICE News spoke with another woman who claimed to be at the barricades that day. Although it was impossible to verify her claims, she said that Hezbollah fighters — who can be seen in the video frame — told women to condemn the rebels and praise Assad in exchange for food and safe passage from the town."

"VICE News also spoke with aid workers at the Doctors Without Borders-affiliated field hospital in Madaya, who reported no interference from Abdulrahman's men in the dispensation of aid"

Exclusive: Meet the Syrian Rebel Commander in the Besieged City of Madaya

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟277,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
“People are fleeing to the places where the bombing is originating,” said Khaddour. “It’s clearer for people because there is a state. The regime is a source of violence, but people go there to avoid the violence.”"

The government can protect the civilians under its control far better than the rebels can. We can indeed see that in the way that people, regardless of their professed political opinions are voting with their feet. If the rebels can't protect the people in the territory that hold, they're certainly in no position to govern. It seems that Syria, if it is going to be rebuilt, must be rebuilt within the existing political framework.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
With the regime & allies surrounding the rebel-held/Sunni part of Aleppo on 3 sides now and intensifying its attacks, there has been an exodus to Turkey. In the video below, you can hear the people blaming Russia, Iran, Assad, Hezbollah, Shi'a fighters, etc. Also asking where the Arab countries, Turkey, and the Muslims are to help them.

See the sea of people:

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
I know I'm posting a lot, but the past few weeks have been quite alarming (so in that sense, I'm not posting enough):

"If Aleppo falls, Syria’s vicious war will take a whole new turn, one with far-reaching consequences not just for the region but for Europe too. The latest government assault on the besieged northern Syrian city, which has caused tens of thousands more people to flee in recent days, is also a defining moment for relations between the west and Russia, whose airforce is playing a key role...."

What happens next in Aleppo will shape Europe’s future

If the world had just acted when Bashar al Assad used chemical weapons on a village in 2013 (which the article correctly says was a defining moment), we wouldn't be in this position today. We wouldn't have the ISIS we have today, there would be no Assad continuing in his destruction which has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, the refugee crisis wouldn't be nearly as bad. It's not even a "hindsight is 20/20" moment. That's what hurts more. But God is sufficient for us.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just as it was before WW2, the people who counsel a stand against the aggressors run smack up against a large part of the populace that says it's not going to matter, that war is always wrong, that someone will die, etc.

A strong leader SOMEWHERE could have made a difference, but none did and none are likely to, because that would bring criticism. In addition, it seems almost impossible for the nation or nations who come to the rescue to avoid being called invaders by many of those whom they're coming to help.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Just as it was before WW2, the people who counsel a stand against the aggressors run smack up against a large part of the populace that says it's not going to matter, that war is always wrong, that someone will die, etc.

Yep. Most parts of society in the West have been against military intervention in Syria at one point or another despite having every reason to intervene (e.g. genocide and chemical weapons). The ones who have annoyed me a lot are those who were so vocally against foreign intervention in Syria (particularly western) but strangely go silent when it comes to Russia and Iran intervening in Syria. They also seemed to support fighting ISIS (if that's acceptable, so should've been the fight against Assad).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
"And contrary to some pundits, who hailed the Russian intervention as the best chance to check the expansion of IS, Washington knows all too well that the result of the Russian campaign is the strengthening of the jihadist group in central Syria in the short term. This is a price Washington seems willing to pay for the sake of keeping the Geneva process alive.

The bankruptcy of U.S. policy goes deeper. The United States has already conceded key points about Assad’s future — concessions that Russia and the regime have been quick to pocket, while giving nothing in return. In the lead-up to and during the first days of the Geneva talks, it became clear that the United States is putting a lot more pressure on the opposition than it does on Russia, let alone Assad......The result is a widespread and understandable feeling of betrayal in the rebellion, whose U.S.-friendly elements are increasingly losing face within opposition circles."

Obama’s Disastrous Betrayal of the Syrian Rebels

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
The world is so apathetic despite talking big. We have failed Syria.

"Muhammad Darwish, one of the dentists, doesn't know why they wouldn't take 12-year-old Aula Ahmad Murad, who is on the brink of death by starvation. In a video taken inside the clinic in February, she trembles as she is held upright, barely able to stand on her own. Her skin is stretched drum-tight across her face, and her tiny body is tensed in pain.

"She is suffering from severe malnutrition," Darwish said. "It's clear she is in serious pain. Her bones are brittle due to the lack of basic vitamins and proteins in her diet. She has been living off just rice or bulgur wheat, and has been bedridden for a month.

"She needs to leave the town immediately. We've contacted all the humanitarian organizations but there's no response. We try to help her, and hope in Allah.""

‘They Will Die There': Video Shows Starvation Inside Madaya Clinic Run by a Vet

I don't know if this is in Madaya, but it's somewhere in Syria:

More Syrian children die as Assad's sieges intensify

Link also says that 49 of the 52 sieges (94%) are enforced by the regime/allies.

