Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The sabbath has nothing to do with the exodus.
Deut 5:15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It was a sign for worship
You can't ignore the fact that it was connected to the exodus, of which gentiles have no business with.

Deut 5:15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
.... Presentation went along just fine then ends with this u-turn out of nowhere.... There was no presentation throughout that Sunday is truly the eschatological Lord's Day.

I think it was implied. It was also trying to say that Sunday is not to be held as being first day sabbatarianism. Patristic writings also call Sunday "the 8th day". Acts 20:7 says they broke bread on that day. So we see very early on that the Sabbath was kept but believers also met on the 1st day of the week to break bread. But the Sabbath in the Eastern Churches has never been held as being on the 1st day of the week.

Socrates Scholasticus. "Church History, Book V". For although almost all churches throughout the world celebrate the sacred mysteries on the sabbath of every week, yet the Christians of Alexandria and at Rome, on account of some ancient tradition, have ceased to do this. The Egyptians in the neighborhood of Alexandria, and the inhabitants of Thebaïs, hold their religious assemblies on the sabbath, but do not participate of the mysteries in the manner usual among Christians in general: for after having eaten and satisfied themselves with food of all kinds, in the evening making their offerings they partake of the mysteries.

Sozomen. "Ecclesiastical History, Book VII". Assemblies are not held in all churches on the same time or manner. The people of Constantinople, and almost everywhere, assemble together on the Sabbath, as well as on the first day of the week, which custom is never observed at Rome or at Alexandria. There are several cities and villages in Egypt where, contrary to the usage established elsewhere, the people meet together on Sabbath evenings, and, although they have dined previously, partake of the mysteries.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
And we can apply that to us today who were slave to political and government systems that trap us in what we call the rat race. Our Lord will bring us out of their kingdom into His with His outstretched hand and we will observe His commandment to observe the Sabbath day in honor of what He has done for us.

Upvote 0

JeffTheLearner

a puff of smoke
Apr 9, 2006
Richland, MO
✟8,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many studying the subject of Primitive Christianity think Sunday worship is valid ...however as a measure to separate themselves from lawless assemblies many have worship services on different days.

Now the problem with sects such as SDA is that they themselves alter the understanding of scriptures with repetitive affirmations, and boast that "the Sabbath is a day of WORSHIP" ...that is not so, scripture clearly states that the Sabbath is a DAY OF REST on which you shall do NO WORK (Note: Exodus 31:15)

So firstly they alter ones understanding by emphasising the falsity "Sabbath is a day of worship" when it clearly states "a day of rest" ...also in this causing many to stumble by having them perform services and many works to facilitate this worshipful sabbath service in causing many to work, and even "buy, sell, and trade."

Some find contradiction to this (in only resting, or assembled restings) ...but only because they confuse undefined statements with regular "Sabbath" days but are really referring to "Holy Sabbath" days making note of Holy convocations by ordnance of Yah ...however with the clear words showing a regular Sabbath day requirements written boldly in Torah ...in a regular Sabbath day it is clear what we should do.

Now those looking into Primitive Christian studies find themselves agreeing that the custom began from Christians by first keeping Sabbath the day before Sunday by resting, or resting together in large assembled groups of sleepovers, then on the following day performing all the great task of skillful worship ...which was on the following day, and first day, Sunday.

It was later on when the Assemblies were falling into lawlessness that they also forgot the Sabbath, as graphed in wild branches exulting themselves over the natural roots and tree, they began in their hateful pride started to only validate their own "solemn assemblies" in their minds as pleasing to YHVH ...when rebellion is as blasphemy in His eyes.

All in all, you get the point, if you are going to observe Sunday service ...also keep the Sabbath also, and even keep Sunday service with those who also keep Sabbath, that way you bring no stink upon your skillful praise of Him Who is worthy forever, and ever ...why labor in vain?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
And we can apply that to us today who were slave to political and government systems that trap us in what we call the rat race. Our Lord will bring us out of their kingdom into His with His outstretched hand and we will observe His commandment to observe the Sabbath day in honor of what He has done for us.
No you can't. It's not the same.

Look if you want to observe the Shabbat, that's fine. It's not like it does any harm, especially since you aren't keeping Shabbat the way that Jews do. It's just that Gentiles are not obligated the way that Jews are.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
No you can't. It's not the same.

Look if you want to observe the Shabbat, that's fine. It's not like it does any harm, especially since you aren't keeping Shabbat the way that Jews do. It's just that Gentiles are not obligated the way that Jews are.

Be warned. You are in the wrong forum to be teaching against following the Torah.

You have been given the facts. You can believe what you like.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Be warned. You are in the wrong forum to be teaching against following the Torah.
I'm not against following the Torah. I think it is necessary for believing Jews to follow the Torah. I also think that Gentiles may follow the Torah out of love. I'm also an advocate for Gentiles who feel drawn to taking on the Torah to convert to Judaism/become Jews (as with the UMJC conversion). I personally follow the Torah because I am a Jew. My opinion is no different than that of the Union of Messianic Jewish Congregations, one of the two major MJ denominations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winepress777

Jun 8, 2015
✟8,905.00
Faith
Christian
Is Sunday worship an example of an intermingling of paganism with the Christian faith? There are some Christian sects who observe a seventh-day sabbath that say that it is - some say it has to do with Baal...
Anyone who only worships Jesus one day a week has much bigger issues to deal with than wondering about Baal...

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not against following the Torah. I think it is necessary for believing Jews to follow the Torah. I also think that Gentiles may follow the Torah out of love. I'm also an advocate for Gentiles who feel drawn to taking on the Torah to convert to Judaism/become Jews (as with the UMJC conversion). I personally follow the Torah because I am a Jew. My opinion is no different than that of the Union of Messianic Jewish Congregations, one of the two major MJ denominations.

I don't care who believes what. There are rules here barring teaching against the Torah.

No anti-Torah theology. No posts accusing or debating that Messianic Jews or Gentiles are "under the law", or re-erecting the "wall of partition", or that Torah has been made null and void, or done away with.
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/new-mj-sop-messianic-statement-of-purpose.7797477/

The Torah is for everyone who follows Yahweh. If you don't believe that, you are wrong. It is not up for debate here.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.