Kafir
May 30, 2009
Canada
✟9,589.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yikes, fromy - you've scared me with that I-irab post :) I'm kinda in state of half-coma right now :destroyed:

Thanks for the scans, Becky! I'm going to study them after posting this. And your writing DOES look really cool - mine is atrocious...And how far are you in Arabic? I mean, speaking, reading...? I've re-learned the alphabet today *proud* :thumbsup:

From what I know, Modern Standard Arabic is used mainly on TV and in print. People don't speak in MSA, they always use some kind of dialect. And by Shami I think fromy meant Levantine Arabic, right? Palestine, Israel, Jordan, etc area.

Just ignore the I-irab.

we in Arabic usually would say Arabic Fus'ha the difference between the old Arabic and the MSA is different vocabulary, but in your case it is better to learn MSA because it is the true Arabic and many people say that we should get rid of all the local dialects and speak Fus'ha once again in our normal life.

Yes shami is Levantine Arabic, we call that area bilad a-sham بلاد الشام

Upvote 0

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If Fus'ha is MSA, then I think this is what I'm learning from those CDs I bought. I think this teacher does mention this at the beginning of the course, but I'm not sure anymore. I have to listen again to that part.

I want to learn the classical Arabic, because my goal is to read the Qur'an one day, and to converse with other Arabs is not so important for me (the thing is I have no Arabs to converse with :sorry:).

formy, which dialect do you speak in Saudi? And do you know which dialect Arabs in UAE speak?

Upvote 0

Mahammad

Kafir
May 30, 2009
Canada
✟9,589.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If Fus'ha is MSA, then I think this is what I'm learning from those CDs I bought. I think this teacher does mention this at the beginning of the course, but I'm not sure anymore. I have to listen again to that part.

I want to learn the classical Arabic, because my goal is to read the Qur'an one day, and to converse with other Arabs is not so important for me (the thing is I have no Arabs to converse with :sorry:).

formy, which dialect do you speak in Saudi? And do you know which dialect Arabs in UAE speak?

i speak the Najdi even tho I lived my whole life in the east, but I'm originally from Najd (the middle).

Emirites have there own dialect, it's similar to Qatari but not the same.

Upvote 0

Lindley

Jul 3, 2009
Ukraine
✟7,699.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I also want to learn the MSA. As for a dialect, I guess my choice would be either Levantine, Egyptian or Gulf Arabic...or all of them ;) I think once you've learned the Standard, it won't be difficult to learn several dialects. The grammar is the hardest part, and it's mainly the same.

So, what's up with out next lesson? Or do we still have questions about this one?

Upvote 0

Lindley

Jul 3, 2009
Ukraine
✟7,699.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Okay. The first set of screens is about Past Tense.

graphic16112009231802.jpg

graphic16112009231831.jpg

graphic16112009231839.jpg

graphic16112009231848.jpg

The second one - how to say "where are you from" and "what's your name", plus some exercises to practice material from your dialogues, Becky.

Fromy, if you will be so kind as to give us these sentences in Arabic script, we'll be very grateful! MY book only gives them in transliteration :(

graphic16112009232139.jpg

graphic16112009232358.jpg

graphic16112009232420.jpg

Is that enough of material? The next chapter covers "do you speak" phrases. I can post those as well, if you want. Or we can save them for my next turn :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mahammad

Kafir
May 30, 2009
Canada
✟9,589.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
what is your name?

in the book: إيش إسمك/إسمتش

إسمتش for a female in eastern gulf Areas (UAE, Qatar, Bahrain ،Kuwait and some parts of eastern Saudi)

in Fus'ha: ما إسمٌكََ(ma ismuka)

and for a female ما إسمُكِ (ma ismuki)

my name is Jack Smart

there's a mistake in this sentence it should be إسمي جاك سمارت (ismi Jack Smart) without ana/أنا

Where are you from?

book: إنتا/إنتي من وين؟

fus'ha: من أين أنت (min aina anta/anti) anti=talking to a female

Where is she/he from?

book: هوا من وين

fus'ha: من أين هو/هي (min aina hua/hya) hya=talking to a female

She is from Qatar:

book: هي من قطر

fus'ha: إنها من قطر (inha min Qatar) T=ط I hope you know how to pronounce ط

I am from America:

book: أنا من أمريكا

Fus'ha: same & إني من أمريكا (inee mn Amrika)

I'll do the rest tomorrow now I'm too tired and it's too late.

Upvote 0