"The price of rice offers a measure of the relative severity of the different sieges: a kilogram in rebel besieged Kefraya is $1.25. In ISIS besieged Deir Ezzor, it’s $5. In regime besieged Madaya it’s $256." The UN repeats mistakes of the past in Madaya

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟277,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yep. Most parts of society in the West have been against military intervention in Syria at one point or another despite having every reason to intervene (e.g. genocide and chemical weapons).

Those aren't reasons to intervene. The notion that humanitarian considerations alone can justify military intervention is a relic of the '90s.

The ones who have annoyed me a lot are those who were so vocally against foreign intervention in Syria (particularly western) but strangely go silent when it comes to Russia and Iran intervening in Syria.

The difference is that Russia has permission to intervene, the US does not. As for Iran, how can you expect the Iranians to be indifferent to a conflict that reaches right up to their borders? Anyways, at least Russian airstrikes are producing results on the ground. Your own posts confirm that. Their main point seems to be that the government is winning and the rebels are losing. To dwell on that so much seems rather masochistic.

The US has been lobbing bombs for years and what has ever come of it?

We have failed Syria.

You certainly have.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Those aren't reasons to intervene. The notion that humanitarian considerations alone can justify military intervention is a relic of the '90s.

"The Genocide Convention, which the U.S. and Syria have ratified, requires state parties to act towards “preventing and punishing genocide.”

Syria's Civil War Has Become a Genocide

It was the reason given for fighting against ISIS (because of the threat of genocide against the Yazidis...and Christians, if I remember correctly).

The difference is that Russia has permission to intervene, the US does not.

By the dictator who is only there because of "99%" votes in favor of him (with supposedly a 99% voter turn-out) after his dictator father came into power through the military coup and also quashed a rebellion by killing thousands? I mean, no one in their right mind believes he actually won those "elections".

The majority (most Sunnis) do not want him. And that is who Russia is also helping to kill off.

As for Iran, how can you expect the Iranians to be indifferent to a conflict that reaches right up to their borders?

It's obvious Iran (which does not border Syria) supports the Alawite Shi'as and doesn't want the Sunni majority to take back their country from their oppressors. The rebels didn't do anything to the Iranians until Iran started sending IRG to prop Assad up to prevent his fall (and also has been sending Afghan and Pakistani Shi'a fighters to Syria to fight too)....and even that is within Syria, not inside Iran.

Anyways, at least Russian airstrikes are producing results on the ground. Your own posts confirm that.

Not against ISIS; my own posts confirm that (they are actually strengthening ISIS).

Their main point seems to be that the government is winning and the rebels are losing. To dwell on that so much seems rather masochistic.

Actually the main point is that the world stands silently as there is a very real genocide going on and civilians are bearing the brunt of the violence which you defend (again, if you missed it, Assad and allies have killed at least 96% of the civilians killed thus far at nearly 200k (let alone the massacres of Sunni civilians which Assad didn't allow access to)). I'm sure you'd rather I stop showing the atrocities of Assad, but that's not going to happen.

The US has been lobbing bombs for years and what has ever come of it?

Way less harm to civilians than what has come out of Russia's involvement. Russia is strengthening ISIS, targeting rebels, and killing more civilians than ISIS (and more than they kill ISIS). The US, while being wrong about several things regarding Syria (targeting rebels sometimes, lack of intervention, putting more pressure on the defenders of the majority of Syria than on the killers of the majority of Syria, etc.), has at least targeted ISIS quite a bit unlike Russia.

You certainly have.

Quite a bit less than you, though, since I'm not defending the genocidal dictator or his equally evil allies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
"Washington knows all too well that the result of the Russian campaign is the strengthening of the jihadist group in central Syria in the short term."
Obama’s Disastrous Betrayal of the Syrian Rebels

2016-01-01-airstrikes.png

US-led airstrikes against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq – interactive

Pink marks are coalition airstrikes (mainly in ISIS-held territory), yellow marks are Russian airstrikes (mainly in rebel-held territory). Russia exclusively there to provide air support to Syrian government forces in their struggle against ISIS....LOL.

More Russian lies:

Yeah, hundreds of civilians just happen to randomly drop dead at the same time Russia drops its cluster munitions. Speaking of which....

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
More western voices:

"Outgoing French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius has lashed out at his American allies over what he considers insufficient action on Syria — the latest fallout after peace talks in Geneva halted in the face of a government offensives in Aleppo and elsewhere in the country...."
French Foreign Minister Quits, Lashes Out at Obama on Syria; French foreign minister steps down with criticism of US resolve over Syria

"What Russia's doing is directly enabling ISIL," the envoy, Brett McGurk, told a hearing of the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, using an acronym for Islamic State. Russian airstrikes boost Islamic State in Syria, says U.S. envoy

“We have been, in the past few days, not just appalled but horrified by what has been caused in the way of human suffering for tens of thousands of people by bombing – bombing primarily from the Russian side,” Merkel said

The German foreign minister, Frank-Walter Steinmeier, also criticised the attacks on Aleppo: “The dramatic pictures reaching us from the Syrian-Turkish border show one thing: those who think they can force a military solution to the conflict in Syrian are wrong”, he told Spiegel Online.
Syria: Angela Merkel 'horrified' by suffering under Russian airstrikes

More Western countries/politicians weigh in:

Laurent Fabius, the French Foreign Minister, said France condemned “the Syrian regime’s brutal offensive with support from Russia to surround and suffocate Aleppo”

US State Department spokesman John Kirby said Russian air strikes targeted opponents of President Assad, rather than Islamic State militants.

