Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How so? And what would that even mean?

What do you mean "how so"?

Medicine, medical science, is only successful because of chemistry and physics, the known laws of chemistry and physics applied to biology of humans. The chemical processes in a cell and how fluid moves throughout bodily organs all are governed by the laws of chemistry and physics. These things are deterministic (can't be any other way) and therefore predictive.

Yes, and? Discoveries in other scientific disciplines also have practical application.

What do you mean "Yes, and?"

The reason a philosophy of science began was so that scientists with doctoral degrees in philosophy could distinguish how say... modern medicine, pharmacology, differentiated between say the practice of primitive "medicine men." Of how science is differentiated from astrology. That is to say, "what makes science different."

One of the key characteristics--in terms of aims--those early philosophers of science determined about science was its goal of predictive power. You couldn't have forensic science without it. You couldn't have forensic analysis of how fast a car was traveling when it crashed based upon crash scene physical evidence left without this "predictiveness" inherent as it is in deterministic phenomena.

All of our technological advances and medical advances spring from chemistry and physics. Some form of them.

I get the impression that you haven't studied much biology or psychology.

My major is in biology. I've never taken a psychology course and don't really care to as I have a low opinion of the overall field of study. If I was better at math I would have majored in chemistry or physics but I suck at math (most high school dropouts that roll dice gambling are far better at math than I am) and I do pretty well in biology--at the undergrad level. But undergrad chemistry and physics is like graduate level biology in rigor.

Science has no rulers.

Physics is known as the queen of science. Some phrase or title like that anyways.

Eh... one of the physics teachers at my university told me the mathematics department looks down upon the physics department (the mathematicians view themselves as the "purists" he says), and the physics department looks down on the chemistry department, and the chemistry department down upon the biology department. LOL. We both it a bit humorous.

I have little ego invested in this. I'm fully aware chemistry and physics are far more quantitative and more rigorous than biology. That's why I picked biology. The prerequisites of chemistry and physics are my major problems in biology (but you can't really advanced in biology without them because those to form the overwhelming deterministic and predictive attributes of biological organisms).

Why would that make it less of a science?

I've already explained that. I'm not going to keep going around in circles.

Upvote 0

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Not surprising in the least. APA altered their "findings" in subsequent publications of DSM after I think it was version IV, as pertains to a certain community described by SCOTUS back in June.
No new evidence to alter prior diagnosis, they edited the DSM due to harassment. When they did that this latest isn't at all surprising. Because when they did that thing, that can't be discussed here only alluded to without specifics, they made the credibility of everything in the DSM come into question.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/08/28/study-finds-studies-are-wrong

Study Finds: Studies Are Wrong
A major project to reproduce study results from psychology journals found that more than half could not be replicated.

Peter Suderman|Aug. 28, 2015 10:59 am

"One of the bedrock assumptions of science is that for a study's results to be valid, other researchers should be able to reproduce the study and reach the same conclusions. The ability to successfully reproduce a study and find the same results is, as much as anything, how we know that its findings are true, rather than a one-off result.

This seems obvious, but in practice, a lot more work goes into original studies designed to create interesting conclusions than into the rather less interesting work of reproducing studies that have already been done to see whether their results hold up.

That's why efforts like the Reproducibility Project, which attempted to retest findings from 100 studies in three top-tier psychology journals, are so important. As it turns out, findings from the majority of the studies the project attempted to redo could not be reproduced. The New York Times"...

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean "how so"?
I mean "how so?" All science is built on inferences. An inference is defined as "a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning." You are claiming that chemistry and physics have less of that and that this somehow makes them more scientific.
Medicine, medical science, is only successful because of chemistry and physics, the known laws of chemistry and physics applied to biology of humans. The chemical processes in a cell and how fluid moves throughout bodily organs all are governed by the laws of chemistry and physics. These things are deterministic (can't be any other way) and therefore predictive.
That doesn't follow. You are conflating several levels of analysis in a greedily reductionistic move.
What do you mean "Yes, and?"

The reason a philosophy of science began was so that scientists with doctoral degrees in philosophy could distinguish how say... modern medicine, pharmacology, differentiated between say the practice of primitive "medicine men." Of how science is differentiated from astrology. That is to say, "what makes science different."

One of the key characteristics--in terms of aims--those early philosophers of science determined about science was its goal of predictive power. You couldn't have forensic science without it. You couldn't have forensic analysis of how fast a car was traveling when it crashed based upon crash scene physical evidence left without this "predictiveness" inherent as it is in deterministic phenomena.

