Study by Catholic Group Shows Government Programs Reduce the Number of Abortions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From a study funded by "Catholics in Alliance":

Analysis of nationwide data suggests that the economic status of pregnant women factors prominently
into their abortion decision.
Public policies that provide assistance and support to low-income
families are rarely framed as ways to reduce the incidence of abortion. However, the findings from
this study suggest that a two standard deviation difference among states in the reported level of
economic assistance to low income families is correlated with a 20% lower abortion rate. Across
the entire United States, this translates into 200,000 fewer abortions. The Welfare Reform Act of
1996 allowed states to impose a cap on the number of children eligible to receive economic assistance
in low-income families. Removing this family cap would decrease abortions by about 15% or
150,000 nationwide. The findings also suggest that, in the 1990s, states with more generous grants
to women, infants and children under the age of five as provided by the Special Supplemental Nutrition
Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program had a 37% lower abortion rate.

Finally, higher male employment in the 1990s was associated with a 29% lower abortion rate

Click to read the whole study.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"Catholic in Alliance" is a partisan pro-Abortion group. They have an ageda of keeping abortion legal and trying to get people to vote accordingly. Nice try though.

Do you have any real evidence of that? Or is it just an unsubstantiated allegation you're tossing around in an attempt to try to discredit the facts this group uncovered in their study, which happen to disagree with your opinions?

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"Catholic in Alliance" is a partisan pro-Abortion group. They have an ageda of keeping abortion legal and trying to get people to vote accordingly. Nice try though.

Some disagree.

I know this is probably going to fall on deaf ears, but - did you even look at that study? It looks legit.

Also, I realise I might be too much with the Eurotrash crowd, but - isn't this a mayor "well, duh" statistic?

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As you say, some people will turn completely deaf ears to this, but I've scanned through the study and it IS serious. Interesting findings, in fact.

LWU (and others), tell me something. If Catholics for a Free Choice published an article showing that women who have had abortions suffer from feelings of trauma, would you conclude that women who have had an abortion do NOT suffer from truma?

If EWTN produced a show that suggests that most Catholics are secret Satanists, will you believe it?

See? If an organisation is "good", they can still say something wrong, and if an organisation is "bad", you still cannot dismiss everything they say just like that. You ARE called to make a little mental effort every time and come to your own conclusion, you know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.