• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Support thread/area on forum for family member who has schizophrenia

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone know of any areas on the forum offering support for family members who have a close relative with this diagnosis, for support/advice etc?

Thanks
I don't know of any specific sub-forum on CF.

There is an excellent psychiatric sub-forum on another website where you might get support.
http://forums.psychcentral.com/schizophrenia-psychosis/

I found a book to help family members cope with early psychosis. I have not read it.
A new book on the topic of psychosis addresses the concerns experienced by patients and families as they come to grips with the diagnosis. Written by Michael T. Compton, MD, MPH, assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory School of Medicine, and Beth Broussard, MPH, CHES, a research staff member in the same department, The First Episode of Psychosis: A Guide for Patients and Their Families offers help by outlining a clear guide for patients experiencing the often frightening and confusing initial episode of psychosis. Both Compton and Broussard provide mental health care at Grady Memorial Hospital.

The book is particularly useful for family members, the authors say.
http://whsc.emory.edu/home/news/releases/2009/07/early-psychosis-book.html

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I just joined and would love to c a forum for family members who have a loved one with mental illness. I am a wife of a mentally ill husband....my life had become so bizarre .. I am hoping that someone else on here can relate!
What kind of mental illness does he have?

Upvote 0

Confused1966

May 11, 2016
California
✟7,614.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He has a diagnosis of a jealousy based delusional disorder. The psychiatrist said that he may have this disorder because he is bipolar which is not being treated (due to my husband refusing medication) . because of ALL the craziness that I have seen I am wondering if his diagnosis is even right. ....maybe he is schizophrenic. ...schizzo affective disorder. .. I don't know: (

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
He has a diagnosis of a jealousy based delusional disorder. The psychiatrist said that he may have this disorder because he is bipolar which is not being treated (due to my husband refusing medication) . because of ALL the craziness that I have seen I am wondering if his diagnosis is even right. ....maybe he is schizophrenic. ...schizzo affective disorder. .. I don't know: (
I was diagnosed with brief psychotic disorder and delusional disorder. In my case, I sometimes have paranoid concerns that people are spying on me, draining my energy, etc. via ESP or magic. I know these concerns are silly, but they worry me anyway. Getting rest makes a big difference.

Here is a forum I found for delusional disorder. Delusional disorder is very rare (maybe 1 in 40,000) and most people with delusional disorder don't think they have a problem. You'll notice that many of the people posting in this forum are spouses of the person with delusional disorder. It might take a long time to get a response if you post something, because there isn't much activity in that forum. The moderator, @Sunnyg , is very nice. Hopefully you might get some advice there. :)
http://www.psychforums.com/delusional-disorder/

Upvote 0