All of our technological advances and medical advances spring from chemistry and physics. Some form of them.
From xkcd:
degree_off.png

Physics is known as the queen of science. Some phrase or title like that anyways.
Known to who? I've never heard physics called that, not even by physicists.
Eh... one of the physics teachers at my university told me the mathematics department looks down upon the physics department (the mathematicians view themselves as the "purists" he says), and the physics department looks down on the chemistry department, and the chemistry department down upon the biology department. LOL. We both it a bit humorous.
That hasn't been my experience at all. I've found that most of the people concerned by this nebulous concept of "purity" are undergraduates, particularly those who are unsure of their chosen career path.
I have little ego invested in this. I'm fully aware chemistry and physics are far more quantitative and more rigorous than biology. That's why I picked biology. The prerequisites of chemistry and physics are my major problems in biology (but you can't really advanced in biology without them because those to form the overwhelming deterministic and predictive attributes of biological organisms).
So you picked biology not because you were interested in it, but because it appeared far less quantitative and rigorous to you? Appearances can be deceiving and it would be ill-considered to select a major based on them.
I've already explained that. I'm not going to keep going around in circles.
No, you haven't. How does the probabilistic nature of inference make something less of a science? By that logic, quantum mechanics is less of a science than Newtonian mechanics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I mean "how so?" All science is built on inferences. An inference is defined as "a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning." You are claiming that chemistry and physics have less of that and that this somehow makes them more scientific.

You are cherry picking what I said, and I suspect because your ego is involved. Why is that? What is your degree in?

I know what "inference" mean. And that's why I said chemistry and physics depend less on inferences than biology. And I stated that in relation to the deterministic nature of the physical sciences which give them their greater predictive power.

Example: Potassium interacting with water.

That always will happen--it is deterministic--and no "inferences" are needed as throwing potassium in water once, twice, or a trillion times touches on several things important to science: observation (of an experiment), repeatability, ability to predict outcome.

As opposed to say descent with modification as an explanation to human origins. Zero observation (of any experiment producing an actual human from another primate species), zero repeatability, zero ability to predict outcome. However, the explanation is accepted through inferences from the fossil record.

Biology in this way reminds me of my Catholic past with bone relics from saints and stories about the bones.

Yes, that does not mean chemistry and physics don't uses inferences. It was and is needed at the atomic level. But one would really be pushing it to conflate those physical sciences with biology. But even with that... like I said at some point one can't advance in the biological sciences without having an increased grasp on chemistry and physics as it is the laws of chemistry and physics that actually drive the internal functions of biological organisms.

I mean really... look at the "science" of taxonomically classifying things in biology prior to that area of biology using genetics to classify things. Come on... that was more of an "art" than a science. I even had a biology teacher say so.

That doesn't follow. You are conflating several levels of analysis in a greedily reductionistic move.

It follows well enough. I gave an explanation. You've responded with none but an accusation, which leads me to believe you really know nothing much at all about biology. Granted engineering and medicine are what's termed "applied sciences," nonetheless the civil or electrical engineer draws heavily from the physical sciences. And in medicine--all that prescription medication--that's based and drawn from the physical science of chemistry.

But no two human beings are alike physiologically--not even identical twins--if for no other reason than lifestyle differences. One twin may smoke tobacco or work in a coal mine or eat a lot more greasy food. Whatever. All prescription medication will not work the same--if at all--on all individuals. This is where the medical doctors expertise comes into play in adjusting medication or switching prescriptions. This one might say is the greater area of "biology." The lesser deterministic part. The complexity part of unique organisms even in single species.

But these advancements you think of in medicine and cellphone technology are overwhelmingly, almost entirely, coming from the physical sciences (via the "applied sciences").

Don't even try making a rebuttal because it's becoming pretty clear to me you have no idea what you're talking about. Let me guess?

From xkcd:
degree_off.png

Known to who? I've never heard physics called that, not even by physicists.

That's you're problem if you've never heard that. Not mine. The physics department at UW-Milwaukee had that posted up on one of their walls in the physics building trying to entice more students enroll in physics courses or major in physics.

I guess now you're going to tell me you've never heard of various departments in universities trying to persuade students to take their classes or pick them as a major, eh?

That hasn't been my experience at all. I've found that most of the people concerned by this nebulous concept of "purity" are undergraduates, particularly those who are unsure of their chosen career path.

