Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Superman priest

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by SemperFidelis, Feb 19, 2013.

1. SemperFidelis

SemperFidelis Mean, angry Traditionalist

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Liberals
    Faith:
    Catholic
  2. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    It would seem out of place.
    Symbolism [if he uses it] or not, it crowds out the Lord's real heroism.

3. catholicbybirth

catholicbybirth St. Louis, pray for me.

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
  4. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 The Orthodox Dark Knight Rises!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    First of all, disclaimer, I'm a HUGE Superman fan, DC comics fan, and can hardly wait until Man of Steel comes out in theatres this summer! Boo-ya! Love Superman!

However, to see a priest in a liturgy wear the emblem of Kal-El....it's utterly ridiculous. If our deacon tried to wear that in our parish, our priest would have him tarred and feathered! Outrageous!!?

5. ranpleasant

ranpleasant Catholic

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    It is absolutely disrespectful to our Lord Jesus Christ and totally ridiculous! :mad:

How does this priest expect people, especially the children, to learn to fully love and worship Christ and fully understand what a Mass really is when he is making Mass into some type of game. This type of stuff is typical of what is wrong with the Catholic Church in the United States. All they lacking at that Mass is some New Age nun dancing about as Wonder Woman. The bishop over this priest is also failing in his duty by failing to stomp out this type of mess.

Ran

6. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Appalling. Disrepectful, sacreligious, and totally out of place within the dignity of the Mass. I thought we had finally run through this sort of nonsense back at the tail-end of the 1980's.

Evidently I was wrong.

I saw a priest dash into the sanctuary one Sunday wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers helmet and waving a Steelers banner because his team won a game the night before. I got up and walked out, along with several other people. Most of the congregation, however, just sat there and laughed appreciatively, some of them even whistling and cheering.

Jesus wept.

7. Colin

Colin Senior Veteran Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Catholic
    It seems a bit odd , but it is not the norm , hence the fact that it is published .
    One thing the picture does not show is the reverence and love for Jesus shown by the respectful way this priest may have celebrated the Eucharist .

8. ranpleasant

ranpleasant Catholic

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic

"...the respectful way this priest may have celebrated the Eucharist" is the expected behavior. It is not some above and beyond the call of duty behavior for a priest to be respectful while performing the Mass. The expected behavior and respect in no way makes up for the absolute dis-respect of his clothing. What next, performing the Mass respectfully while nude?

Ran