Syria civil war: President Assad’s forces cut off last rebel supply line to Aleppo raising fears of huge humanitarian crisis

Upvote 0

wn123455

Sep 14, 2013
✟16,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"The Genocide Convention, which the U.S. and Syria have ratified, requires state parties to act towards “preventing and punishing genocide.”

Syria's Civil War Has Become a Genocide

It was the reason given for fighting against ISIS (because of the threat of genocide against the Yazidis...and Christians, if I remember correctly).

By the dictator who is only there because of "99%" votes in favor of him (with supposedly a 99% voter turn-out) after his dictator father came into power through the military coup and also quashed a rebellion by killing thousands? I mean, no one in their right mind believes he actually won those "elections".

The majority (most Sunnis) do not want him. And that is who Russia is also helping to kill off.

It's obvious Iran (which does not border Syria) supports the Alawite Shi'as and doesn't want the Sunni majority to take back their country from their oppressors. The rebels didn't do anything to the Iranians until Iran started sending IRG to prop Assad up to prevent his fall (and also has been sending Afghan and Pakistani Shi'a fighters to Syria to fight too)....and even that is within Syria, not inside Iran.

Not against ISIS; my own posts confirm that (they are actually strengthening ISIS).

Actually the main point is that the world stands silently as there is a very real genocide going on and civilians are bearing the brunt of the violence which you defend (again, if you missed it, Assad and allies have killed at least 96% of the civilians killed thus far at nearly 200k (let alone the massacres of Sunni civilians which Assad didn't allow access to)). I'm sure you'd rather I stop showing the atrocities of Assad, but that's not going to happen.

Way less harm to civilians than what has come out of Russia's involvement. Russia is strengthening ISIS, targeting rebels, and killing more civilians than ISIS (and more than they kill ISIS). The US, while being wrong about several things regarding Syria (targeting rebels sometimes, lack of intervention, putting more pressure on the defenders of the majority of Syria than on the killers of the majority of Syria, etc.), has at least targeted ISIS quite a bit unlike Russia.

Quite a bit less than you, though, since I'm not defending the genocidal dictator or his equally evil allies.
The Syrian army has a lot of Sunnis in it. A lot of Sunnis support the Syrian government. The only Sunnis the Syrian government is fighting are the jihadists and islamists.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
The Syrian army has a lot of Sunnis in it. A lot of Sunnis support the Syrian government. The only Sunnis the Syrian government is fighting are the jihadists and islamists.

"Defections, desertions, and over 44,000 combat fatalities have reduced the Syrian Arab Army from a pre-war high of 325,000 soldiers to an estimated 150,000 battle-tested yet war-weary troops."

The Assad Regime Under Stress: Conscription and Protest among Alawite and Minority Populations in Syria

How many of the 150,000 people in the Syrian Army is made up of Sunnis? I also wonder how many of the 131,000 of the deserters/defectors were Sunnis. Furthermore,

"Analysis of the Syrian Army’s 2011-2012 military campaign suggested that the regime could only reliably deploy 65,000 to 75,000 of its troops in offensive operations, mainly elite units such as the Republican Guard, the Special Forces, and the 4th Armored Division commanded by President Assad’s brother Maher al-Assad. Meanwhile, regular army units – mainly comprised of rank-and-file conscripted Sunnis deemed ‘untrustworthy’ by the regime – were confined to defensive positions or limited offensives in close proximity to their bases."

The Regime's Military Capabilities: Part 1

The elite units are comprised mainly of Alawites. In any case, shame on any Sunni who is cooperating with Assad without being/feeling coerced. No self-respect.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,540.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Fatalities caused by war, directly and indirectly, amount to 470,000, according to the Syrian Centre for Policy Research (SCPR) – a far higher total than the figure of 250,000 used by the United Nations until it stopped collecting statistics 18 months ago.

Report on Syria conflict finds 11.5% of population killed or injured

Important quotes that I didn't mention in that post from that article:

“Turkey has reached the end of its capacity to absorb [refugees],” Numan Kurtulmuş, Turkey’s deputy prime minister, told CNN-Turk on Sunday. “But in the end, these people have nowhere else to go. Either they will die beneath the bombings and Turkey will … watch the massacre like the rest of the world, or we will open our borders.

“At the moment, we are admitting some, and are trying to keep others there [in Syria] by providing them with every kind of humanitarian support,” Kurtulmuş added. “We are not in a position to tell them not to come. If we do, we would be abandoning them to their deaths.”

Upvote 0