These were people with advanced degrees he was speaking of. Not undergrads. Undergrads do not run the various academic departments in a university.

So you picked biology not because you were interested in it, but because it appeared far less quantitative and rigorous to you? Appearances can be deceiving and it would be ill-considered to select a major based on them.

I never said I wasn't interested in biology. I said I suck at math--and fully aware of this--I picked biology instead of chemistry or physics. I started in school at age 35 and already steeped in crack cocaine addiction. Both my brothers are far better at math than myself, the youngest could easily obtain a Ph.D. in math if he wanted, nearly all high school drop outs in the USA are better at math than myself. By me taking up a science, a natural science, was like me with my mathematical limitations say... deciding I'm enroll in Army Ranger school. Physics might be like me trying to become a Navy SEAL except fully knowing I don't know how to swim.

So, I picked biology because I knew that while it would be some challenge for me I could still have better odds passing through it than I would taking chemistry of physics. And I was right.

So, I'm not listening to any berating. Most Americans can--if they desired--obtain a bachelor degree in biology. Because most have the math skills. They simply choose not. Some have other interest consume them. Others simply want an easier route even though they could do the work with passing grades.

No, you haven't. How does the probabilistic nature of inference make something less of a science? By that logic, quantum mechanics is less of a science than Newtonian mechanics.

I've already stated what I've stated and I'm not going to go in circles repeating myself.

The bedrock of the thing here is that men with doctoral degrees in science and philosophy as philosophers of science have criticized psychology as not being a science. They were men with Ph.D.'s and not "undergrads." And this was taught to me in a philosophy of science class, lectured by a man with a Ph.D. and the required reading material authored by learned persons with Ph.D.'s.

So, you can attempt to make this a personal attack on me all you want.

Funny thing is I haven't taken any psychology course and yet my ego does not get in the way of me fairly judging biology for what it is next to chemistry and physics.

Mind you... biology as a subject takes a lot more work out of me than 98% of the other subjects I've taken in college. Although my philosophy courses were usually pretty tough, but in a different way.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You are cherry picking what I said, and I suspect because your ego is involved.
What am I cherry-picking? You said that chemistry and physics involve fewer inferences and you implied that this somehow makes them more scientific.
Why is that? What is your degree in?
My background is in neuropsychology. I also have a degree in philosophy.
I know what "inference" mean. And that's why I said chemistry and physics depend less on inferences than biology.
If you grasp what 'inference' means, then you'd know that such a statement doesn't even make sense.
And I stated that in relation to the deterministic nature of the physical sciences which give them their greater predictive power.

Example: Potassium interacting with water.

That always will happen--it is deterministic--and no "inferences" are needed as throwing potassium in water once, twice, or a trillion times touches on several things important to science: observation (of an experiment), repeatability, ability to predict outcome.
If you know what 'inference' means, then you'd know why this example doesn't work.
As opposed to say descent with modification as an explanation to human origins. Zero observation (of any experiment producing an actual human from another primate species), zero repeatability, zero ability to predict outcome. However, the explanation is accepted through inferences from the fossil record.
You say you studied biology? I'm beginning to suspect otherwise.
Yes, that does not mean chemistry and physics don't uses inferences. It was and is needed at the atomic level. But one would really be pushing it to conflate those physical sciences with biology. But even with that... like I said at some point one can't advance in the biological sciences without having an increased grasp on chemistry and physics as it is the laws of chemistry and physics that actually drive the internal functions of biological organisms.

