Feb 4, 2004
Farmington, NM
Visit site
✟461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I put this in a different forum first but had no responses, so posting here.

I had a question that has been bothering me lately. But first a litter back story into the question.

When I was a bit younger (about 8-9 years). I was big into the church and my faith. I would go to church every Sunday, youth groups, Bible studies, etc. And I was very happy and was building a good relationship with God.

Then I met someone outside of the church and we hit it off. The only problem is they were an atheist, so I ended up stopping all of my church activities. Always got poked fun at for "believing that" whenever I mentioned it. We were together for 7.5 years. And in that time I did a lot that I wasn't proud of, that would be constituted as sin. And during that whole time I really wanted to go back to the church, I felt a pull to go back. But never did.

Well for various reasons the relationship ended. And about a year later I got a really strong pull to go back to the church, that was a month ago and I am so happy I did. I missed the fellowship, worship, prayer, etc. so much.

But is it possible to have sinned too much or stumbled by making mistakes and sinning too often in your relationship with God to be forgiven? There are times that I feel like I've stumbled too many times, that I feel like I may be a lost cause in God's eyes.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Stumbled too many times for Yahweh to forgive? Definitely not because there aren't any exception clauses in "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

Afterwards, we just need to learn from our mistakes and go on. We don't even need to keep thinking about the awful things we did and didn't do. Plus when we repent, this Scripture (Isa 43:25 and Heb 10) says He forgives and forgets about them which means He doesn't hold them against us (Romm4:8). Additionally, He'll guide us to turn from those things and have better lives. How awesome He is!

You might want to read Eph 3:17-21, Also, Yeshua said - "I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me." Based on this John 17:23 Scripture, Patricia King = “We all know that the Father loves His son. You know, He loves Jesus so perfectly. As the Lord loves Him - that’s how much He loves you. You might think He can’t because I can’t be perfect like Jesus. God doesn’t love Jesus because He’s perfect, He loves Jesus because Jesus is His son and that’s why God loves Jesus. He loves you the same way. He loves you the same way He loves Jesus because you are His child. The Father Himself loves you.”

Last edited:
Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But is it possible to have sinned too much or stumbled by making mistakes and sinning too often in your relationship with God to be forgiven? There are times that I feel like I've stumbled too many times, that I feel like I may be a lost cause in God's eyes.

I wish God would answer that for you. No, I pray he would.

Grace and peace through the blood of his cross.

Upvote 0

amymine712

Praising God
Jun 24, 2014
✟15,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When you confess Jesus as your savior and repent from past sins you are forgiven. God is so happy to have you back in His arms. What you are experiencing is the old sin nature trying to pull you back away from God. Renounce the sin nature by proclaiming Christ has your life now.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I had a question that has been bothering me lately. But first a litter back story into the question.

When I was a bit younger (about 8-9 years). I was big into the church and my faith. I would go to church every Sunday, youth groups, Bible studies, etc. And I was very happy and was building a good relationship with God.

Then I met someone outside of the church and we hit it off. The only problem is they were an atheist, so I ended up stopping all of my church activities. Always got poked fun at for "believing that" whenever I mentioned it. We were together for 7.5 years. And in that time I did a lot that I wasn't proud of, that would be constituted as sin. And during that whole time I really wanted to go back to the church, I felt a pull to go back. But never did.

Well for various reasons the relationship ended. And about a year later I got a really strong pull to go back to the church, that was a month ago and I am so happy I did. I missed the fellowship, worship, prayer, etc. so much.

The only two unforgivable sins in the Bible are blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and taking the mark of the beast. Blasphemy of the Spirit (Mat 12) appears to be attributing the miraculous works of Jesus to the devil, and thus completely rejecting Jesus. Doesn't sound like you've done this. Taking the mark of the beast (Rev 13) involves taking a mark of some kind on your right hand or forehead that allows you to participate in the final world empire's economic system, and it is closely associated with worshipping the beast and his image (Rev 14). Nobody has done that yet.

