Switchfoot: Any fans out there?

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to call it like I see it.

Switchfoot seems to be ashamed of the name of Jesus. They never speak of God or Jesus in their music, at least not in their latest stuff.

Switchfoot seems to be trying to "ride the fence", trying to have one foot in the Christian music industry, while trying to have another in the secular world.

You have to really question their sincerity and devotion to the One and Only.

When a band intentionally makes songs, time after time, song after song, without even the mention of the Holy Name of Jesus, then you have to question whether their heart is in it. Their songs lately are so generic that it can be interpreted to mean anything. It's like they're doing so with the intention of getting both "fame" in the Christian music industry as well as the secular music industry.

If they're doing so with the intention of attracting those who don't listen to Christian music, how is not mentioning the name of Jesus a benefit, when we all know that the name of Jesus brings conviction and true change. You can have cool music and speak of Jesus.

Someone else mentioned the band Skillet. I place them, by and large, in the same category with Switchfoot. A watered-down message so much that so little of it can even be construed as Christian.

I also don't like the way Switchfoot tries to make their concerts more about them in the way they try to "Crowd surf". What is this, a heavy metal concert, or a praise gathering to worship the Lord? Seriously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to call it like I see it.

Switchfoot seems to be ashamed of the name of Jesus. They never speak of God or Jesus in their music, at least not in their latest stuff.

Switchfoot seems to be trying to "ride the fence", trying to have one foot in the Christian music industry, while trying to have another in the secular world.

You have to really question their sincerity and devotion to the One and Only.

When a band intentionally makes songs, time after time, song after song, without even the mention of the Holy Name of Jesus, then you have to question whether their heart is in it. Their songs lately are so generic that it can be interpreted to mean anything. It's like they're doing so with the intention of getting both "fame" in the Christian music industry as well as the secular music industry.

If they're doing so with the intention of attracting those who don't listen to Christian music, how is not mentioning the name of Jesus a benefit, when we all know that the name of Jesus brings conviction and true change. You can have cool music and speak of Jesus.

Someone else mentioned the band Skillet. I place them, by and large, in the same category with Switchfoot. A watered-down message so much that so little of it can even be construed as Christian.

I also don't like the way Switchfoot tries to make their concerts more about them in the way they try to "Crowd surf". What is this, a heavy metal concert, or a praise gathering to worship the Lord? Seriously.

Well, speaking of God and how He is a part of our lives is important, I don't think there is anything wrong with speaking about life issues as well. There are lots of issues and concepts to think, talk and sing about. Do you mention the name of Jesus in every conversation and every other sentence. Singing like talking is a way of expressing one's self and there isn't anything wrong with doing so through music as we would when we converse or paint a picture, etc. We as Christians need to be thinking about all sorts of issues and so I think their expression of issues is a positive thing. Now having said this, would it be nice if they came out with more worship music...yes. Rarely is something all good or all bad.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, speaking of God and how He is a part of our lives is important, I don't think there is anything wrong with speaking about life issues as well. There are lots of issues and concepts to think, talk and sing about. Do you mention the name of Jesus in every conversation and every other sentence. Singing like talking is a way of expressing one's self and there isn't anything wrong with doing so through music as we would when we converse or paint a picture, etc. We as Christians need to be thinking about all sorts of issues and so I think their expression of issues is a positive thing. Now having said this, would it be nice if they came out with more worship music...yes. Rarely is something all good or all bad.

I'm not buying those arguments. While one can talk about life issues, and I certainly would not discourage someone from doing so, when you are known for being a "Christian band", it is imperative that your primary objective be to honor the name of Jesus. Speaking of "you were meant to live for so much more", without even mentioning Jesus means nothing to the secular world. What "so much more"? That could mean anything, in the same way that "I dare you to move" could mean anything. Where is the glorification of the Lord in this? When people are "screaming" and excited to help the lead singer crowd surf, while the singer seems to take happiness in doing this, where is the emphasis? It certainly isn't Jesus, in my opinion.

I saw Switchfoot in concert, and they gave a speech about social issues, not Christ.

I see a profound difference between Jeremy Camp, Todd Agnew, or Chris Tomlin, who I see as truly loving the Lord and wanting people to come to Jesus, and Switchfoot, who seems more about being wishy-washy in some diluted message.