I mean really... look at the "science" of taxonomically classifying things in biology prior to that area of biology using genetics to classify things. Come on... that was more of an "art" than a science. I even had a biology teacher say so.
Yet it was later largely confirmed by genetics.
It follows well enough. I gave an explanation. You've responded with none but an accusation, which leads me to believe you really know nothing much at all about biology.
No, it doesn't follow. You conflated several levels of analysis.
Don't even try making a rebuttal because it's becoming pretty clear to me you have no idea what you're talking about. Let me guess?
I'm not sure what you expect me to present a rebuttal to. You haven't presented anything worth rebutting yet. Your posts have been all bluster.
That's you're problem if you've never heard that. Not mine. The physics department at UW-Milwaukee had that posted up on one of their walls in the physics building trying to entice more students enroll in physics courses or major in physics.
Cool story bro.
These were people with advanced degrees he was speaking of. Not undergrads. Undergrads do not run the various academic departments in a university.
Exactly. In my experience, people with advanced degrees are less likely to be this myopic. It's usually undergrads who are obsessed by this nebulous concept of "purity," particularly those who are unsure of their chosen career path. Scientists don't much care.
I've already stated what I've stated and I'm not going to go in circles repeating myself.
I'm not asking you to repeat yourself. I'm asking you to substantiate your claims, something you have yet to do.
The bedrock of the thing here is that men with doctoral degrees in science and philosophy as philosophers of science have criticized psychology as not being a science. They were men with Ph.D.'s and not "undergrads." And this was taught to me in a philosophy of science class, lectured by a man with a Ph.D. and the required reading material authored by learned persons with Ph.D.'s.
So what? Other men and women with PhDs' have reached the opposite conclusion, so your appeal to authority falls flat. Either present an argument or go home.
Funny thing is I haven't taken any psychology course and yet my ego does not get in the way of me fairly judging biology for what it is next to chemistry and physics.
Your appraisal of the situation is far from fair. You didn't answer my question: "How does the probabilistic nature of inference make something less of a science? By that logic, quantum mechanics is less of a science than Newtonian mechanics."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2009
✟8,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not surprised. I've read in the past problems seen with how studies have been reported and not reported when it comes to anti-depressant medication.
Antidepressants generally no better than placebo, but that doesn’t mean they’re easy to stop

http://www.drbriffa.com/2008/02/27/...ebo-but-that-doesnt-mean-theyre-easy-to-stop/

I don’t know what health news stories were circulating in other parts of the globe, but here in the UK we have not been able to move for the ‘revelation’ that, for the majority of people who take them, popular antidepressants work no better than placebo.

This story was spawned from the results of a newly published study which assessed the results of trials of four antidepressants including those of the SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) type, such as paroxetine (Seroxat) and fluoxetine (Prozac) [1]. What was interesting about this study is that it mixed up the results of not just published studies, but unpublished research too.

The reason that this is relevant is that the pharmaceutical industry is well known to engage in a spot of ‘publication bias’ when it suits it. This practice, essentially of publishing favourable results while ‘burying’ less useful data, can give doctors and their patients a very skewed impression of the effectiveness of a treatment. Putting published and unpublished (well, at least the stuff we can get our hands on�) together will inevitably give a more accurate guide to whether a treatment works or not.

In this case, the mix of published and unpublished data showed that antidepressants appear not to work any better than placebo for all but the most severely depressed. Seeing as the great majority of people who take antidepressants do not fall into the ‘severely depressed’ category, the results of this study suggest that, in the main, they’d be just as well off with a sugar pill as they are with their expensive and potentially toxic antidepressant....

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not surprised. I've read in the past problems seen with how studies have been reported and not reported when it comes to anti-depressant medication.
Antidepressants generally no better than placebo, but that doesn’t mean they’re easy to stop

http://www.drbriffa.com/2008/02/27/...ebo-but-that-doesnt-mean-theyre-easy-to-stop/

I don’t know what health news stories were circulating in other parts of the globe, but here in the UK we have not been able to move for the ‘revelation’ that, for the majority of people who take them, popular antidepressants work no better than placebo.

This story was spawned from the results of a newly published study which assessed the results of trials of four antidepressants including those of the SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) type, such as paroxetine (Seroxat) and fluoxetine (Prozac) [1]. What was interesting about this study is that it mixed up the results of not just published studies, but unpublished research too.

The reason that this is relevant is that the pharmaceutical industry is well known to engage in a spot of ‘publication bias’ when it suits it. This practice, essentially of publishing favourable results while ‘burying’ less useful data, can give doctors and their patients a very skewed impression of the effectiveness of a treatment. Putting published and unpublished (well, at least the stuff we can get our hands on�) together will inevitably give a more accurate guide to whether a treatment works or not.

In this case, the mix of published and unpublished data showed that antidepressants appear not to work any better than placebo for all but the most severely depressed. Seeing as the great majority of people who take antidepressants do not fall into the ‘severely depressed’ category, the results of this study suggest that, in the main, they’d be just as well off with a sugar pill as they are with their expensive and potentially toxic antidepressant....
This appears to be more relevant to psychiatry, not psychology per se. However, as I noted earlier, reproducibility is something that should concern everyone in the scientific community.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What am I cherry-picking? You said that chemistry and physics involve fewer inferences and you implied that this somehow makes them more scientific.