Also take into account that it sounds like the Holy Spirit has drawn you back into fellowship in the church. If God was not going to forgive you, why would He bother drawing you back into the church? Regardless of what one thinks about eternal security, God is obviously still working with you. You may suffer consequences for your sinful behavior, though (Gal 6), so don't be surprised if some aspects of your life are negatively affected by your time in sin.

By all means, DO NOT take the Lord's forgiveness and mercy for granted, and continue to live with one foot in the world and one foot in the kingdom... God desires your whole heart. Embrace God's love and mercy, and commit yourself to submitting to the lordship of Jesus Christ, confess and forsake your sins, and seek after God's will for your life... then you'll never have to worry about this, and you'll experience closer fellowship with God and His people.

hope this helps

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We're to take every thought captive (II Cor 10:5) and renew our minds with His Word (Rom 12:2). So in everyday life, when those thoughts come about our sins being too great to be forgiven, we can immediately start thinking on Scriptures such as I John 1:9.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

it is written not to pray for someone who commits the sin that is a sin unto death (look it up).
since you are 'searching' still, and hope? to be right with Yhwh,
it is most likely, or at least possible, you have not gone too far yet.
Yhwh knows.

search Scripture. seek Yhwh (Father of Jesus), He desires to have mercy on those on whom He has mercy, and to forgive those whom He forgives. (again, search Scripture - almost all men will lie to you, only Yhwh and Yeshua will always be truthful and helpful).

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I greatly encourage you to please read and memorize the following Scriptures that I am going to share here.

The Bible clearly explains to us that there is the possibility that we can sin so often and so long, without regard to ever asking Jesus to forgive us, that He will take us to Himself (to heaven) early. What a person has done when this occurs is that they have sinned unto death. (1 Jn 5:16)

In your case, it is easy to see that God's goodness led you to repent (Rom. 2:4), and that you have not sinned to the point where He has taken you from this life to Himself early. How wonderful this is! For the Bible tells us that even when we believe not, He is faithful, He cannot deny Himself. (2 Tim. 2:13)

What that means is that His promise to keep us in Him is a promise He kept with Himself, not contingent upon our behavior. (Heb. 6;13) So, even if we turn from Him, we never, ever lose our sonship or daughtership within His family. We are always, and will forever be His, just like we are our father's in this temporal life, we are His in the eternal as well.

Absolutely nothing is able to separate us from the love of God. NOTHING! Not height, nor depth, nor any other creature. NOTHING! (Rom 8:39)

Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. (Isa. 49:15) That is God's promise to us, that He will never, ever forget us.

When we sin, we may very well reap some of what we've sown. There may be some disciplinary action God will take, which is known as chastisement.

However, keep in mind, (Psalm 89:32-34) what never, ever leaves us, is His faithfulness and compassion. "Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. (Ps. 89:33) You see again, His promise to Himself?

The stedfast love of the Lord never ceases. His mercies never come to an end. But they are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness.
David

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you are truly saved, the no there is no "too much", because Christ bore all of your sins and took the full just wrath of God due them, thereby making complete atonement for you. There is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). If you are redeemed, your sins have been atoned for and you will never be condemned. God does not play double jeopardy.

The real thing here is to make your calling and election sure (2 Peter 1:10). Being raised in the church, going as a kid, saying prayers and attending Sunday services, does not save a soul. A man can be deeply religious all his life and go straight to Hell, if he doesn't know Christ.

To be saved one must first come to know, and hate, just sinful and wicked they are (2 Corinthians 7:10). You must come to complete agreement with God about your wicked condition before him, and hate it. You must repent; confess and forsake your ways and surrender to God (Isaiah 55:6-7). And you must trust in Christ, and his finished atoning work, ALONE, to save you (John 3:16). You must be converted!

Religion and churches have never saved anybody, only God can do that. Repent and trust in Christ and you will be saved, and nothing will be able to separate you from the love of Christ. I'm not saying you necessarily aren't saved, I'm just urging you to self-examination as the bible urges (2 Corinthians 13:5).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it is written not to pray for someone who commits the sin that is a sin unto death (look it up).
since you are 'searching' still, and hope? to be right with Yhwh,
it is most likely, or at least possible, you have not gone too far yet.
Yhwh knows.

search Scripture. seek Yhwh (Father of Jesus), He desires to have mercy on those on whom He has mercy, and to forgive those whom He forgives. (again, search Scripture - almost all men will lie to you, only Yhwh and Yeshua will always be truthful and helpful).