Upvote 0

Colleen1

Legend
Feb 11, 2011
✟56,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not buying those arguments. While one can talk about life issues, and I certainly would not discourage someone from doing so, when you are known for being a "Christian band", it is imperative that your primary objective be to honor the name of Jesus. Speaking of "you were meant to live for so much more", without even mentioning Jesus means nothing to the secular world. What "so much more"? That could mean anything, in the same way that "I dare you to move" could mean anything. Where is the glorification of the Lord in this? When people are "screaming" and excited to help the lead singer crowd surf, while the singer seems to take happiness in doing this, where is the emphasis? It certainly isn't Jesus, in my opinion.

I saw Switchfoot in concert, and they gave a speech about social issues, not Christ.

I see a profound difference between Jeremy Camp, Todd Agnew, or Chris Tomlin, who I see as truly loving the Lord and wanting people to come to Jesus, and Switchfoot, who seems more about being wishy-washy in some diluted message.

I have listened to what you have said and I've shared my opinion. However, this thread isn't set up for a debate so I think it best I refrain from further comment.

Upvote 0

01tj

May 30, 2012
Fairmont WV
✟7,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What about Skillet? They don't mention Jesus directly in their songs but give a pretty clear testimony in their concerts. They draw a crowd in that would probably never listen to the gospel any other time

Skip to 2 min of the video if you don't want to hear about other "rock" singers.

Skillet - Awake And Alive - live in New York City -high quality - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Glad to see this thread is still here. :D I have another great Switchfoot song to share:

The Day I Found God
[Verse 1]
The morning comes like an enemy soldier
I feel the weight across my shoulders
I feel the shadows getting colder
But that ain't you

This noose ain't getting any looser
I get so fearful about the future
I hear the shame of my accuser
But that ain't you

[Chorus]
I found strength but it wasn't what I thought
I found peace in the places I forgot
I found riches ain't the things that I had bought
I found out
The day I lost myself was the day that I found God

[Verse 2]
I get caught chasing my own illusions
I get so lost in these confusions
I keep on looking for my own solutions
But that ain't you, that ain’t you no

[Chorus 2]
My enemies weren't the ones I had fought
My liberties weren't the freedoms I had sought
What I learned weren't the lessons I'd been taught
I found out the day I lost myself was
The day that I found God

[Verse 3]
Where is God out in the darkness?
Cause the voices in my head ain't talking honest
They're saying maybe you made us then forgot us
But that ain't you, that ain’t you no

[Chorus 3]
And all I know is that I still don't know a lot
I don't know how it ends I'm in the middle of this plot
Yeah and I found grace for the man that I am not
Yeah, I found out the day I lost myself
Yeah, I found out the day I lost myself
Yeah, I found out
The day I lost myself was the day that I found God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jon Foreman 'Equally Skilled'

"Equally Skilled"

How miserable I am
I feel like a fruit-picker who arrived here
After the harvest
There's nothing here at all
There's nothing at all here that could placate my hunger
The godly people are all gone
There's not one honest soul left alive
Here on the planet
We're all murderers and thieves
Setting traps here for even our brothers

And both of our hands
Are equally skilled
At doing evil
Equally skilled
At bribing the judges
Equally skilled
At perverting justice
Both of our hands
Both of our hands

The day of justice comes
And is even now swiftly arriving
Don't trust anyone at all
Not your best friend or even your wife
For the son hates the father
The daughter despises even her mother
Look, your enemies are right
Right in the room of your very household

And both of their hands
Are equally skilled
At doing evil
Equally skilled
At bribing the judges
Equally skilled
At perverting justice
Both of their hands
Both of their hands

No, don't gloat over me
For though I fall, though I fall
I will rise again
Though I sit here in darkness
The Lord, the Lord alone
He will be my light
I will be patient as the Lord
Punishes me for the wrongs I've done
Against Him
After that, He'll take my case
Bringing me to light and to justice
For all I have suffered

And both of His hands
Are equally skilled
At ruining evil
Equally skilled
At judging the judges
Equally skilled
Administering justice
Both of His hands

Both of His hands
Are equally skilled
At showing me mercy
Equally skilled
At loving the loveless
Equally skilled
Administering justice
Both of His hands
Both of His hands

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love switchfoot and my fave songs are
and afterlife

such great song writing 'thumbs up' They have some new music I've been enjoying. I was on their website last night and they announced they will be opening for Bon Jovi a few times in Europe....what an opportunity to share faith and bring hope to hurting people
:hoho:

Upvote 0