You just cherry picked again. I didn't simply make my statement about "inferences" alone, standing alone by itself, I made it in context to what in science is known as determinism and I with respect to "determinism" I stated the physical sciences therefore more deterministic provide greater powers of prediction. Which actually ties into this thread about the principal of repeatability or the lack thereof in scientific experiments (also known as tests).

The word "inference" is used in English grammatically to say, "I inferred from your statement," as opposed to "I was inferring that A comes before C." The former is grammatically correct the latter is grammatically incorrect. The latter should read, "I was implying that A comes before "

So, why is that important? Because "inference" is not the same as "determinism" and inferences natural to the thinking processes of all men and women. Klanmen infer from x, y, z. So do Republicans. So do creationist. So do people that are into tarot cards are reading the palms of peoples hands.

Theology as a academic field of inquiry makes inferences from x, y, z. Christians and Muslims and Buddhists per their own beliefs as well as observations of the physical world make inferences. Christians infer a First Cause to the universe by which they call God the "First Cause."

So, if theologians and members of the KKK and tarot card readers all infer from x, y, z observations and evidence, then what differentiates "science" from them. It has to be more than merely inferences.

Here was a 19th century life science as widely believed as solid, objective, science as the heritability of homosexuality was during the late 1990s. It desired human behavioral traits to be "deterministic" and therefore predictable. And what was it grounded on? 100% inferences.

Now, if we'd gone back into the 19th century with you holding your unquestioning beliefs as you do, you'd be berating me as being some dumb undergrad that can't comprehend how equal a science phrenology is to chemistry and physics. Rambling on again that they all use inferences.

My background is in neuropsychology. I also have a degree in philosophy.

And akin to neuroscientist you want biological organism with their behavioral traits to be as deterministic as the chemical elements in chemistry or motions in physics--and therefore you want to be able to pontificate about how you can predict and explain human behaviors and priests, rabbis, and Buddhists monks can't.

If you grasp what 'inference' means, then you'd know that such a statement doesn't even make sense.

If you know what 'inference' means, then you'd know why this example doesn't work.

Look above. The KKK makes inferences. The KKK makes inferences. And the very first post of this thread is essentially about people in psychology running tests, making inferences from data, making conclusions, and half those results published not being able to be replicated (violating the principal of repeatability--why? Because inference and determinism are not one and the same. The former does not mean you can acquire predictive powers, the latter however does).

You can thank this undergrad later for giving you some lessons on science.

You say you studied biology? I'm beginning to suspect otherwise.

Yeah, well, I'm not surprised you've studied psychology. Had you lived during the 19th century and studied phrenology in the 19th century you'd have been one of its greatest, militant defenders.

Upvote 0

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not surprising in the least. APA altered their "findings" in subsequent publications of DSM after I think it was version IV, as pertains to a certain community described by SCOTUS back in June.
No new evidence to alter prior diagnosis, they edited the DSM due to harassment. When they did that this latest isn't at all surprising. Because when they did that thing, that can't be discussed here only alluded to without specifics, they made the credibility of everything in the DSM come into question.
If you are referring to the declassification of homosexuality as a mental illness, you are completely and categorically wrong on all counts. The DSM classification was changed because of mounting evidence that there is no reason to consider homosexuality a mental illness.
Yeah, well, I'm not surprised you've studied psychology. Had you lived during the 19th century and studied phrenology in the 19th century you'd have been one of its greatest, militant defenders.
Psychology as practiced today is leaps and bounds more advanced than it was in the 19th century.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To expand more on the topic at hand:

I have a Bachelors of Science in Psychology. During my time at University I met with some of the most respected minds in the field, including the man who more or less founded the discipline of cultural psychology, Joseph Trimble, as well as a man who was a student of Ulrich Neisser. I feel incredibly privileged that I was instructed by such brilliant people. During my time studying psychology I came to know that the only thing my instructors ever seemed to agree on was that the way in which we conduct research is flawed (not the methods themselves, but rather the participants we choose as well as publishing practices). The only real consensus are that we are hampering our progress of understanding by using college students as our research pool, and that the publishing process, largely driven by economic necessity, is in trouble. One of the most damning indictments against the current publication system is that studies only get published if they display statistically significant results, meaning a result that through statistical analysis that is less than 5% (in some cases less than 1%) likely due to chance. This hurts the publication process in three ways. 1) A number (not insignificant unfortunately) of researchers will falsify their data. 2) Researchers may very well be wasting time in an investigation that will yield no results because they are unaware of previous "failed" research, thus stretching already thin resources. 3) As a consequence of 2, a study may very well be a fluke or an outlier if it finds something stat sig simply because it's been tried enough times without anyone else really knowing about it.