I agree, get it from God himself. Also thanks for the reminder about not praying for sin unto death. It made me read 1 John again, and thought I'd post my findings. Please correct me if you see fit.

To commit sin - is to be under the law

To have no sin....deceives oneself

To say you have not sinned...makes God a liar

But we are born of God. Our sins are forgiven for Christ name sake, and if any sin we have an advocate in heaven.

For one of us to sin deals with the heart rather than the flesh, such as love for the world or hatred of brother. This is not a sin unto death.

But a sin unto death speaks of wilfull sin; having knowledge of the truth but preferring wickedness, and doing despite unto the Spirit of grace. In effect "trodding under foot the Son of God, and counting the blood of the covenant an unholy thing" (Hebrews 10:26). It's like God teaching, pouring out grace, pleading, but I say forget it; i'd rather have life in the flesh.

I think my prayer stands for the OP's heart to get a witness from God. God knows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeautifulLove

Jun 16, 2014
USA
✟15,240.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus died to take away ALL of our sins. It says in the bible that while he was on the cross he felt the heaviness of all sin, including future sins.

I was dealing with the same thoughts that you had when my world was shaken incredibly (only about two months ago!) I'm very happy that I snapped back into my normal self but I have such a greater understanding and relationship with The Lord. God doesn't keep a tally of sins vs good deeds. All he cares about is what truly is in your heart.

All Christians sin. Some sin a lot more than others. We can never be perfect but we can make an effort to better ourselves and be more like our beloved Jesus.

The bible also says something about only involving yourself when it comes to relationships with other Christians. I don't think a lot of people care too much on that one, but I did care when I found my mate. I think God only wants us strengthened in faith through this (not mocked or questioned by atheists/etc). It's good for the soul to keep faithful friends and relationships close as you have learned.

I pray you get your answers and a peace!

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 8:38-39
38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[b] neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This same dilemma you are facing was taking place among the Corinthians of Paul's day. There was a young man who was sleeping with his step mother and they thought they were showing great love by not reproving him. Paul wrote to them in his first letter to demand they cast that man out of their fellowship. A little leaven leavens the whole lump, or can infest the rest of the body. So, the church members did just that.

However, this man, after receiving their reproval, repented of his sins, and, as seems the case most times with all churches, the opposite reaction they took to the extreme. The members refused to receive this man back into their company, so Paul had to write to them again to educate them regarding the inworkings of a repentant heart.

2 Cor. 7:11 lists those traits of a heart that has repented. So, if you want to examine yourself to see if any of those fruits exist in you, do so. Is there the fear of God in you? Indignation over the sin you committed? Here's a set of teachings I wrote on this topic: Repentance from Dead Works Forum Please read through them. Get to know what repentance is, and what those fruits are that prove you have repented.

By what I have read so far, it appears you have turned truly; but still, read what I've sent to you, please. Know deeply in your heart exactly what repentance is.
David

Upvote 0

matt84

Follower of God
Feb 4, 2004
Farmington, NM
Visit site
✟461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for all the encouraging responses. :)

I have turned my life around; that I am sure of. But I still struggle with certain things every day. Though I am very conscious of them now. If I do something I know to be wrong out of habit, like tell a lie because it is more convenient than the truth. I immediately catch it and apologize for it and set it straight and work to stop doing it.

I have also been getting far more patient. I drive a lot at my current job, and where I live we have a bunch of bad drivers. And I used to get very, very angry at the other drivers every single day. Now since I have turned my life back towards Christ I am becoming far more patient. Now when I encounter a bad driver I just take a deep breath and think about God and Jesus and become relaxed and the bad drivers don't really bother me anymore.

Other stuff hasn't been so fast to turn around but I have faith that if I keep working towards God that it will in time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums