Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Will pray for his family. Times like this ( not saying that anyone has but times like this are when really the best thing to do is to lay down any agreements or disagreements you had with his rulings and just pray for the family.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟893,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know nothing of his career but it seems to me that 30 years and age 79 is way too long in this job.
Justices serve for life or until they voluntary resign or else get to where they cannot do the job.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I know nothing of his career but it seems to me that 30 years and age 79 is way too long in this job.
Noting that Anthony Kennedy is also 79, Stephen Breyer is 77 while Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 82.

The rest are all in their 60's except for Elena Kagan who is 55.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dies at 79 | Washington Post

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, the intellectual cornerstone of the court’s modern conservative wing, whose elegant and acidic opinions inspired a movement of legal thinkers and ignited liberal critics, died Feb. 13 on a ranch near Marfa, Tex. He was 79.
In a statement Saturday, Chief Justice John G. Roberts said: “On behalf of the Court and retired Justices, I am saddened to report that our colleague Justice Antonin Scalia has passed away. He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the Court and the country he so loyally served. We extend our deepest condolences to his wife Maureen and his family.”

In the first official notice of Justice Scalia’s death, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said: “Justice Antonin Scalia was a man of God, a patriot, and an unwavering defender of the written Constitution and the Rule of Law. His fierce loyalty to the Constitution set an unmatched example, not just for judges and lawyers, but for all Americans. We mourn his passing, and we pray that his successor on the Supreme Court will take his place as a champion for the written Constitution and the Rule of Law.”

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have to wonder, how many seeing the OP title that he died in "Marfa", think Scalia died in a foreign country? ;)
Well, now the OP did say it was a hunting trip.
wink_smile.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There certainly are enough posts reporting the same thing.

They keep getting locked.

I'll break the trend here and say that given that Supreme Court Justice is a life-long job, the nation is better off for him being dead. The point at which it should have been clear that putting him on the court was a mistake was his dissent to Lawrence v. Texas, where he compared sodomy to murder, apparently missing the fine point that in consensual sodomy, there is no victim, while in murder, there is. Since then, he's made a long series of truly bizarre rulings and dissents, many of which were clearly harmful to America. So good riddance.

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
They keep getting locked.

I'll break the trend here and say that given that Supreme Court Justice is a life-long job, the nation is better off for him being dead. The point at which it should have been clear that putting him on the court was a mistake was his dissent to Lawrence v. Texas, where he compared sodomy to murder, apparently missing the fine point that in consensual sodomy, there is no victim, while in murder, there is. Since then, he's made a long series of truly bizarre rulings and dissents, many of which were clearly harmful to America. So good riddance.

He actually compared moral objections to sodomy with moral objections to things such as inappropriate behavior with animals or murder. In answer to a student's question on how he could compare the two moral objections (sodomy and murder) Scalia said. “If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder? Can we have it against other things?”

He never compared sodomy to murder.

Reactions: KarateCowboy
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
He actually compared moral objections to sodomy with moral objections to things such as inappropriate behavior with animals or murder. In answer to a student's question on how he could compare the two moral objections (sodomy and murder) Scalia said. “If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder? Can we have it against other things?”

He never compared sodomy to murder.

That is absolutely comparing murder to sodomy, I suspect because you don't like sodomy you aren't seeing it. If someone changed it to: if we cannot have moral feelings about conservatives, can we have it against Nazis -- I am sure many conservatives would be outraged at the comparison and be complaining the thread had been Godwinned (which requires a comparison).

Beyond that, Scalia's statement has nothing to do with the law. I've never heard anyone state that an American is not allowed to have moral feelings about homosexuality. There are people who believe killing animals for food is immoral, yet I've not seen any serious movement to outlaw the Cattle, Pork, or Chicken industries. Some people believe that mixing the races is immoral, yet our laws require integration -- segregation was found to be against the Constitution. We don't create law just because some people think something is immoral, particularly when it is an issue that will not directly effect those that feel it is immoral. And just because something is not outlawed does not mean that people cannot feel it is morally wrong.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0