We definitely need projects like the Reproducibility Project. We also need to expand participant pools beyond college campuses. These problems again are a matter of economic conditions. It's cheaper to use college students, because class credit is cheaper than financial compensation. It's cheaper to use only stat sig studies because people don't want to read articles about studies that "failed", and thus will probably not subscribe to a journal that presents too many "failed" studies. These aren't some nefarious issues where psychologists are intentionally trying to dupe the world to believe their conclusions. All you need to do to dispel that myth is to talk to an experimental psychologist about their conclusions of their research. More often than not they will tell you straight away why their research conclusions are more conjectural than actual evidence.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You reminded me of a joke my college psychology prof made. It was something like 'We don't know much about people in general, but we know everything about college sophomores'.
Yeah, I was just about to say that joke. Your professor didn't make it up, but it makes me laugh every time. ^_^

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You just cherry picked again. I didn't simply make my statement about "inferences" alone, standing alone by itself, I made it in context to what in science is known as determinism and I with respect to "determinism" I stated the physical sciences therefore more deterministic provide greater powers of prediction. Which actually ties into this thread about the principal of repeatability or the lack thereof in scientific experiments (also known as tests).

The word "inference" is used in English grammatically to say, "I inferred from your statement," as opposed to "I was inferring that A comes before C." The former is grammatically correct the latter is grammatically incorrect. The latter should read, "I was implying that A comes before "

So, why is that important? Because "inference" is not the same as "determinism" and inferences natural to the thinking processes of all men and women. Klanmen infer from x, y, z. So do Republicans. So do creationist. So do people that are into tarot cards are reading the palms of peoples hands.

Theology as a academic field of inquiry makes inferences from x, y, z. Christians and Muslims and Buddhists per their own beliefs as well as observations of the physical world make inferences. Christians infer a First Cause to the universe by which they call God the "First Cause."

So, if theologians and members of the KKK and tarot card readers all infer from x, y, z observations and evidence, then what differentiates "science" from them. It has to be more than merely inferences.
Remember that an inference is defined as "a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning." All science is built on inferences, but not all inferences are scientific. Due to various kinds of bias, people are prone to detecting spurious patterns in nature. Science helps us to differentiate genuine patterns from spurious ones.
Here was a 19th century life science as widely believed as solid, objective, science as the heritability of homosexuality was during the late 1990s. It desired human behavioral traits to be "deterministic" and therefore predictable.
Should we also judge contemporary physics by what 19th century physicists believed?
And what was it grounded on? 100% inferences.
Yes. As I pointed out, science helps us to differentiate genuine patterns from spurious ones. That's why phrenology was abandoned.
Now, if we'd gone back into the 19th century with you holding your unquestioning beliefs as you do, you'd be berating me as being some dumb undergrad that can't comprehend how equal a science phrenology is to chemistry and physics. Rambling on again that they all use inferences.
Why are you assuming that I would be committed to defend phrenology? I would join you in being skeptical about it. If phrenology continually yields erroneous inferences, then we discard it. That's how science works. That's why phrenology is no longer practiced. Your example is one of science working as it should!
And akin to neuroscientist you want biological organism with their behavioral traits to be as deterministic as the chemical elements in chemistry or motions in physics--and therefore you want to be able to pontificate about how you can predict and explain human behaviors and priests, rabbis, and Buddhists monks can't.
Are you suggesting that priests, rabbis, and imams are better able to explain and predict human behaviour than those who actually study it? According to some priests, rabbis, and imams, mental illness and seizures are caused by demonic possession, which can be cured by exorcism. Is this a better explanation of those conditions than what is currently known in psychology and neuroscience?
Look above. The KKK makes inferences. The KKK makes inferences. And the very first post of this thread is essentially about people in psychology running tests, making inferences from data, making conclusions, and half those results published not being able to be replicated (violating the principal of repeatability--why? Because inference and determinism are not one and the same. The former does not mean you can acquire predictive powers, the latter however does).
As the authors' of that study noted, this is science working as it should. I quoted their conclusion here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting, as reproducibility studies always are.

I would be very interested to see what an investigation into experimental sociological publications turns up.
That last statement is problematic.

Upvote 0