ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Any hardcore runners in here? Anyway this is a goal that I want to hit. Tested myself today on a 12.4 miles and did it in 1 hour 22 minutes, which is a 6:40 min. pace.

For people here who are serious runners, am I on track, or should I push harder?

R

Riot Riot Riot

I am nowhere NEAR your level!! I plan on starting up my running again as soon as my Vibrams come in (which should hopefully be within the next week...). I'm not really looking forward to the calf pain I'll have to endure while building up my muscles, but I'm SO stoked to get back on the pavement (or grass, or wherever I so choose to run ^_^)

ANYWAYS..... you sound like a beast. Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
No, you shoulda saw me on the final lap, lol. I felt like dog doodoo. I have to bump up my speed training and also volume, because it was only 15 miles I did, I'd have 11.2 miles to go and must be able to sustain a sub 7 minute pace per mile if I am to finish in under 3 hours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
U

Ukrainia

Moderate distance today, 9.3 miles. Finished in 56 minutes, 48 seconds. Didn't want to go too hard, last week's 15 mile run left my legs a little tender.

That's impressive! I'm not nearly in as good of condition as you are, but I'm working on it. I'm eager to start running in trail races - because the scenery is so much better than road races - but I think I'll stick to the half marathons since I'm not sure I want to dedicate the time I would need to put in to run marathons.

Upvote 0

SneakerPimp53

Becoming X
Jan 14, 2011
The 'rents' basement
✟15,724.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There's a reason distance runners look like distance runners. Extra muscle mass is more weight you're carrying over the long haul. It's going to slow you down. It's a total dedication type of sport, and I would imagine if you're training on a typical marathoner training program but adding resistance training to the mix you might well be over training.
You might want to consider intentionally running under pace on long runs, keeping long runs to once a week, and stepping back the long run every third or fourth week.

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
There's a reason distance runners look like distance runners. Extra muscle mass is more weight you're carrying over the long haul. It's going to slow you down. It's a total dedication type of sport, and I would imagine if you're training on a typical marathoner training program but adding resistance training to the mix you might well be over training.
You might want to consider intentionally running under pace on long runs, keeping long runs to once a week, and stepping back the long run every third or fourth week.

What I have been doing has been working for me, everything you've mentioned I am fully aware of. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
U

Ukrainia

Anyone here read the book Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superatheletes and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen? Probably one of the better told stories I've read recently, not to mention some parts are comedic gold. And it seemlessly works in a lot of running knowledge, so it works well for both those who want a great read, and those who just want to learn to run faster.

Upvote 0