Study was unable to replicate climate change contrarian paper science.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what that is. But here is the link to the paper. Maybe there is a reference in there.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00704-015-1597-5
Conflict of Interest disclosures is a statement by papers' authors which show how they may or may not have a conflict of interest. For example, if this paper's authors were paid by pro-global warming companies, they should disclose that conflict of interest. If there were no conflict of interest, they would also generally state that as well in the paper.

Another example: A scientific paper which showed the benefits of a prescription drug might say that their authors were paid by the manufacturer of that drug.

The fact that there is no such disclosure (that I can find) makes this particular paper very questionable to me.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Conflict of Interest disclosures is a statement by papers' authors which show how they may or may not have a conflict of interest. For example, if this paper's authors were paid by pro-global warming companies, they should disclose that conflict of interest. If there were no conflict of interest, they would also generally state that as well in the paper.

Another example: A scientific paper which showed the benefits of a prescription drug might say that their authors were paid by the manufacturer of that drug.

The fact that there is no such disclosure (that I can find) makes this particular paper very questionable to me.

Why? Re-examining published papers is part of the peer review process. They could have done this on curiosity alone.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Why? Re-examining published papers is part of the peer review process. They could have done this on curiosity alone.
They're reviewing other papers that have already gone through other peer review processes. Why should I believe their peer review over the original peer review? What are their conflicts of interest?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They're reviewing other papers that have already gone through other peer review processes. Why should I believe their peer review over the original peer review? What are their conflicts of interest?

Because they where trying to duplicate their claims in their papers. Just because it was published doesn't mean it is excepted science or accurate. Their experiments and data should be repeatable.

Why do they need a conflict of interest for that? What conflict do you see from just trying to duplicate studies?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Because they where trying to duplicate their claims in their papers. Just because it was published doesn't mean it is excepted science or accurate. Their experiments and data should be repeatable.

Why do they need a conflict of interest for that? What conflict do you see from just trying to duplicate studies?
If others can discard data, then they can too.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Where is this paper's authors' Conflict of Interest Research Disclosure statement?
Why would you immediately assume that the authors have a conflict of interest, particularly one worth disclosing?

A gish gallop of nonsense with no merit, most of which is either completely wrong or completely irrelevant and easily countered by a quick trip to Skeptical Science.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Why would you immediately assume that the authors have a conflict of interest, particularly one worth disclosing?
There is a difference between "immediately assum[ing] that the authors have a conflict of interest" and "investigating the potentiality of a conflict of interest which the authors have not revealed". I am holding the latter position.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between "immediately assum[ing] that the authors have a conflict of interest" and "investigating the potentiality of a conflict of interest which the authors have not revealed". I am holding the latter position.
Bringing it up in the first post does not support "investigating the potentiality of a conflict of interest which the authors have not revealed" over "immediately assum[ing] that the authors have a conflict of interest."

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
But you immediately demanded to know where their statement on this is. But it's completely typical to leave out any such statement if there is no conflict of interest. It missing is a pretty good sign that there is no significant conflict of interest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
But you immediately demanded to know where their statement on this is. But it's completely typical to leave out any such statement if there is no conflict of interest. It missing is a pretty good sign that there is no significant conflict of interest.
Yes, I immediately investigated the potential for a conflict of interest. I did not immediately assume that the authors have a conflict of interest. Two wholly different things.

It is still suspect in my eyes since there is no disclosure either way. Is it so difficult or costly to include two or three sentences stating any (or absence of) conflict of interests?

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It is still suspect in my eyes since there is no disclosure either way. Is it so difficult or costly to include two or three sentences stating any (or absence of) conflict of interests?
It's pointless and unnecessary, and most paper authors don't bother.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, those paper authors shouldn't be surprised when they're questioned or under suspicion, then.
Why? Again, it's convention not to make any such declaration unless it is necessary. If it had been necessary, they would have made such a declaration, or the journal most likely would have rejected it.

Upvote 0