Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Prior to reading the Gospel, the Priest and congregation make a series of signs, seemingly with the knuckle of their right thumb. It looks like a small sign of the Cross on the page, then the forehead, then the lips, then the opposite page. Am I seeing this right?

I want to do this properly and am not sure I am seeing it right. It happens so quickly.

Thanks!

Willis

foxsta

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti Amen
Site Supporter
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟47,395.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Yes, the congregation makes with a finger (thumb in most cases I spose), a small sign of the cross on the forehead, lips and heart in that order. I wondered the same thing when I went to my first Catholic mass, but all was answered shortly afterward and yeah, it does happen quickly. The priest does a similar thing to with the small signs of the cross. I haven't noticed them make the signs on the page, but he does kiss the Gospel I think. I could be wrong. Hope this helps, Ben

Upvote 0

vrunca

STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS
May 1, 2004
North East Lower Michigan! Go Wings!!
✟4,908.00
Faith
Catholic
What is being done is that we are making a small cross on our forehead and saying something like: "May the word of God be in my mind" then a small cross on our lips we say "on my lips" and a small cross over our hearts saying "and in my heart". Some people say just something as simple as "God be in my mind, lips and heart", while making the same gestures. And we use the tip of our thumb for that.

We may say different words all meaning the same thing though.

The Priest on the other hand says something else and does make a cross on the Book of Gospels.

Upvote 0

foxsta

In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti Amen
Site Supporter
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟47,395.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
The Priest kisses the Word of God after he proclaims it.
Thanks and yeah, I was going to mention the symbolism of making the small signs but I thought a) I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to give false info and b) I didn't know it was exactly universal. Thanks tho! :)

Upvote 0

AnnieG

Watering the Flos Carmeli with her tears
Aug 6, 2005
✟8,047.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The congregation make a small cross with the thumb on the forehead, the mouth and the chest -- either in the middle or there where the heart is. The priest makes a small cross into the lectionary before that. There are no prescribed prayers for that, but the meaning is just like said. When the priest kisses the lectionary, after the reading, he prays silently that through the words of the Gospel our sins may be taken away.
This "little cross" is not only made during Mass, it also exists in private devotion.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of kissing the Gospel.

There are three things which are kissed in the Mass, all because Christ is present in these things.

One is the Gospel, because Christ is the Word,.
One is the altar (at the start and end of Mass), because Christ becomes really present in the 'things of the altar'. That is, Christ will become present on the altar.
One is the congregation. The 'sign of peace' is actually a kiss, though in some cultures they shake hands or hug instead. We 'greet each other with a kiss' because Christ is present in the Church.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,118.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
When we use the incense, the priest incense also the Gospel, before reading it.
Because the incense has the meaning to "sign the holiness", and the Gospel book became the Word of God when read to the Christians.
Also the altar is incensed (two times), and the priest and all the faithfuls, and also the Eucharist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks and yeah, I was going to mention the symbolism of making the small signs but I thought a) I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to give false info and b) I didn't know it was exactly universal. Thanks tho! :)
In case you cannot understand what is being murmered: "Glory to you, Oh Lord."

I have heard a lot of people mention they cannot understand what they are saying.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.